User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    1. You will need to file for and receive a 6NIA permit that is good for a year.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^ Absolutely correct that as a general rule, non US citizens are not allowed to bring a firearm into the US. Exceptions being a competition shooter or hunting. 6NIA is your first step.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I was in Houston last year and went to the Athena gun range and shot full auto. I can't believe they wouldn't let me take a 45acp and a 12 ga down there with me....
    I'm a member at Athena as I'm in Houston regularly because my godchildren are there, and we are an extended family of shooters.

Canadian firearm regs are like a mixed breed between Australian regulations and those of my wonderful home State of New Jersey (lots of sarcasm there). Nonetheless, you will find truth in what I posted. Once upon a time I worked for global engineering firm founded in Canada. Pretty universally, engineers are avid shooters as we take to the science and discipline of shooting naturally. That said, it afforded me the opportunity to learn the details, and it is easier for an American citizen to bring our firearms into Canada than the reciprocal. A CAFC 909 EF, in triplicate of course, and $25USD gets 60 days or permission, which can be extended for no charge and as long as extended BEFORE expiration if staying longer (do not get caught with an expired CAFC 909 EF), and you must follow the Canadian requirements for storage, transport etc. Of course, no guns considered prohibited up north can be brought in.
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-27-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rob
    You very correct. I am planning a trip to Alaska and I generally carry in the truck (case under seat) when traveling (have a concealed permit). In my many years of travel I have gotten it out twice to have right beside me. Yep I may be in trouble in some states, but it was there and I actually received training on proper shooting getting the CCW. I also like to practice. There is a great deal of satisfaction to make the center dot disappear.

I contacted both Canada and US customs about transporting a handgun through Canada. I cant even have it locked in the trailer through Canada as it is a semi auto. At lease that's what I got in calling and asking a few questions. The Canadian officer seemed a bit pissed at my questions. Us folks not so bad a few forms and I was good to go, Except once in Canada I was not so good. Made a point that north of the border....that whatever I did not to say self defense.

Well Nuff said - I will leave the fly swatter at home.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Rob
    .that whatever I did not to say self defense.

Well Nuff said - I will leave the fly swatter at home.
    Yes, while I do not agree with it, in Canada, 'the term 'self defense' is frowned upon. So is the action.

I prefer 'precision paper punch' to 'flyswatter'?

Thank you all for your replies, I think I have enough info to get started.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Of course, no guns considered prohibited up north can be brought in.
    FYI. Prohibited handguns in Canada are any 25cal or 32 cal pistol or revolver. OR any having a barrel length under 105mm.
    Not sure about the officer powerscol was talking to but semi-autos are not prohibited. I too have run into officers that impart their personal views rather than the law.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @geotex1
    Seems like you know a thing or two about the bureaucracy, do you think if I signed up for a GSSF membership or similar, that would be enough to be a considered a 'competitive' shooter?

As for the Athena range. I was in AWE of that place. Never seen a range so well appointed in Canada, that's for sure. The retail side reminded me of a jewelry store with all the plexiglass display cases.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    They are. In a nutshell anything automatic is completely prohibited. Hunting rifles, you need to take a federal safety course and pass of course and then a background check. They have to be locked at all times and not loaded. Now for hand guns, you need to pass another course, a stricter background check, need to be a member of a shooting range. Only shoot in a shoot range. Be locked and unloaded at all times. And.... when ever you want to go to the range, you need to inform the police where you are going to shot, when and your route, when you'll be returning. And do not get caught deviating from your route or schedule.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    You sound like the main stream media. Automatic weapons are controlled by some act back in the 30's. Big difference in automatic and semi-auto. Please be clear.
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize. I thought you were from the states. Regards
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kscaddo View Post
    I apologize. I thought you were from the states. Regards
    Someone was asking what the laws were in Canada. I know in the States it's different and I think it even varies between states.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look me up when you cross the border. I reload in my toy hauler, and have 1 of just about anything you might want to shoot, short of FA. We only travel in 2A-friendly states, and can typically be found from AZ to Florida in the winter, and Idaho to North Dakota in the summer.

If you plan on visiting "official" ranges, you can probably rent what you want to shoot, and the prices tend to be reasonable. Ammo, on the other hand, is scarce and very expensive down here right now... if you can find it at all.
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast