Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to shooting ranges in the USA

Hi All,
    After all this covid crap is over with, I'll be retired. (4 months) At least I hope we can see the end of it.... Our plan has always been to escape the worst of the Canadian winters in Arizona, Texas, etc in January through March.
    I'm an avid shooter. Mostly handguns and shotguns. My question is this, are Canadians allowed to bring handguns and shotguns into the USA? If I am, do I contact state officials or federal?
    Any links to what hoops I need to jump though would be appreciated.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I truly am dumbfounded and maybe a little dumb too. Ha.
    I really didn't think our northern continental brethren were allowed to have anything but a select few hunting rifles. I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to your question but would you enlighten me on Canada's gun laws?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm an avid shooter. Mostly handguns and shotguns. My question is this, are Canadians allowed to bring handguns and shotguns into the USA? If I am, do I contact state officials or federal?
    Any links to what hoops I need to jump though would be appreciated.
    Sure, bring all the weapons you want, especially to Texas. You just can't bring your Dodge, we have enough of them already...Texas is Ford country lol!! I kid I kid... A quick google search shows it's doable but you'll definitely have some hoops to jump through. Good luck and come on down. P.S. I love that saying in your signature...so true!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for that for hunting we are permitted to travel with rifles. Check the CBSA website for the how to. Rules surrounding hand guns are so strick that I doubt you'll be able too. But I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. You will need to file for and receive a 6NIA permit that is good for a year.
    2. For long guns, you're only going to be able to import them in for hunting purposes, and you will have to provide a current hunting permit in the State you are going to hunt in.
    3. Handguns... Do not even invest the time in the attempt. You will not be able to unless you are a recognized competitive shooter and have documentation showing your entry into a sanctioned event.

Amongst the many things I am, I am also a firearms instructor, former competitive shooter, and an an avid collector. Navigating internal US borders is challenging enough, let alone international!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Shooting Ranges have the ability to rent guns to use on their range.

You might want to call a couple of ranges in the area you intend to be staying at to see if it is possible to rent a hand gun at their Range as a Canadian.

Good Luck!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tatetoter View Post
    I truly am dumbfounded and maybe a little dumb too. Ha.
    I really didn't think our northern continental brethren were allowed to have anything but a select few hunting rifles. I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to your question but would you enlighten me on Canada's gun laws?

I also thought Canada had strict gun laws.
    I hope we can get clarification.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are. In a nutshell anything automatic is completely prohibited. Hunting rifles, you need to take a federal safety course and pass of course and then a background check. They have to be locked at all times and not loaded. Now for hand guns, you need to pass another course, a stricter background check, need to be a member of a shooting range. Only shoot in a shoot range. Be locked and unloaded at all times. And.... when ever you want to go to the range, you need to inform the police where you are going to shot, when and your route, when you'll be returning. And do not get caught deviating from your route or schedule.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    They are. In a nutshell anything automatic is completely prohibited. Hunting rifles, you need to take a federal safety course and pass of course and then a background check. They have to be locked at all times and not loaded. Now for hand guns, you need to pass another course, a stricter background check, need to be a member of a shooting range. Only shoot in a shoot range. Be locked and unloaded at all times. And.... when ever you want to go to the range, you need to inform the police where you are going to shot, when and your route, when you'll be returning. And do not get caught deviating from your route or schedule.

Well....I'm not sure if you are going off ON or QC rules......
    Locked and unloaded when you are not there on the property with them.
    Federal safety course is a joke. The handgun course actually teaches you to point the business end of a handgun at your head to check if it is unloaded. Really. Myself I prefer to check the breech. But so I would pass, I did as instructed for the federal firearms course.
    Teaches nothing about safety other than keep them locked when you are not in attendance. (IMO, a good thing)
    In Ontario, you do not need to inform police of going to the range.
    The rule here (Ontario)is you need to be taking a 'reasonably' direct route to the range. No notification needed. If you are stopped and have a handgun and you are 100 miles from the range...you may have an issue.
    And like in the States, full auto is prohibited for most people. There are people in Canada with full auto rights. Grandfathered from 1978.
    To Tatetoter, I have about 100 firearms. AR15s, pistols, revolvers,shotguns etc. It's not that we can't own them. It's more about the rules having them. But, if you want to know more about the bureaucratic mess I have to deal with, PM is probably better? Maybe? I'm ok with putting out everything on the forum but not sure if the moderators want it?

Geotex's post has me worried though. So I can't bring a select few guns down there with me? Even to Texas?!? Maybe if I buy/apply for a Texas hunting license?

I was in Houston last year and went to the Athena gun range and shot full auto. I can't believe they wouldn't let me take a 45acp and a 12 ga down there with me....
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 10-27-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, probably too much for this board. Wouldnt mind learning about it but don't need to take more of your time. I'll do some googling.
    As far as in the states, if you end up not getting the answers you wanted to hear and get an itchy trigger finger while you are down here, hit me up. At least if you pass through Utah. Maybe it will tide you over til you get back home. I understand that you probably want your own firearms but the bunnies don't know the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast