User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-350: Between the cab and the bed

Hi all – Stuck to the exterior rear wall of the cab, just in front of the bed, is a ¼” thick felt pad. There’s one on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Anyone know what the purpose of this is?

I discovered the pad on the passenger side detached along the top edge and partially dropped down, somewhat in an inverted “U” shape. I have no idea how long it’s been like this or how it could have happened. The issue is this left the sticky side of this pad facing up. A few weeks ago we found ourselves camping under a bunch of pine trees during a heavy windstorm. Now there’s a big wad of pine needles stuck in there due to the exposed adhesive on the pad. I could probably rip that pad off but the only way to re-attach it would be to take the bed off first which is way more effort than I want to consider.

I know it’s not critical – more of an annoyance. Anyone run into this? I wonder if it was like this from the factory? Maybe fixable under warranty?

Here's the driver's side which is fine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver side_2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	30434

Here's the passenger side with the pine needles stuck in there:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passenger side.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	30435
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is it's for sound abatement. I have the same thing on my truck.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is it's for sound abatement.
    Yeah, I was thinking that too but wonder why they wouldn't put it on the interior surface of the cab.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that too but wonder why they wouldn't put it on the interior surface of the cab.
    They do. The interior cab wall has and insulated type semi rigid board on mine for noise reduction as well. Yours should definitely be a warranty repair, I'd see your dealer.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yours should definitely be a warranty repair, I'd see your dealer.
    Thanks - I'll give them a call.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does Ford still have the cab air filter near there
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Does Ford still have the cab air filter near there
    They have the little rubber flap thingies that vent cabin pressure when you shut the doors, most vehicles have these somewhere. The cabin air filter is in the right side dash in the heater/ac box.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly enough XL's don't get the exterior pads on the cab and it makes a big difference. I have a 2019 F150 XL for my work truck and we just got a 2020 F350 XL. They are both noticeably noisier than my XLT. I figured the difference was insulation of some kind but until this post, I didn't know where. I wonder if there are other places that are insulated on higher trims.
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I took it to my Ford dealer and they'd never seen anything like this before. After a little research, they did confirm it would be covered under warranty BUT they couldn't do the work there (it's a small dealership). Instead, they want to send me to a body shop that they work with down the street (still at no cost to me). I was very concerned about taking my still-nearly-new truck to some body shop that may or may not be familiar with doing something like this (removing the bed from a Ford Superduty). I wanted the Ford guys to work on it.

So I drove it down to another large Ford dealership that has a big truck shop. That guy explained to me that because it's considered a "body" repair (exterior of the cab), Ford does not allow their dealerships to do the work and therefore requires them to send me to a body shop. I found that interesting.

My wife says it'll be just our luck to get it back from the body shop and something won't be right.

Now scratching my head on next steps. Maybe I'll talk to the body shop and see what kind of vibe I get from them. . . .

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @orbsah I would find a good Ford dealer that has a body shop that you feel comfortable with. Removing the bed is really a simple operation, they don't need to remove it completely anyway, just slide back enough to get to the front of it. I've seen it done in our body shop and not a big deal. Now watching them lift the cab off the frame to do engine work is terrifying!!
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast