Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toilet Flange Connection to Black Tank Pipe Removal Question

Background, I installed a compost toilet shortly after purchase of our Solitude 310GK and when I did I left most of the toilet plumbing in a position to return to in case of selling. To set the compost toilet in place I cut wood the size and shape of the toilet and cut an opening in the center for the toilet flange and the pipe plug I secured in the pipe. I am now considering removing that wood spacer and the flange to set the toilet directly on the floor. Today I removed the screws for the flange and found it seemed to be secured to the pipe as it did not appear to separate from the pipe. Not wanting to cause any un-attended damage, I put that project on hold to focus on another project. So basically I need to know whether once the flange screws are removed, if the flange needs to be twisted/turned and/or rocked to break free or another method?
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Background, I installed a compost toilet shortly after purchase of our Solitude 310GK and when I did I left most of the toilet plumbing in a position to return to in case of selling. To set the compost toilet in place I cut wood the size and shape of the toilet and cut an opening in the center for the toilet flange and the pipe plug I secured in the pipe. I am now considering removing that wood spacer and the flange to set the toilet directly on the floor. Today I removed the screws for the flange and found it seemed to be secured to the pipe as it did not appear to separate from the pipe. Not wanting to cause any un-attended damage, I put that project on hold to focus on another project. So basically I need to know whether once the flange screws are removed, if the flange needs to be twisted/turned and/or rocked to break free or another method?
    Bruce - as a number of us have reported over the years, the flanges have been glued to the sewer pipe going to the black tank for all the GDRV units where I and others have worked on the plumbing. You can confirm this by removing your basement wall and taking a look at the 4" pipe going into the flange. If you can't crawl up close enough, taking some pictures and/or a video will most likely easily show the glued together pipes with some glue running down the pipe during assembly.

Cutting the pipe and using a 4" rubber sewer pipe connector and clamps along with a new piece of pipe and flange at some point will have to be done to reinstall the original toilet if you decide to remove the current flange. This has been done by folks here on the forum and I suspect many others working with home plumbing I am sure. I think even using a threaded flange with threaded pipe/pipe dope or tape would be an option as well trusting it can be tightened appropriately to position the flange correctly to match up to the toilet bolts.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan, really appreciate it. My worst fears confirmed, though really not a big deal just a decision to make.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are looking into installing a composting toilet too, we have the same trailer (ours is a 2020).... just curious what brand toilet you went with and how you installed the vent piping? I was thinking it could T into the roof vent under the bathroom floor, but got a little worried with all the venting engineering going on with these trailers. Sounds like the original toilet flange is posing a challenge too? Anyway, it’s been a challenge reading what it takes to install a compost toilet and my dealers techs didn’t have any experience in the install of these either. Thanks a bunch....