Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire pressure on tow vehicle

Hi I have a 2021 337rls & a 2018 f350 4x4 short bed xlt with 6.7 my question is should I be adjusting front tire pressure up from the recommended 60 psi? I am running 80 in back and 60 in front as per recommendation . I have made two trips so far no problems. Thank you. Mike
    2021 Reflection 337rls Ford f350 4x4 6.7 Powerstroke 6.75 ft bed Pullrite Superlite 20k

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave it at the recommend pressures for front and back. But, that's just me, I've been towing trailers off and on for 30 years and was taught to "trust" the tire vehicle manufacturer's recommended tire pressures for towing. Actually, that's just in the last 15-20 years, but before that, inflatable to the tire pressure on the side wall of the tire.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    Hi I have a 2021 337rls & a 2018 f350 4x4 short bed xlt with 6.7 my question is should I be adjusting front tire pressure up from the recommended 60 psi? I am running 80 in back and 60 in front as per recommendation . I have made two trips so far no problems. Thank you. Mike
    The sticker on the truck that specifies the tire pressure rating, for both the front and rear tires of the truck is what the tires should be inflated to, in order to be able to use the truck to it's rated capacities. In other words, let's say your truck has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs and you payload is 2300 lbs. Inflating the tires to the listed pressure would provide you the necessary "load capacity" for those numbers.

Keep in mind however, those numbers may not provide adequate load capacity if you are overloaded. Another thing to consider is the age/condition of the tires. Older tires may or may not provide the full load capacity that is listed on the sidewall of the tire when it is inflated to the max. air pressure number that is also listed on the side of the tire.

And if goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.....those number on the sticker pertain to the OEM tires that were on the truck the day it was made. Any changes made after that may or may not be accurate. In other words, if you replace the tires with the exact same size/load range/ply/and load capacity.....the chart will work. If you go would happen to go with a "lesser" tire or one with more load capacity, the chart's inflation numbers would no long be completely accurate. Obviously, you never want to go with a lesser rated tire, but many times folks will go with a higher load capacity rated tire....and that is when the sticker is no longer accurate.

All of this does NOT change the load capacity ratings on the truck though. If your truck is rated to a GVWR of 10,000 lbs and you put heavier rated tires on the truck, your truck is still rated to 10,000 lb GVWR. Same with the payload number, the FAWR, RAWR, GCVWR, etc, etc.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-29-2020 at 05:08 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"