User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I-10 east to Florida, bad roads?

Ok so I could use a "smokey report" so to speak ( those younger than 40 won't know that term) lol. We're planning a trip to Disney World in the spring and I'm trying to get input on road conditions, is I-10 really as rough and bad as I've heard? Has anyone on here been that way recently? I really don't want to go way out of the way and go up to I-20 and across. I haven't been back to Florida since 2016 now that my folks have passed but used to drive it a couple times a year. I usually went 10 to I-12 to bypass New Orleans then back on I-10 to 75 south. Any input on areas to avoid with my truck and trailer? Thanks for any input, much appreciated.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I-10 in east Texas and Louisiana is pretty rough but I would not change my route to avoid it. We were through there last summer traveling between Galveston and New Orleans. Good luck.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    I-10 in east Texas and Louisiana is pretty rough but I would not change my route to avoid it. We were through there last summer traveling between Galveston and New Orleans. Good luck.
    Thanks RVRunners that's what I've been hearing, once you get out of Louisiana it's much nicer road. It's really the only way for me to go from S Texas to Orlando.
    P.S. I see you're in southern Indiana, I was born in Bloomington but being an Army brat we never lived there much at all.
    Last edited by Txfivver; 10-29-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know what PIO or Pilot Induced Oscillation is in an aircraft, that's what it feels like in stretches. Just slow down a bit and it'll be OK. Trying to get across LA on the back roads is even worse (been there, done that during flooding).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you know what PIO or Pilot Induced Oscillation is in an aircraft, that's what it feels like in stretches.
    Rob
    Haha actually I do. Had a comedian brother in law years ago who liked to "induce" that when I was a passenger in his Cessna 172
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just drove the entire length of i10 west to east. East texas, post san Antonio until you are through to just west of lafayette louisiana is pretty bad right now. I wouldn't go out of my way to adjust the route, there aren't that many options and it's bad not that bad.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others have said..Louisiana is a pain. My truck's left front tire monitor went offline in Louisiana and cleared up once I entered Mississippi. Same thing happened coming back from FL. I entered Louisiana and the same tire monitor went offline. As soon as I got back into Texas it came back online. The cause was the consistent bounce from the Louisiana hwy.

And I wasn't towing .

We had reservation at Fort Wilderness for June but Disney closed due to the pandemic. Hopefully next year.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Jim, guess I'll just grin and bear it and maybe eat a light breakfast that morning lol! We are really looking forward to taking my grandson to Disney, he'll be 5 in March and that's a great age to take kids. Hopefully you'll be able to go next year as well, everything there is open again including Ft Wilderness.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the last 5 years they have been working on some of the rougher parts of I-10 so it's not as bad as it used to be. You are still going to encounter some rough road, particularly around the construction areas. We are going to run I-10 Houston to I-59 Birmingham next week I will try to remember to post a road report.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Ok so I could use a "smokey report" so to speak ( those younger than 40 won't know that term) lol. We're planning a trip to Disney World in the spring and I'm trying to get input on road conditions, is I-10 really as rough and bad as I've heard? Has anyone on here been that way recently? I really don't want to go way out of the way and go up to I-20 and across. I haven't been back to Florida since 2016 now that my folks have passed but used to drive it a couple times a year. I usually went 10 to I-12 to bypass New Orleans then back on I-10 to 75 south. Any input on areas to avoid with my truck and trailer? Thanks for any input, much appreciated.
    YES I-10 is every bit as bad as you have heard, and then even worse, mostly between Louisiana to Florida. We came from Florida to Texas on I-10 around the loop on I-15 back to I-10 just a few monthsago. There are pot holes that will swallow a small car. When we got to our stop for the night after driving that stretch the trailer, a 2020 Grand Design solitude, had several pieces of molding big and small fall off, several cabinets opened and dumped the refrigerator lock broken and the door open and dumped and the recliners rip the screws, only four total on both recliners, ripped out and sliding around. I tow at the speed limit, I think it's 70mph there, maybe slowing to 50 might help, but then you're going to get alot of people upset at you when they swerve past you 30-40mph faster then you. When we return to Florida We will probably plan on a few days longer to get home just to avoid that section.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast