User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TCL TV Ticking - no audio

Has anyone noticed sometimes their TCL TV the audio stops working and you can hear a ticking noise coming from it?

Only way to fix it is to unplug and plug back in
    2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 GMC Yukon Denali W/Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update ...it isn't a power down and back up that fixes it. If you pull it from the wall, or if it separates off the mount a little bit, it stops ticking and the sound starts working. I think there is a short in the TV's board and when it flexes it starts working. Or the internal speaker.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    Update ...it isn't a power down and back up that fixes it. If you pull it from the wall, or if it separates off the mount a little bit, it stops ticking and the sound starts working. I think there is a short in the TV's board and when it flexes it starts working. Or the internal speaker.
    There's a chance that Grand Design will send you a check for a credit in lieu of a warranty-replacement TV. You could apply the credit against the purchase of a better one.

People who have replaced the OEM TCL TV - most commonly with Samsung it seems - report striking improvements in picture and sound. Also, most modern TVs have more "smarts" and connectivity options than the bottom-end TCL models that GD often installs.

So, since you'll likely be calling GD anyway for a warranty claim consider asking them if they'd make a deal. I've seen reports that they've done that sort of thing on other parts.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Roku built in, but we can get our own small device.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    There's a chance that Grand Design will send you a check for a credit in lieu of a warranty-replacement TV. You could apply the credit against the purchase of a better one.

People who have replaced the OEM TCL TV - most commonly with Samsung it seems - report striking improvements in picture and sound. Also, most modern TVs have more "smarts" and connectivity options than the bottom-end TCL models that GD often installs.

So, since you'll likely be calling GD anyway for a warranty claim consider asking them if they'd make a deal. I've seen reports that they've done that sort of thing on other parts.

Good luck.
    It is too bad the TCL TV doesn't support bluetooth audio out. Then you could use the Jensen for overhead speakers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
    It is too bad the TCL TV doesn't support bluetooth audio out. Then you could use the Jensen for overhead speakers.
    Well that's almost an issue for another thread, and you can find threads about it here.

Try using those ceiling speakers while playing a DVD in the Jensen and you may agree with a lot of us who think it's bloody awful sound. The poor-quality Jensen, the poor-quality speakers, and the sound coming down from the ceiling instead of from the area of the TV all contribute to a pretty awful sound experience. YMMV.

A lot of folks including me put in a sound bar to very dramatically improve sound. I think I paid about $200 for a VISIO sound bar from Costco that makes a huge improvement in sound when we're watching Blu-rays and DVDs. (It also has Bluetooth in it so we can stream from our mobile devices.) HOWEVER - back to the discussion of replacing your defective TV - the OEM TCL TV doesn't easily support running its own over-the-air-TV sound through the sound bar. TVs with more smarts do it easily.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-01-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch