User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent trouble report on GMC Sierra 3500

GMC Sierra 3500. Intermittently reports “Service Trailer brake system.” This started after I accidentally ran the battery dead and recharged. GMC dealer checked the brake system out and found no issues. But the truck was not reporting the error at the time.

Today, the message came up again. Went immediately to the storage lot, kept the motor running so the message didn’t disappear, hooked up and tested the trailer brakes. No brakes and no read out on the dash showing braking output. Restarted the engine. No message and the brakes work. Seems like something electrical is causing the problem. Has anyone had this issue? If so, please tell me what to tell the GMC people to help them find the problem.

So far, the message has only appeared upon start up. I know that if I restart, everything should be fine (subject to verification). But I also know that when I see that message, I have no trailer brakes. I’d hate to see that message pop up while barreling down the interstate at 60 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    GMC Sierra 3500. Intermittently reports “Service Trailer brake system.” This started after I accidentally ran the battery dead and recharged. GMC dealer checked the brake system out and found no issues. But the truck was not reporting the error at the time.

Today, the message came up again. Went immediately to the storage lot, kept the motor running so the message didn’t disappear, hooked up and tested the trailer brakes. No brakes and no read out on the dash showing braking output. Restarted the engine. No message and the brakes work. Seems like something electrical is causing the problem. Has anyone had this issue? If so, please tell me what to tell the GMC people to help them find the problem.

So far, the message has only appeared upon start up. I know that if I restart, everything should be fine (subject to verification). But I also know that when I see that message, I have no trailer brakes. I’d hate to see that message pop up while barreling down the interstate at 60 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I experienced an issue with my 2018 GMC 2500hd. When I started the truck I had several messages on the display. These included a warning for the trailer controller, power steering, stabilitrac, etc. Took the truck to the dealer and they said it was probably a battery issue. Apparently if the voltage goes too low when starting the truck the computer modules loose communications. They tested the batteries and found one had a bad cell. Replaced under warranty and all is good.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD