User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No negotiation when trying to achieve a price for a Grand Design Transcend

Has anyone else had any trouble negotiating a price for a new Transcend? The dealer was not willing to come down on the MSRP. The only thing he was willing to do is add $750 to the NADA trade in price for the trailer we currently own. We are aware of the large demand for trailers during these times. Just wondering if our experience is the new norm or if the dealer was being too stubborn.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayMarie View Post
    Has anyone else had any trouble negotiating a price for a new Transcend? The dealer was not willing to come down on the MSRP. The only thing he was willing to do is add $750 to the NADA trade in price for the trailer we currently own. We are aware of the large demand for trailers during these times. Just wondering if our experience is the new norm or if the dealer was being too stubborn.
    Hearing it a lot across brands, and frequently out west. Shortage of materials from overseas is keeping units out of the dealer's lots... There are acres of units here in Indiana waiting for skirts, air conditioners, windows, powered vents, appliances, furniture... Talking with industry folks, they don't see supply chain issues sorting out in the immediate future.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayMarie View Post
    ... The dealer was not willing to come down on the MSRP.
    MSRP on an RV????? That's funny. The typical discount is 25-30% off MSRP for a current year model. I understand there are shortages of RV's and many dealers aren't discounting as much as pre-pandemic but...

I would only pay MSRP if...
    1- I was desperate and absolutely had to have an RV
    2- There literally wasn't one other unit anywhere in North America that was under MSRP
    3- Somebody was holding a g*n to my head
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the internet and email to get bids from every dealer within a 200 or 300 mile radius. Even if you get "good" bid from a "bad" dealer, you can use that as leverage to get a matching (or better) bid from your preferred dealer. If you're only negotiating with one dealer, they have the advantage and no incentive to give you a better offer.
    Last edited by Skyler; 10-31-2020 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to more dealers, you should be able to find one who will negotiate.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    Reese Goose Box 20k
    2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, LBZ Duramax
    B&W Turnover Ball with 4" offset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we placed our order in August for our new Momentum, we sat down with the sales guy and on the order/spec sheet it listed the MSRP and in the upper corner of the sheet the actual "base" price. which was about $18-20k cheaper than the MSRP (same standard options, no add ons or upgrades). When we negotiated, we started at the base price and worked up with options we wanted.
    We got it for about 25% off MSRP. The sales guy even joked about paying full MSRP. I agree with Brian with the only reasons why I would pay full MSRP.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be 66 years old in a couple of weeks, and have spent a lifetime of purchasing cars, trucks, motorcycles (lots of motorcycles), enclosed trailers and now, two different campers over the last 4 years. I'm proud to report that I've NEVER paid MSRP for any of the vehicles that I've purchased. It can be done, but it does take some work, shopping around, negotiating skills, and the willpower to "win" over their sales staff. And to that end, I've negotiated in person, on the phone, and more recently, internet pricing. I've walked out of several dealerships that didn't want to actually sell me a vehicle unless they could get exactly what they wanted initially...pricewise. I've also had call backs within hours (one time, within minutes) of me leaving their place of business. One incident was especially sweet for me. I won't go into details (too long of a story), but I left the dealership after the negotiations for price difference not only failed, but they changed their price difference to a HIGHER number. After leaving, I drove to another dealership, sat down with a salesman and inked a deal for an order of the vehicle. When I got home, the first dealer had called and offered me the original deal back. The funny part....that deal was still almost $2000 higher than the one that I just inked. This happened in 1986, and $2000 difference was a considerable sum back then.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don’t need it immediately, wait because therE will be a large amount of lightly used units to hit the market next year. So many people went out and bought blindly without thought this year.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S stands for “suggested”. It’s an imaginary number, and if a dealer won’t move off of it, find another dealer.

Sitting in a tractor salesman’s office I showed him an email on my phone with an offer from another dealer for almost $10,000 less than what he said was his best price. He told me he didn’t think it was a genuine offer. I told him that’s the same thing as calling me a liar. I stood up, fully intending to go to the other dealer and buy a tractor. He followed trying to get me to stay, and I told him I wouldn’t do business with somebody who called me a liar. Owner heard it and intervened.

I got the tractor for the same price as the other dealer after ensuring the salesman got no commission, plus I got them to give me $500 off for calling me a liar.

It’s your money. Be a bully.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The S stands for “suggested”. It’s an imaginary number, and if a dealer won’t move off of it, find another dealer.

Sitting in a tractor salesman’s office I showed him an email on my phone with an offer from another dealer for almost $10,000 less than what he said was his best price. He told me he didn’t think it was a genuine offer. I told him that’s the same thing as calling me a liar. I stood up, fully intending to go to the other dealer and buy a tractor. He followed trying to get me to stay, and I told him I wouldn’t do business with somebody who called me a liar. Owner heard it and intervened.

I got the tractor for the same price as the other dealer after ensuring the salesman got no commission, plus I got them to give me $500 off for calling me a liar.

It’s your money. Be a bully.
    I love it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)