Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slideout adjustment

I have a 2016 Reflection 303rls that has some torn slide seals. I found the slide out either has always been like this or it has moved to the rear causing my vertical seals to tear. Talking with Grand Design owner service I was told that slides will need adjustment over time. I am wondering if others have had the same problem. We do not travel like we did before and really only take three trips a year. One to Myrtle beach for two weeks from Maryland approx. 1100 miles round trip, another trip 3 days approx. 150 miles round trip, and another to PA aprox. 300 miles round trip and we have had one other trip to Ocean City round trip 300miles but only once, not every year. This is all we have used the trailer. I do not feel this is a lot of traveling to need a slide adjusted. The trailer has not been used at all this year. so the actual years on the road are 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019 and each year was just 1550 miles and one year we did have another trip of 300miles. This really isn't much travel. actually 2015 we did not go to Myrtle beach .
    THE BIG QUESTION IS, are other owners having slides adjusted. If so are your seals being damaged because the slide movement out of adjustment causing the seal to tear.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's normal for slideouts to need adjustment over time. Doesn't matter what brand of camper, and through-frame slides are usually in the most need given the design. Adjustment is not difficult, but if you're leery to do it yourself I'd have a mobile tech do it versus waiting on a dealer. Point of comparison, our old Heritage Glen needed the heavy kitchen slide adjusted every season.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob Thanks for the reply . I am already scheduled for other maintenance issues at a Jayco dealer that says they will work on any brand so I guess I will wait and have it all done at once. My local Grand Design dealer ( Beckly Rv , MD ) refuses to work on my Grand Design trailer because we didn't buy there. Long story but briefly the cost quoted went up $5000 from the original quote so we went to another Grand Design dealer. My mistake is we have owned trailers for years since the 70's and never had an issue so thought it didn't matter where we purchased our trailer. Thinking Grand Design was so great we would be ok to purchase 150 miles from home. We have learned a lesson. The other trailers were Jayco trailers and have traveled all over the us ,Nova Scotia and Alaska without any issues. This is some of the reason why we thought it was OK to buy from any dealer. Thanks so much for the information !
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the manufacturer-dealer model in the RV industry is the ugliest part of RV ownership.... It is why so many of us fix so much ourselves. Mobile guys can be the fantastic compromise. It's just finding one. For me personally, I'll tackle almost anything myself, but there are some things that don't make sense to... Our dealer made things worse with a repair so I'm out at the Factory Service Center getting things taken care of...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you are saying. The dealer we did end up buying from switched trailers we were supposed to get. Schaffer in pa We ordered a trailer and when it came in we rode up to look it over. two identifying things we noticed , The outside speakers were on the awning as attached to the trailer, and inside this unit had a matching refrigerator door that matched the interior instead of a black door. I think that trailer had a furion air, not sure but there was something made by furion, Any how we settled and when we arrived to get the trailer the one they had supposed to be new did not have out side speakers, that didn't matter and the fridge had a black panel, That was no great thing and being so far from home we just went with the unit. Don't trust very many dealers and of course Grand Design doesn't care as long as they are selling the products. I did have two great dealers when we purchased our Jayco trailers. Both were great But I never had any problems with either unit and kept each trailer for about 12 years traveled all over the stares and Nova Scotia and Alaska with out any problems at all. We had several trips to the south west and Florida and north east . WE traveled a lot. I don't feel the Reflection would make the trip to Alaska without issues. We are getting up in age now 80 years old in Nov so don't travel like we used to. Thought we would buy a nice trailer to use during the retirement. This is the most we have ever spent on a trailer and has been the most problems. So much for our sob story.. Have a nice day !! Thanks for talking .. Duke, where are you getting things fixed ? are you in Indiana ? maybe we should think of that.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    I know what you are saying. The dealer we did end up buying from switched trailers we were supposed to get. Schaffer in pa We ordered a trailer and when it came in we rode up to look it over. two identifying things we noticed , The outside speakers were on the awning as attached to the trailer, and inside this unit had a matching refrigerator door that matched the interior instead of a black door. I think that trailer had a furion air, not sure but there was something made by furion, Any how we settled and when we arrived to get the trailer the one they had supposed to be new did not have out side speakers, that didn't matter and the fridge had a black panel, That was no great thing and being so far from home we just went with the unit. Don't trust very many dealers and of course Grand Design doesn't care as long as they are selling the products. I did have two great dealers when we purchased our Jayco trailers. Both were great But I never had any problems with either unit and kept each trailer for about 12 years traveled all over the stares and Nova Scotia and Alaska with out any problems at all. We had several trips to the south west and Florida and north east . WE traveled a lot. I don't feel the Reflection would make the trip to Alaska without issues. We are getting up in age now 80 years old in Nov so don't travel like we used to. Thought we would buy a nice trailer to use during the retirement. This is the most we have ever spent on a trailer and has been the most problems. So much for our sob story.. Have a nice day !! Thanks for talking .. Duke, where are you getting things fixed ? are you in Indiana ? maybe we should think of that.
    I lag behind you in years, but probably surpass in towed miles! Lol. I wouldn't say GD doesn't care per se, it's the sales model, and, universally, it's gotten worse. I have seen it degrade over time and manufacturers. We've had several Forest Rivers, Fleetwood, a Jayco too.

Yes, I am out in Indiana. Grand Design has a Factory Service Center, complete with mini campground where you can stay in your camper while service is done (provided it's not a major repair). If you break it up in two days, nice easy tow out from MD.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yes, it's normal for slideouts to need adjustment over time. Doesn't matter what brand of camper, and through-frame slides are usually in the most need given the design. Adjustment is not difficult, but if you're leery to do it yourself I'd have a mobile tech do it versus waiting on a dealer. Point of comparison, our old Heritage Glen needed the heavy kitchen slide adjusted every season.
    Is adjusting a routine thing? Or is it just done when things seem out of whack?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duke13 View Post
    My local Grand Design dealer ( Beckly Rv , MD ) refuses to work on my Grand Design trailer because we didn't buy there.
    A dealer like that does not deserve your patronage. GD head office will not approve either. My local GD dealer will work on any GD. They are not concerned where you bought it. If you bought it from them you will likely be taken care of first though.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Is adjusting a routine thing? Or is it just done when things seem out of whack?
    Inspection is the routine. So every time you clean and condition your slide seals, check that the gaps between the slide box and trailer opening are equal front and back. Bad seal dragging is also a giveaway that adjustment is needed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott. where is your dealer? Probably too far for me .. I do lub my seals just didn't think to check if the seal slide distance has changed. I will be checking that from now on. My the front side is, 1 and 10/16 of an inch from the edge of the slide to the bulb seal. The rear measuring the same, the gap from the back vertical edge of the slide to the bulb seal is 11/16 to the seal. the metal on the side of the slide almost touches the frame when the slide moves in or out. That's why my slide wiper seal has torn away. Don't get me wrong. We really like the layout, very comfortable but sure have had a bunch of problems.{ will add them if I can find my list. brakes seemed to not work very good thought it might be because of the size trailer?? I didn't know the problem was grease on the brakes.
    had disc brakes installed. Just out of warranty by a month notified GD with no luck.
    Landing gear switch failed on vacation replaced switch at home
    A/C lost coolant as checked by tech while at GD rally
    Rear jack switch failed, replaced
    Cant leak valve leaked water into underbelly flooded replaced cant leak system
    Skylight cracked temporary fix for now
    Rear couch had hardware missing. I replaced bolts and nuts to
    Wiper seal falling on dinette slide. Seals were good and lubed this year with proper seal lub purchased at Camping world
    Spare tire winch broke part bought but not yet installed.
    We received steel support for holding tanks,to keep tanks from falling out of trailer, we never travel with anything in tanks, (going to be installed Dec.)
    Waiting install of recall for loose 110volt wiring in underbelly
    Roof has bubble about 13inched at rear driver side. Noticed as I was spot resealing roof guess I will have rood resealed
    fender skirts cracked on both sides. need to be replaced
    Support for gas line to refrigerator support strap broke,i fixed that plastic strap just screwed in with two screws
    slide has to be centered, This is why my wiper seal has torn. slide moved and the wiper seal does not have room and is torn away from trailer.

Just seems to me to be way too many problems for only three trips a year. Longest trip is to Myrtle beach 550 miles one way. another trip 150 miles one way and the other 75miles one way.. thanks for reading.. Duke
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast