User Tag List

Thread: Dump Valves

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dump Valves

I just picked up my used 2250RK from another state. I discovered two dump valve pull handles located 8" or 9" inside the skirting. Has any of you added extensions to these handles to get them in a more convenient position? I'm old and don't necessarily want to get down on my knees to dump the tanks. Also, id the black water and bathroom grey water tanks combined? I only see one valve handle in that area.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be 3 handles (2 grey 1 black). A grey and black forward of the axels about 2 feet apart and a grey for the kitchen at the rear.
    I haven't extended them but that's a good idea.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few posts (which I can't find, now,) where folks have installed access doors in the aluminum skirting where the dump handles are. You just open the door and reach in to the handle without having to bend down and look for it.

UPDATE: I found the post on the Facebook Grand Design RV Imagine Owners page. If you are a member, search for Dump Valve Access Doors.

If you are not a member, here is the narrative: "I made a little modification to our trailer this morning. The dump valves are so far under that my wife or I would have to get down on our hands and knees at the dump station to open and close the Black water and the front Gray water valves. Clearly that wasn’t acceptable. So, I picked these items up and used my little Dremel with a circle cutter to cut the holes for them. Took maybe 45 minutes start to finish and makes it sooo easy to get to the valves. If anybody is interested in doing it themselves, I would be happy to add more details. Edit with more details: The two hatches come with those red bags but they slip off easily just leaving you with a very nice and appears pretty solid round hatch that has a twist latch. The first thing I did was crawl underneath and using a straight edge, "projected" where the handle was in relation to the metal skirting. DO NOT just assume the factory installed labels are correct. Both of our labels was off by a bit. I used a hammer and something sharp to dimple the skirting where the handles were inline with. Then, using some scrap cardboard from Xmas, I made a temple the size of the overall diameter of the hatch. Locating the "dimple" I taped the cardboard template to the side of the trailer with the dimple somewhat in the middle of the opening in the cardboard template. NOTE, this is the outside diameter of the hatch door. DO not cut it that big!!!!! But don't sweat it because the hatches come with a foam rubber gasket that has the exact diameter of the inside diameter. THAT'S the size you want to cut (approximately 6.75"). With that rubber gasket inside the cardboard template, use a pencil or marker to draw a line of what you want to cut. It should be between 6.75" and 7" diameter. Once you have the hole marked where you want, pull off the cardboard and put some cheap masking tape around the hole you want to cut. The tape is just to keep from accidently scratching the black paint on the skirting. I then just used the little circle jig that came with my Dremel and adjusted the centering pin so that the size would be correct. Using a small drill, drill a hole for the centering/pivot hole in the center of the circle you drew using your templates and rubber gasket. Go ahead and drill a "starter" hole near the cut line to give your dremel bit somewhere to get started. NOTE: since the skirting is aluminum, you want something with big teeth versus something like a carbide cutter. I used a multipurpose bit that's for wood and sheetrock. Spray it with something like WD40 often so the aluminum doesnt clog the teeth on the bit. Once cut out I lightly deburred the hole and set the rubber gasket and hatch door in place. Using a small drill bit (I used a 5/64"), predrill all the screw holes and use the included stainless screws to mount them. MOST important note. If you took the time to read all of this, it probably took just as long as it will to actually do it! Super easy. Maybe a 1 or at the absolute most 2 out of 5 on difficulty. I was reluctant to add too much detail as it makes it sound worse than it was. It honestly took about 45 minutes to install both.

https://smile.amazon.com/Anndason-Black-Storage-Fishing-Boating/dp/B07SLYF2K4/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=6%22+deck+plate+hatch &qid=1604168477&sr=8-8

Last edited by nadkaw1957; 10-31-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.