User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plumbing twilight zone

I hope y'all can help me figure this out. This is on a 2017 Solitude 384GK-R.

First of all my gray tanks are not numbered. One has a black handle on the dump valve which I've dubbed gray #1 , and the other has a gray handle I'll call #2 .

Nothing appears to go into gray tank #1 . I run all sinks, shower, and laundry for a while, then open #1 , and nothing comes out. Open #2 , then you get all the gray water out. It's not a clog because I've never gotten a backup in any drain. Just to make sure, I've emptied both tanks, closed them, and then run ONLY either bathroom sink /shower OR kitchen sink, and then open the drain valves one at a time. Never anything from #1 , but always the expected amount of gray water comes out of #2 .

Could it be they're connected and #1 only starts filling after #2 is full?

Now here's the real fun part. I found the underbelly skin flooded with water. I unbolted the skin, drained and dried, then ran all the water fixtures in the RV, and everything remaims bone dry. Not a drop coming down anywhere. OMG too wierd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I've figured out that the bathroom fixtures do drain to tank 1, but the tank valve will not close, so the tank is being constantly drained as long as the final outlet valve is open.

When I observe the valve as someone opens and closes it from the plumbing control panel, I can see the mechanism move with no apparent problem. However, the gray water still flows out of the tank even when the handle is pushed in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add that the pull cable at the plumbing panel is not seized or stuck. It can travel fully, and it actuates the gate valve apparently fully (though it's hard to know for sure), but the gate valve still lets the gray water through.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From your floor plan, one gray is for the bath, the second gray should be for the kitchen sink.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notlostatall View Post
    Now I've figured out that the bathroom fixtures do drain to tank 1, but the tank valve will not close, so the tank is being constantly drained as long as the final outlet valve is open.

When I observe the valve as someone opens and closes it from the plumbing control panel, I can see the mechanism move with no apparent problem. However, the gray water still flows out of the tank even when the handle is pushed in.
    Sounds like you've identified the problem.

People have discovered bits of plastic and other debris from construction in the valve, preventing it from closing completely. If not that then you have the unpleasant task of replacing the valve.

As a stopgap, if you don't already have one you can put a gate valve on the outlet where you normally connect your sewer hose. That would keep the gray water in the system in a controllable way instead of behind the cap you have to remove to dump. Unfortunately the Valterra twist-on gate valves have become really hard to find in recent months, but they do appear in stock at Amazon from time to time.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I did with mine. Bought a gate valve. Cut off the main drain outlet as close as I could to the cap. Then glued on the new gate valve. My cable pull handles never worked even on a brand new reflection. It was always so embarrassing opening the cap and having grey water or stink water come out when hooking up at a campground. Make sure to get the one that glue's on with pvc cement and not the one that fits on to your existing pipe via bayonet. Because you will lose it by the time you get to where your going and leave a trail of waste water behind you. The get loose and fall off all the time. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk