User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xrated @geotex1 , interesting thoughts from both of you that my system shouldn't work as it does, although it lines up with my owners manual(2017). I wouldn't be surprised if something was installed incorrectly, wouldn't be the first time. I'll see about dropping the rear coroplast to take a peak at the level sensor back there when I get some free time (hopefully before winter sets in). Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a side note that may be of interest to @BCAAFD, depending on what hitch he is buying.

The Hitch Height feature doesn't work well with our Superglide auto-slider hitch.

When unhooking from this hitch our trailer needs to be lifted to the point that it's resting fairly lightly on the king plate. When hooking up, the trailer nose needs to be several inches lower than it was when unhooking, so that the trailer's pinbox and capture plate ride up onto the hitch's kingplate as I back into it. Attempting to hook up with the trailer at its unhooking level can often result in the hitch not locking properly.

However everything else works as described in other posts. Easy peasy. I sometimes watch other people working for ten minutes or more setting up at a new site, adding and removing blocks under tires and jacks and using a drill to adjust screw jacks to some semblance of level. We push a button and watch for 30-40 seconds... it's pretty nice.

Welcome to the forum and the world of fifth wheels.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The foremost expert in the system actually now works for Grand Design! Incidentally, he is the one who finally diagnosed the issue with my system in exactly 6 minutes after 1 full year of it never working properly, 3 dealer attempts to fix, 4.5 hours of me diagnosing it with Lippert, and me becoming an an "amateur expert" in the system over this time plus 4 new controllers, 2 brains, 2 jacks, and all new harnesses... He doesn't work for them in a tech capacity either, but one of the 4 guys good enough to stay behind on a Friday night at the Factory Service Center when the system failed again after the GD techs were certain it was OK after having it in for a week! I digress, and long story short @FT4NOW, is that your system should not do what it has when nose down, but I will bet even if you re-zero it that it will still do this. Why you might ask? Because there is a sensor rearward of the axles and if it is mounted incorrectly it can let this happen. Guess how I know? LOL.
    Thank you geotex for posting that ^^^^^. After I made the statement I made yesterday, I started looking for the documentation that would spell it out clearly.....and I couldn't find it. I KNOW that I read it somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Mine has always worked the way I described it in my previous post. The very first time I unhooked the trailer.....the day that I bought it new and drove to a campground with it, it faulted when I pushed the auto level. I got it reset and probably by shear luck, raised the nose up some and thought.."I'll try it again"! This time it worked flawlessly, yet the fact that it didn't with the nose low, kept bugging me. Then finally, one day while reading through forums I discovered the info about it not working if you try to auto level and the nose is below level. In thinking back on that, I thought that it was info that was in the Lippert Ground Control 3.0 manual.....but again, I couldn't find it yesterday evening when looking. So thanks again for posting that info....I knew I wasn't dreaming it up.....just couldn't find the documentation.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    @xrated @geotex1 , interesting thoughts from both of you that my system shouldn't work as it does, although it lines up with my owners manual(2017). I wouldn't be surprised if something was installed incorrectly, wouldn't be the first time. I'll see about dropping the rear coroplast to take a peak at the level sensor back there when I get some free time (hopefully before winter sets in). Thanks for the input.

If and when you do drop the coroplast to check on the sensor, pleas post up and let us know what, if anything you find. Also, maybe let us know where that sensor is located in the rear...at least on your 399TH
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If and when you do drop the coroplast to check on the sensor, pleas post up and let us know what, if anything you find. Also, maybe let us know where that sensor is located in the rear...at least on your 399TH
    Ok, weather ended up being perfect today. Mine is a 2017, and they didnt cover 80% of the garage with coroplast. I dropped the rear coroplast which ends about 2 ft into the garage. I've been under there before to install my dryer vent and didnt recall a level sensor, but I looked again today; no level sensor.

I did find it though! Its located directly on top of my generator gas tank, bolted on a plate that is welded to a cross member. Looks like it would be "fun" to replace it. It definitely looks mounted correctly as far as I can tell, unless its 180° off, but I dont suspect that's the case.

The sensor is about 3 ft behind my rear axle to give some perspective.

The photos show the front sensor which is on the ceiling of the generator compartment and the other shows the plate where the rear sensor is mounted. I apologize for not providing a better picture of the rear sensor, but with the fuel tanks there I cant get my phone in to get a good shot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201101_133021.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	30525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201101_141735.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	30526

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, weather ended up being perfect today. Mine is a 2017, and they didnt cover 80% of the garage with coroplast. I dropped the rear coroplast which ends about 2 ft into the garage. I've been under there before to install my dryer vent and didnt recall a level sensor, but I looked again today; no level sensor.

I did find it though! Its located directly on top of my generator gas tank, bolted on a plate that is welded to a cross member. Looks like it would be "fun" to replace it. It definitely looks mounted correctly as far as I can tell, unless its 180° off, but I dont suspect that's the case.

The sensor is about 3 ft behind my rear axle to give some perspective.

The photos show the front sensor which is on the ceiling of the generator compartment and the other shows the plate where the rear sensor is mounted. I apologize for not providing a better picture of the rear sensor, but with the fuel tanks there I cant get my phone in to get a good shot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201101_133021.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	30525Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201101_141735.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	30526

Interesting... So then the resulting questions are 1) last time you zero-calibrated and 2) are you actually "nose down" because, of course, within the limits of a forum we're saying nose down or nose up, but what the system really needs to "see" is the hitch end slightly higher than perfectly horizontal. So, depending on your parking spot your nose could appear down but perhaps you're just that little above horizontal. I dunno...invite me over for adult beverages... If I see the expert tomorrow when I stop in to check on my rig's progress, I'll ask him if there's something different in your year/earlier years.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting... So then the resulting questions are 1) last time you zero-calibrated and 2) are you actually "nose down" because, of course, within the limits of a forum we're saying nose down or nose up, but what the system really needs to "see" is the hitch end slightly higher than perfectly horizontal. So, depending on your parking spot your nose could appear down but perhaps you're just that little above horizontal. I dunno...invite me over for adult beverages... If I see the expert tomorrow when I stop in to check on my rig's progress, I'll ask him if there's something different in your year/earlier years.
    Come on over, this will get solved much better over a few beers [emoji16]

I havent reset the calibration, but I periodically check level using a 4 ft level and it is very close, not perfect, but within the lines (maybe that's contributing?). I checked again today just to be sure.

As for nose down, up, sideways, when I park at home, the camper needs to raise a significant amount to be "level" on the front end. If I take that same 4 ft level and place it on the ground under the camper, it shows the RV pad is tilted down towards the street.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on over, this will get solved much better over a few beers [emoji16]

I havent reset the calibration, but I periodically check level using a 4 ft level and it is very close, not perfect, but within the lines (maybe that's contributing?). I checked again today just to be sure.

As for nose down, up, sideways, when I park at home, the camper needs to raise a significant amount to be "level" on the front end. If I take that same 4 ft level and place it on the ground under the camper, it shows the RV pad is tilted down towards the street.

True story, a mostly empty bottle of beer makes for a good level!

I'll ask some questions if I bump into him tomorrow.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True story, a mostly empty bottle of beer makes for a good level!

I'll ask some questions if I bump into him tomorrow.
    So do marbles.....if you are really into being accurate.....or steel ball bearings.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is all great information everyone. During our first outing with our 372WB I noticed that despite auto leveling I ended up with a slope to the front and slightly left. When I got home I reviewed the manual, got two 4 ft levels out (1 front to back level and 1 side to side) and ran my auto level again. Sure enough it looked mostly good. So I did the manual mode and releveled with my levels. My level controller indicated I was out .3 degrees side to side and .2 degrees front to back. All good right?? No. 10 minutes later the rv was tilted low in front drivers side along with a periodic creak which sounded like the frame twisting longitudinally. Looking at the front left leveling ram showed an ever so slow hydraulic leak from one of the installed threaded plugs. Tightening with Allen head socket fixed the leak. Releveled and all is good for today. Which begs the question, is there ever a point at which there is no pressure in the hydraulic system?? I had a hose fail on vacation with my last RV and made our trip and am just thinking preventive measures.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast