User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the closet

For years we have been towing a 310 GK with a 2011 2500 Duramax. I have read a lot of posts about tow vehicles, opinions range from whatever your comfortable with to you should be put in jail if you roll over loaded, in particular with payload. In 2011 I watched all the GM videos with Howie Long and the ~16K tow rating of the 2500’s with a diesel. I do believe they were a bit mis-leading. I do not think Fifth wheel weights should be advertised the way they were, it was a little mis-leading. The 20% rule on pin box weight means your in the noise of a 12-13K fifthwheel. Meaning you could not ever get to that ~16K fifth wheel weight without exceeding payload. So fast forward, fixed the issue by getting a 3500 DRW, I have increased my safety margin by like a metric sh** ton. I now have a vehicle payment but am no longer concerned about weight. Used trucks are bringing a premium and there are huge discounts on 2020’s, if you are in the same boat I was go check the lots. This was the first time the dealership gave me an acceptable first offer. Will be towing this weekend, I am excited to no longer be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundsy View Post
    For years we have been towing a 310 GK with a 2011 2500 Duramax. I have read a lot of posts about tow vehicles, opinions range from whatever your comfortable with to you should be put in jail if you roll over loaded, in particular with payload. In 2011 I watched all the GM videos with Howie Long and the ~16K tow rating of the 2500’s with a diesel. I do believe they were a bit mis-leading. I do not think Fifth wheel weights should be advertised the way they were, it was a little mis-leading. The 20% rule on pin box weight means your in the noise of a 12-13K fifthwheel. Meaning you could not ever get to that ~16K fifth wheel weight without exceeding payload. So fast forward, fixed the issue by getting a 3500 DRW, I have increased my safety margin by like a metric sh** ton. I now have a vehicle payment but am no longer concerned about weight. Used trucks are bringing a premium and there are huge discounts on 2020’s, if you are in the same boat I was go check the lots. This was the first time the dealership gave me an acceptable first offer. Will be towing this weekend, I am excited to no longer be concerned. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No question, "enough truck" and even "more than enough truck" are far, FAR better places to be than "not enough truck". Congrats.

Welcome to the forum.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart move on your part.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased a 350 DRW when we got the Solitude to replace my SRW. Plenty of truck is always a good place to be. Congrats.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW