User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off the wall question

GD has a power cord reel but you have to take off the cord and plug it into the coach. Why did they not have it so you can leave it on the reel and only take off what you need? Any thoughts

KC
    Looking at Solitude 390RK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find this to be the case until you look at rigs over $100K. Hardwired spooling reels are 3x more expensive than a winding reel.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slip ring to allow for a spool with live wiring is both expensive and a high failure item. Be glad you don’t have one.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the hard wired spooling reel built into the left rear on my last RV. Loved it, BUT I kept thinking "what am I gonna do with 30 feet of cable when it breaks down and won't reel in"??? Loved it but don't necessarily miss it. More peace of mind for me when I can just unplug and toss the cable in the storage compartment (or coil it on the electric cord rollup gizzmo in the storage area (done once).
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAAFD View Post
    GD has a power cord reel but you have to take off the cord and plug it into the coach. Why did they not have it so you can leave it on the reel and only take off what you need? Any thoughts

KC
    Looks like you recently joined us, so welcome! Just a week or so ago someone posted a solution here and if you search for “power cord storage” you might find the thread. Basically, the poster dedicated a tote to his power cord. Near opposite corners, he drilled out short grooves in the tote body to allow for the diameter of the cord..(pictures posted). In this manner, he sets out the bin, extends the cord as many feet as needed to reach the pedestal, puts the top back on to keep the majority of the cord clean and dry, ready to store.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Looks like you recently joined us, so welcome! Just a week or so ago someone posted a solution here and if you search for “power cord storage” you might find the thread. Basically, the poster dedicated a tote to his power cord. Near opposite corners, he drilled out short grooves in the tote body to allow for the diameter of the cord..(pictures posted). In this manner, he sets out the bin, extends the cord as many feet as needed to reach the pedestal, puts the top back on to keep the majority of the cord clean and dry, ready to store.
    That's not a bad idea....I must have missed that post. Hmmm, now the wheels are turning.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    That's not a bad idea....I must have missed that post. Hmmm, now the wheels are turning.
    Yes, I thought so too. We currently use the largest LL Bean heavy canvas tote to store the cords (only 30a, so not too bad). But it’s on top of the levelers and blocks you want as soon as you get to your site. So one of my winter chores is to prep a tote for this. There’s no reason it couldn’t travel on the throw rug right inside the entry door-out of the way til needed. Every year, the Bean bag needs a good scrub-not easy to do, and it takes FOREVER to dry. When we’re at home, we use both cords to get electricity, and the plastic tote will be easier to clean.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new 390rk has the power cord reel, and I don't particularly care for it. Used it 3 times, now I just coil the cord in the plastic tote that I had from my old rig and put it in the pass thru. You have to stand at the reel, and guide to cord in evenly so it will all fit. So, it had go go thru my hand, and whatever dirt or moisture was on the cord, was on my hand. Then, there is no free spooling option, so you have to roll it back out slowly, and it all ends up on the ground anyway. I'm using the powercord reel to hold my extra water hose now.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.campingworld.com/dw/imag...sh=1000&sm=fit

Is what I use to store and carry my power cord. $19.99. Been working perfectly for 2 years

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAAFD View Post

KC
    Not what you were asking about but here is my setup with a 50amp cord. Using a Rubbermaid tub. Works well to keep the extra covered and out of the weather.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShorePowerCordStowage.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	30602
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast