Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fridge is icing up - how to fix?

Hello all!!

We have a GD Imagine 2670MK - our fridge cooling fins at the back of the fridge are icing up - what causes that ands how do we fix it?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Hello all!!

We have a GD Imagine 2670MK - our fridge cooling fins at the back of the fridge are icing up - what causes that ands how do we fix it?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Is there a clip with a wire attached to one of the fins? If so, move it a couple of fins one direction or the other (check your fridge book to see which way). Then give it a chance to work before moving it again (couple of hours).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Fans strategically placed on the top shelf will help fight the frost. Or add the fans directly on the fins .Also check your seals by trying to slip out a dollar bill in a variety of spots around the door. If the dollar slips out easily the seal is bad and needs to be changed which should be a warranty item for you seeing as the trailer isn't very old.

OR you'r opening the door to often and need to cut back on beverages
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “OR you'r opening the door to often and need to cut back on beverages “

Switching to bourbon, straight up, will help a lot.

Ed
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All - well, still no fix to the icing issue. I did add a "Little Fan" as WhittleBurner suggested, but still no change. And.... I found the clip with the attached wire, it was on the R/H end fin, so I moved it two fins inward. I'll give it some time, as livinthelife said. Anyone know what the clip is supposed to do??

If this doesn't work, I see no choice but to throw stuff in the outdoor fridge and coolers then de-ice the fridge. I assume by just shutting it off?

I forgot to add - I also did the dollar bill seal check - I guess it failed. I was able to pretty easily pull a bill through the closed door, with hardly any friction.

Steve
    Last edited by Silverado333; 11-04-2020 at 09:20 AM.
    Steve & Pat

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add - I also did the dollar bill seal check - I guess it failed. I was able to pretty easily pull a bill through the closed door, with hardly any friction. Steve
    Inadequate sealing of the door(s) is probably the number one cause of fridge complaints. If the doors aren't sealing the fridge is working overtime and any moisture in the air in the fridge will freeze quickly on the extra-cold cooling fins.

I don't know what fridge you have. If it's a double-door fridge the common problem is that the flap is being prevented from fully closing; look for anything that may be causing that. Frequently, removing the left-hand door and raising it slightly by putting a washer or two on the lower hinge pin does the trick by reducing friction at the bottom of the flap.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Inadequate sealing of the door(s) is probably the number one cause of fridge complaints. If the doors aren't sealing the fridge is working overtime and any moisture in the air in the fridge will freeze quickly on the extra-cold cooling fins.

I don't know what fridge you have. If it's a double-door fridge the common problem is that the flap is being prevented from fully closing; look for anything that may be causing that. Frequently, removing the left-hand door and raising it slightly by putting a washer or two on the lower hinge pin does the trick by reducing friction at the bottom of the flap.

Good luck.
    Hi boyscout - The fridge is a single door fridge, with single door freezer above. It is a Dometic - Model DM2682. I did inspect the door and opposing seal completely around the entire door and found nothing obvious.

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve & Pat

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi boyscout - The fridge is a single door fridge, with single door freezer above. It is a Dometic - Model DM2682. I did inspect the door and opposing seal completely around the entire door and found nothing obvious. Thanks! Steve
    But... in your previous note you reported that your fridge didn't do well on the dollar-bill test. If you can improve the seal around the door, it should improve the icing problem you're seeing. Might not solve it by itself, but a poor seal can contribute to the problem you have.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seal is most likely your problem and the seals need to be replaced.
    Take a blow dryer and work the seals a little bit. It might buy time but if you call dometic they might send you seals under warranty. Dometic has been easy to deal with for us. Our old dog broke a door shelf and I called Dometic to see if we coud buy a replacement and they sent us new, for free every piece of clear plastic there was in the fridge.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks! Thanks for all your input!!

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but we recently completed a nearly 2 1/2 month cross country trip from Washington state to our new home in Central Florida. We are staying in a campground while we do some updating to our house, which is maybe five miles away. We are fortunate that we were able to remove all the items from the fridge and freezer and store them in out fridge in the home. We did exactly that, turned off the fridge and did a complete defrost of the RV fridge and freezer.

That too has now been completed, we restarted the unit and it seems to be working as expected. Its maintining the correct temperatures for the fridge and freezer. We'll monitor and see how it goes. We will be own the RV park for another month or so, then move back into the house and store the RV until we're ready to use her again.

I'll keep you all posted as we proceed. If the frost develops again, I will replace the seal. For now we have removed a few items to help add to circulation, as well as the addition of the small blue fan.

Thanks for all your inputs!!

Steve
    Steve & Pat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast