User Tag List

Setting Up Camp weekend warrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost a Disaster: Goosebox

Came home from a trip today on a ~1 hour trip. This is our third trip with a 31MB and Reese Goosebox (2nd Gen). New to fifth wheeling, but camped with a TT for 2 years.

Rushing this morning, when I hitched up, I never released the pull/lever into the locked position after I lowered onto the ball. Drove down the interstate at 70mph+ and multiple stop/go’s on backroads with the trailer essentially resting but not locked on top of the ball. I didn’t realize it until dropping the trailer after we got home. Gives me chills thinking about it.... Fortunately the trailer must not have done enough bouncing to kick it off the ball.

We have a basic “checklist” but something as simple as double checking the Goosebox is locked down just didn’t happen this morning.

Glad we made it safely, and I won’t do that again!
    2021 Reflection 31 MB
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 High Country SRW w/ Duramax
    Reese Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good practice to get in is immediately after you unhitch, put the cable back to the locked position. You do not have to unlock to hitch up, only when unhitching, by design.

Definitely enough to make you sweat, especially because I don't think GA requires safety chains, but IMO towing anything on any style of ball hitch should have them.
    Last edited by geotex1; 11-01-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Came home from a trip today on a ~1 hour trip. This is our third trip with a 31MB and Reese Goosebox (2nd Gen). New to fifth wheeling, but camped with a TT for 2 years.

Rushing this morning, when I hitched up, I never released the pull/lever into the locked position after I lowered onto the ball. Drove down the interstate at 70mph+ and multiple stop/go’s on backroads with the trailer essentially resting but not locked on top of the ball. I didn’t realize it until dropping the trailer after we got home. Gives me chills thinking about it.... Fortunately the trailer must not have done enough bouncing to kick it off the ball.

We have a basic “checklist” but something as simple as double checking the Goosebox is locked down just didn’t happen this morning.

Glad we made it safely, and I won’t do that again!
    Bet that will be the last time you'll do that. Glad it worked out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you did have your required safety chains latched, that would at least limit the chaos to your own property....
    @geotex1 I did not realize that I could leave the cable free in the lock position and still slide onto the ball. After I read your statement, I do recall reading that. You refreshed me. That is actually a good rule, do NOT pull the cable to instal, that way you KNOW FOR SURE it locks. Only pull the cable to lift off, then releaser the cable immediuately. That will be my new rule of use.

I've hauled bumper pull equipment trailers and a couple times I got to a destination or gas station and did a walk around and realized that I left the tongue lock open! Lucky for me, I have always loaded front heavy, and I always use the safety chains. But if you load trailers more center weighted... things could easily go bad really fast.
    2020.5 Reflection 311BHS Dual AC, 2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Level 2, 3.73 / 392 Hemi 14,404.34 lb towing and 3,004.34 payload, 2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5EB CC/LB, 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2014 Wrangler Willys Edition, 2019 Iron Bull 14K 22' Equipment Trailer, 2019 Quality Trailers 7K 18' Utility Trailer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing with a previous 5th wheel and an Andersen 5th hitch. Drove 70 miles on mostly flat interstate. There are a few over passes that have good size dips but for the most part it's flat. Kind of a shocker when I went to pull the pin.
    I did install chains with the Andersen.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I'm not going to temp fate. With amount of weight and percentage of weight on the pin I think its unlikely to pop off. My Dad did the same with his Andersen except he set his down with the pin engaged. So it was sitting even higher. Not sure on how or even when he did it. The only way he knew was the pin grooved the ball on the hitch.

My system is to return the lever to locked the goosebox when I pull the truck out and roll up the cord into the pin box at arrival. And then its just a double check when I do the walk around prior to leaving. Its also a nice bonus that if someone unlocks it at a stop its probably not going to do anything.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave it in the closed position when hitching up. Seeing that arm rock back and then forward again is how I know I am seated properly on the ball. I also put a padlock through the loop to keep it locked as part of my hitch up procedure.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take mine a step farther and pad lock the pin latch after hooking up. That way no one intending mischief can pull the cable and unlock it in the unlatched position. I have safety chains, I never want to have to depend on them and do a lot of damage.
    Last edited by hmantractors; 03-20-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read the Goosebox instructions, it actually tells you to leave it in the locked position when hitching.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH