User Tag List

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Usage in Cold Weather

We are camped up in Northern Indiana for a couple months. Why, because of family up here. Anyway I've been tracking our propane usage. Our furnace has been working fine and we supplement our heat with the fireplace and another heater fan. While the temps were in the lower 50s and higher 40s we used a 30# cylinder in 5 days. Keeping the RV internal temp approx 70-72*. Temps then dropped and the highs are in the low 40s and at night in the 30s-high 20s. This morning it was 27*. we used another 30# cylinder in 4 days. We filled an empty cylinder here at the campground and it cost $30 for 7.5 gallons, higher cost for the convenience of filling at the campground. Some higher winds making it feel colder but more calm wind days ahead.

So far the propane usage and furnace operation seems fine and pretty good. We make sure we run the furnace often to keep heat under the coach when temps are below freezing otherwise we use electric heat. Running fridge and H2O Heater on electric.
    For other utilities like water we are using a CAMCO heated hose plugged in when temps are below freezing. We dump tanks about every 5 days and I make sure I drain the stinky slinky so it doesn't freeze. I am not sure of the slinky plastic rigidity in cold weather, don't want to have it split open. This week temps are supposed to go up into the mid to high 60s, lows in the 50s high 40s. Looking forward to that and when the sun comes out, we open blinds, even though its cold, the radiant sun heat through the windows is welcome. We keep a dehumidifier running to keep the windows from fogging. Would be more efficient to have skirting around the RV to block the wind but for the 2 months we will be here, it doesn't seem cost effective. Yes it would be better to have double pane windows, but we have what we have.
    Thought people might be interested in how much propane you might use in colder weather.

We are not use to this extended colder weather camping, but so far we are coping and the RV is performing well. Love the family but we look forward to getting back to southern Texas and warmer weather.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-02-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: correction and added content
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the informative post. Was wondering just how long 30lb bottle would last.
    Wishing you a great, and safe, visit with the family.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it may be a bit inconvenient, but you might make it last a bit longer if you lower the temp at night to say 66 while under the covers? That 4 or so degrees could eek you out at least another couple of days out of each tank.

Good Luck!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always turn the furnace down to 60 at night and then turn it up to 68 or 69 when I wake up and then wait about 15 minutes to get out of bed.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum