User Tag List

Thread: New Tires

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tires

I am researching to replace the original tires, west lake St225 75r 15 load E....they are not quite 3 years yet and have 15000 miles I have put on them.
    No issues with them, one flat due to a nail.

Gd 230 RL, looking at GoodYear Endurance, but also thinking of going to 235 70r 16 load H

Anyone using the endurance tires now and also anyone that has switched to 16” rims
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1EA0E780-6259-4D35-9AC4-A4DCC90D80C1.jpeg  

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SteveCass Before moving up to a 16" tire and rims you need to make sure that you have enough clearance. When GD went to the Wetlake 235/80R16 tires on my 297RSTS they had a problem and needed to do a recall to add a 2" lift kit so that the tires would not hit one of the slideout rams. Others have had issues with tires hitting the underside of the trailer even with the size that came from GD do better check all of your clearances before you proceed this way.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swapped out our four Westlakes (ST225/75R15) with only 4000 miles on them, with Goodyear Endurance tires at the beginning of this camping season. There is no comparison between the two tires. The Westlakes were more flimsy with very mushy sidewalls when compared to the Goodyears and they were noticeably lighter too. I didn't weigh them but the Goodyears just seemed a bit heavier. I keep the new Goodyears at 80 PSI, just like I did the old Westlakes. I did find load tables for the Goodyear endurance that said I could be running them at a lower pressure based upon our loading. I haven't reduced it yet and I'm not sure that I will, I'm still undecided about that. Lastly not this could be my imagination, but now that we have the GoodYear Endurance tires on the trailer it seems to tow better. When I was towing at highway speeds with the old Westlakes on the trailer, I seemed to feel an ever so slight very subtle pull to the left, as a large tractor trailer passed me on the left. I no longer experience that feeling with the new tires. That could be due to stiffer side walls, I just don't know. All I do know is that I'm very happy with the new tires. I no longer worry about the tires when towing.

I thought about shifting to a larger tire, but decided not to because I'd like to upgrade the suspension using the Moryde 3000 and was afraid that I wouldn't have enough clearance to do both. I think the Moryde 3000 allows for a bit more tire travel than the original cheapo Dexter system.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, it appears to be the same issues I’ve heard about going to a 16” rim with clearance, My trailer is already set to the highest point, also I watched a few people that switch to Goodyear tires and explained the same details regarding the side walls.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that Goodyear Endurance tires are made in the USA!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 205/75R15 Load Range D size the Westlake weighs 6lbs less than the Goodyear. That’s about 25% more!

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings