User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking off a tire

Looking at removing one (or both) wheels (on one side) when not connected to the truck. This is my first 5th wheel and hydraulic stabilizer system. Any suggestions on how to do it? Can I use the stabilizer system to lift up the trailer? If so, do I do one side or the whole trailer? Or put jack stands under the front frame, bring up all stabilizer jacks, and then jack up one side with a floor jack? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggates View Post
    Looking at removing one (or both) wheels (on one side) when not connected to the truck. This is my first 5th wheel and hydraulic stabilizer system. Any suggestions on how to do it? Can I use the stabilizer system to lift up the trailer? If so, do I do one side or the whole trailer? Or put jack stands under the front frame, bring up all stabilizer jacks, and then jack up one side with a floor jack? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

When we replaced our tires, we jacked up one side at a time. We were told it's best to use an actual jack, and not the landing gear/stabilizers to raise the trailer off the ground.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean you put jack stands under the front frame and retracted the landing gear?
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that mean you put jack stands under the front frame and retracted the landing gear?
    No, we didn't retract the landing gear. But we just left it where it was. Our rig was in storage, with landing gear down, when we raised the trailer to remove tires. When we removed the 2 tires on one side, we put the spare on one of the axles, and then lowered it just enough that the spare was taking some of the weight while the tires were off being replaced.

As to where to place the jack, I can't recall specifically where it was placed. I'm sure others here can help with that. It was somewhere around where the wheels were, not all the way forward.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    No, we didn't retract the landing gear. But we just left it where it was. Our rig was in storage, with landing gear down, when we raised the trailer to remove tires. When we removed the 2 tires on one side, we put the spare on one of the axles, and then lowered it just enough that the spare was taking some of the weight while the tires were off being replaced.

As to where to place the jack, I can't recall specifically where it was placed. I'm sure others here can help with that. It was somewhere around where the wheels were, not all the way forward.
    Thanks for advice
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just lifted the whole trailer off the ground with the hydraulic jacks. They are plenty strong enough. I pulled all four tires at once to get them changed. Early literature on the system from lippert actually listed that as an advantage for changing a flat. I imagine the lawyers got involved and put a stop to it incase of a hydraulic failure. I wouldn't work on it without jack stands for safety though. But for the lifting I will always use the onboard jacks. The system is set up to lift evenly and not twist the frame so I think its better for the unit that way.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I just lifted the whole trailer off the ground with the hydraulic jacks. They are plenty strong enough. I pulled all four tires at once to get them changed. Early literature on the system from lippert actually listed that as an advantage for changing a flat. I imagine the lawyers got involved and put a stop to it incase of a hydraulic failure. I wouldn't work on it without jack stands for safety though. But for the lifting I will always use the onboard jacks. The system is set up to lift evenly and not twist the frame so I think its better for the unit that way.
    I was hoping it could be that simple. But roger the statement about jackstands when working on it. Thanks.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping it could be that simple. But roger the statement about jackstands when working on it. Thanks.
    Just be aware, the official word is don't do it. So its your responsibility if something goes wrong.

Also, If you lift all 4 at the same time you may flip the shackles. Not a big deal just will sound bad. Mine have always flipped back on their own when setting it back down.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    I can't count the number of times I have done this, although I normally only do one side at a time. Yes, Lippert has to say "Don't do this" for liability reasons. When possible, I like to be hitched to the truck for added stability. I you're doing anything more than changing a flat use jack stands.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"