User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dauber Screens.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use them during the winter when I am not using the camper and then remove when camping season returns in the spring/summer.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a fact of physics that the screen WILL reduce airflow.

The question is how significant is the impact and how does this balance with the risk of the impact of insect infestation.

For me, my fridge is in a slide and the vents are so high that I need a ladder to check them. For me, this means I am not going to check them often. As I am in an area of the country that the risk of mud dauber infestation is high; I use the screens. I have for years (prior to the RV as well) and I have had no issues.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    Same for us.
    Same here. Cannot imagine that they would restrict air flow enough to void refrigerator warranty. Used for 5 years with no problem.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budbon View Post
    I've never had an issue with critters getting in my refer back or heater exhaust, but I recently saw a YouTube video of a guy that has and installed Tauber Screens. Seems a good idea but, I also heard of others that say the refer (as example) could operate better without even the stock cover in order to enhance airflow. Wouldn't dauber Screens result in restricted airflow? What say you?
    Been using dauber screens on our 303 for three years without issue
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our furnace will not work with screens on them. But I do keep one on in the summer and in storage. I take it off before turning furnace on.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budbon View Post
    I've never had an issue with critters getting in my refer back or heater exhaust, but I recently saw a YouTube video of a guy that has and installed Tauber Screens. Seems a good idea but, I also heard of others that say the refer (as example) could operate better without even the stock cover in order to enhance airflow. Wouldn't dauber Screens result in restricted airflow? What say you?
    Check your manual for each appliance. Bug screens can void your warranty. They do cut down on airflow all screens do. There is a good video on YouTube where this is demonstrated.

Tom.... Aerospace Engineer
    Thomas & Makiko
    2021 GD2500RL

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drpower View Post
    Our furnace will not work with screens on them. But I do keep one on in the summer and in storage. I take it off before turning furnace on.
    So, were you seeing the furnace not able to light with the screens on? That really surprises me. I might have expected air flow to be limited to the point that it diminished the fridge's ability to cool. To prevent the furnace from working is pretty extreme. Has me wondering if some of the screens have tighter mesh patterns then others.

You make a great point though. In the case of the furnace opening, one would only need the screens off for the time period when the furnace would be used. The furnace screen is pretty easy to take on and off.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    So, were you seeing the furnace not able to light with the screens on? That really surprises me. I might have expected air flow to be limited to the point that it diminished the fridge's ability to cool. To prevent the furnace from working is pretty extreme. Has me wondering if some of the screens have tighter mesh patterns then others.

You make a great point though. In the case of the furnace opening, one would only need the screens off for the time period when the furnace would be used. The furnace screen is pretty easy to take on and off.
    The furnace worked great. Installed the screen and then when we tried to use the furnace it would keep trying to lite and then finally time out. Checked everything inside the furnace and everything was operating correctly. Took the screen off and furnace worked fine. Put screen on again and it wouldn’t lite.

I took a basic RV maintenance class once and they mentioned that this could happen with the screens. I thought it was crazy at that time because how bad could a screen restrict the air flow. But now I know it can.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the screen causing flow reduction, the mud daubers will reduce the flow to zero if they make nests and "welding" the fan blades to the wall or motor. I turned on my heater, and later I smelled overheating electrical realizing the fan motor wasn't on when it was supposed to be. I shut heater down immediately and removed the heater and its cover and discovered several places where those buggers glued my fan solid. The lesser of two evils are to use the screens. Lucky for me, after cleaning up the fan, it seemed to operate as if nothing happened. In my guestimate, if there is a 40% reduction of airflow with a flat screen, get a bowl screen with a 200% increase of surface area over the inlet/outlets, and the flow reduction would be minimal.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daubers are extremely common down here. We've used the screens without an issue after having to clean out a dauber nest from the hot water heater. Not a lot of fun.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast