User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Valley tips

We are planning a trip to Death Valley in the middle of December when the moon is not visible to take advantage of the night sky. Does anyone have any good BLM recommendations on where to stay? We will be there about a week and will hit a full hook up in the middle to dump tanks, any recommendations for a full hook up site also?

Thanks
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    We are planning a trip to Death Valley in the middle of December when the moon is not visible to take advantage of the night sky. Does anyone have any good BLM recommendations on where to stay? We will be there about a week and will hit a full hook up in the middle to dump tanks, any recommendations for a full hook up site also?

Thanks
    Don't know about BLM campgrounds around there, but we stayed at Furnace Creek campground (inside the park). It's nice, 18 sites with full hookups.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dopperud, actually there are quite a few campgrounds in death valley but few RV parks with full hookups. Picking a campground just depends upon which end of the valley you wish to see. Most campgrounds are quite basic so be prepared.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this response is probably a bit late, but if you look for 'the pads' death valley on campedium you will find a very nice place to boondock. There is no water/power whatever, but it is free. I have driven by it but not stayed there. When I go back I probably will. In terms of full hookup site, there might just be one place in the park itself, furnace creek I think. They don't have a lot and they book up quickly. There are some places outside of the park available I believe, I have not stayed at them. Good luck, we were there this January for 4 days and it was very nice, (but we did have a moon so no night photography).
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrowe View Post
    this response is probably a bit late, but if you look for 'the pads' death valley on campedium you will find a very nice place to boondock. There is no water/power whatever, but it is free. I have driven by it but not stayed there. When I go back I probably will. In terms of full hookup site, there might just be one place in the park itself, furnace creek I think. They don't have a lot and they book up quickly. There are some places outside of the park available I believe, I have not stayed at them. Good luck, we were there this January for 4 days and it was very nice, (but we did have a moon so no night photography).
    Thats a good tip on "the pads". Any comments on size of rigs able to get into this area and utilize the camping? Would a 40ft rig be too big?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are concrete pads that were created for a purpose I don't know, but they are pretty large I think a 40ft will be no problem. No or very little cell service, but that's pretty much describes most of death valley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pads are really big and nice. We stayed there for 3 nights for free and loved it but it's little too far away from the everything. There are a few campgrounds inside the park that only charge $7-$8 per night (no hookups but with a dump site and potable water right next to it) with NPS senior pass. "Sunset campground" is the one of them that I remember and it's in Furnace creek across from the visitor center.