User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to add a WeBoost WITHOUT running cables on 375RES

My talented husband figured out how to install the WeBoost RV cellphone booster in our 375RES Solitude without drilling any holes or running cables through slides or windows. We mounted the antenna curbside between the bedroom and kitchen slides, used the water hose access to run the cable into the utility bay, and used the satellite connection for the kitchen to run the cell signal to the hutch. From there he mounted the booster close to the outlet, and the interior antenna at the other end of the hutch. We use our cellphones for hotspots and have gone from 2 bars with dropped calls and slow connections to 4 bars and able to stream whatever we want. Very happy to have been able to do this without making holes in our 'house'. And when we move, it's just a matter of unhooking the outside cable and lowering the antenna. Nothing inside needs to be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30563
    What Happens at the Campground Gets Laughed at All Year Long

2020 Grand Design Solitude 375RES
    2020 Ram 3500 w/HO Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats cool. Did you need coaxial adapters for the we boost supplied cables ? I plan to do the same but the sure call rv booster I bought has FME coaxial cables whereas Grand design has type f.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!! I will add this to my to do list for my 375...thanks!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelab View Post
    Thats cool. Did you need coaxial adapters for the we boost supplied cables ? I plan to do the same but the sure call rv booster I bought has FME coaxial cables whereas Grand design has type f.
    The Weboost and the Solitude had type F connectors so adaptors were not needed. We did add a right angle connector in the kitchen to make for a better flush mount.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatHappens@TheCampground View Post
    The Weboost and the Solitude had type F connectors so adaptors were not needed. We did add a right angle connector in the kitchen to make for a better flush mount.
    Not to pour cold water on your husband's ingenuity, but the factory-installed coax cable will be quite "lossy" at the frequencies used by cell systems. Your booster will not perform as well as it could, and my experience with two of them in fringe areas is that you often want every bit of signal you can get through them.

Replacing the factory cable with at least a good-quality quad-shielded RG-6 cable would make a noticeable difference. Consider when doing it that every connector from end to end in a cable reduces its performance, so while it might be tempting to ease replacing it by doing it in sections joined by connectors that might eliminate the benefit from replacing it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatHappens@TheCampground View Post
    My talented husband figured out how to install the WeBoost RV cellphone booster in our 375RES Solitude without drilling any holes or running cables through slides or windows. We mounted the antenna curbside between the bedroom and kitchen slides, used the water hose access to run the cable into the utility bay, and used the satellite connection for the kitchen to run the cell signal to the hutch. From there he mounted the booster close to the outlet, and the interior antenna at the other end of the hutch. We use our cellphones for hotspots and have gone from 2 bars with dropped calls and slow connections to 4 bars and able to stream whatever we want. Very happy to have been able to do this without making holes in our 'house'. And when we move, it's just a matter of unhooking the outside cable and lowering the antenna. Nothing inside needs to be done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30563
    How did you mount the outside antenna? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Not to pour cold water on your husband's ingenuity, but the factory-installed coax cable will be quite "lossy" at the frequencies used by cell systems. Your booster will not perform as well as it could, and my experience with two of them in fringe areas is that you often want every bit of signal you can get through them.

Replacing the factory cable with at least a good-quality quad-shielded RG-6 cable would make a noticeable difference. Consider when doing it that every connector from end to end in a cable reduces its performance, so while it might be tempting to ease replacing it by doing it in sections joined by connectors that might eliminate the benefit from replacing it.
    Yes, we knew there might be some loss, not as much as we feared though. But it is why we used the Satellite connection - which is not split - instead of the cable, which is split. And going from 1 bar of 3G to 4 - 5 bars of 5G is definitely worth it. If we get to an area that the reception is even worse, and the loss of using the coax means we still con't connect, I will update the post.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    How did you mount the outside antenna? KEN
    The antenna came with brackets that we mounted right outside the door for the water connection, so we were able to runthe antenna cable from underneath right next to the hose. Easy to setup and take down every time we move that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting strategy. Where exactly did you mount the outside antenna? From your description, it sounds like you attached it to the outside wall of the RV between the bedroom and kitchen slides. Is that correct? If so, did you just screw it into the side, creating holes that need to be sealed? Thanks for your response and additional ideas.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missgirl50 View Post
    Interesting strategy. Where exactly did you mount the outside antenna? From your description, it sounds like you attached it to the outside wall of the RV between the bedroom and kitchen slides. Is that correct? If so, did you just screw it into the side, creating holes that need to be sealed? Thanks for your response and additional ideas.
    Yes, we installed it on the side between the slides. That way we could run the cable up through the Nautilus. It came with special mounting tape that has held on for over a year so far, in both high -115- and low -5- temps. And winds in excess of 45mph when we forgot to take it down during a winter storm. So no holes or drilling required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast