User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22 MLE Review after 1 month

First time rv owner. I have had nice Lund boats all my life,and we wanted an rv to extend our fishing time, by camping and not driving 2 hours for 2 or 3 times in a weekend to fish. Also for us to take a few lil trips now that we will be empty nesters next year.
    So far, just a lil and I mean little deal. When pulling the bottom pantry door out, it catched ever so slightly on the back of the dinette pleather. I removed the staples and tightened the pleather up, and problem solved.
    We have camped and fished in temps down to 20 degrees and not a problem keeping warm. A lil space heater and furnace on, and we were toasty warm.
    A few obsevations....and these are just some things that would make the 22 MLE better for me.
    Interior lights....8 of them....that's too many 90 percent of the time. If half would have a switch on them, it would be better.
    I didnt like having to open cabinet up to turn lights on, but I set up compass connect, and it is not a big deal anymore.
    Mattress we used 1 weekend, and tossed it. Put our mattress from our bed on it and got a new one for the house.
    Speakers....are terrible, and I listen to am talk radio most of the time. But it is what it is.
    The 2 vents and covers.....could GV possibly put anything any cheaper in them? We used them 2 times and I can honestly say, what a joke. I had a max air put in and the other cover replaced.
    Those are the.things that stick out after 1 month. But I researched alot and expected the vents and speakers....and really I am happy with choice we made.
    Couple improvements that I would like .....and I will do myself on the under bed storage.
    Under bed storage, I will put a couple drawers in the front this winter. I dont like lifting the bed up....
    Gv needs to make someplace for a waste basket in kitchen....I'm a neat freak, and trash should be out of sight....maybe eliminate a couple kitchen drawers by bathroom.
    All in all, we really like it, just providing a lil insight on our first month. We have a few winter hunting trips planned for bird hunting, will winterize and not use water, just basically sleep in it. We are looking forward to all the time we get to spend in it.
    Any other 22MLE opinions out there?
    Last edited by LIBBY123; 11-05-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in all we love ours. Like you mentioned, just little things that we'll modify to our liking. We dont have the Compass Connect but will be installing dimmers for the ceiling lights and awning lights (got them 2 months ago just haven't had time to install). We have our dirty laundry basket under the bed and other stuff that we dont use often, which is working for us. Did replace the mattress and cut it up to replace the dinette cushions with as we found those too soft. I wish the 22mle came with a rear hitch and larger pass thru doors.
    For your late season trips, you should consider a small dehumidifier. Condensation was a problem during our last trip in colder weather.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    All in all we love ours. Like you mentioned, just little things that we'll modify to our liking. We dont have the Compass Connect but will be installing dimmers for the ceiling lights and awning lights (got them 2 months ago just haven't had time to install). We have our dirty laundry basket under the bed and other stuff that we dont use often, which is working for us. Did replace the mattress and cut it up to replace the dinette cushions with as we found those too soft. I wish the 22mle came with a rear hitch and larger pass thru doors.
    For your late season trips, you should consider a small dehumidifier. Condensation was a problem during our last trip in colder weather.

So far not a problem with condensation, but again, we are in Kansas, and it is bone dry right now. A dehumidifier is on the list. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LIBBY123 View Post
    So far not a problem with condensation, but again, we are in Kansas, and it is bone dry right now. A dehumidifier is on the list. Any suggestions?
    I wish I did, ours is winterized but one is on my radar for next year.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review! We are seriously considering the MLE
    What’s Next? ;)
    2016 PleasureWay Pursuit
    2013 Redwood 36RL
    2012 Forest River Solera Class B
    2005-2015 Cottage in Alexandria Bay NY
    2003 Pilgrim Open Road 298RLS
    1999-2003 Many Many Tents

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 22 MLE owner here. Purchased new in March. We managed 9 trips this year, typically about 3 days duration. A little over 4K miles total.

Overall, we love our 22MLE and are glad we bought it (and GD). Made a few updates/upgrades, and will do more next season, but nothing major. If we could change one thing about the 22 MLE it would be the bathroom. It is small, and I'm not.

We love the layout and the space for the relative shortness of the TT. Comfortable theater seats, Roku TV, full-queen mattress. We did add a 4" foam topper and that made it a little better.
    No real warranty issues. We have the heat flow issue reported in some of the GS TT's - by the time the forced air gets to the bed pedestal, its clod and has no force. This is a design flaw, wince you have 2 larger ducts right next to the heater, and a smaller diameter duct going nearly the length of the trailer. We solve this by setting the heat a bit lower, and using a small space heater under the dinette.

Tires, chassis, fit and finish - all good on this model. Had to touch-up the sealant around a couple windows, but that's normal if you tow them. Got a cover over it for the winter, and when I de-winterize, I'll do a full inspection and apply any touch-up sealant needed. Had a distortion in one of the overhead speakers, turns out they drilled through the roof for the TV antenna right over the speaker and it had sawdust in it. We replaced with better speakers anyway, so no big deal.

Upgrades pending: Would like to go to the Goodyear Endurance tires, but these look new (they are), so probably wait a couple years on that. Looking at upgrading the equalizers with the Lippert Road Armor. Probably upgrade the stairs too.

Happy campers, looking forward to getting back out come March. Travel Safe!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 22MLE last January, a 2020 model. We love the layout, especially the ability to use everything when the slide is closed, the numerous drawers, the pantry, and all the storage. We also love the theater seating right across from the tv and having a dinette too. Nice counter space, bathroom cabinet storage and great shower.

The only issues we have had in around 6000 miles of travel to Montana, Idaho, utah, using dirt roads at times, from Lake Havasu City, AZ are: Some minor molding coming off, three leaks under bathroom sink (not sure why, all connections looked proper), and the refer stopped working with propane due to a particle in the burner unit. I fixed the molding with a ryobi brad nailer (the molding are not stapled but are nailed using very small brads). I had the other work fixed under warranty by the dealer we bought from.

I wish: the bathroom faucet was easier to get your hands under; the speakers were better quality; fresh water and grey and black tanks were bigger; the led lights in ceiling were controlled more separately instead of one switch for all of them, need separate light over kitchen sink; need usb plug on both sides of bed not just one; there was a night stand by the bed (I would eliminate one of the drawers by the bed for a nightstand); there was an easy solution to the large pantry which is very deep and hard to get to items in the back. I would like a 33”x10” basket to but in both pantry shelves so i can pull out the basket and reach all the items in the pantry. So far cant find one. Probably will make one.

All in all we love our 22MLE and havent seen another rv we would like better. BTW we tow it with a 2014 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost crewcab with trailer towing package. Plenty of power and control to haul rv. We use two 100 watt renogy lightweight suitcase solar panels for the two Interstate batteries we have. We have been off the grid for 10 days and have no battery issues using just solar. We only use a Honda 2200i generator for microwave and wifes hairdryer and curing iron. A rockpalls 300 watt solar generator runs the tv. We put a 3” memory foam on the bed and its awesome. We put command strip shelves on the side of cabinet by bed to put books or glasses on. We have two baskets in the shoe storage area for the wife and my shoes which works great. I carry my Ryobi drill, brad nailer, dust buster, tire pump with us. Great for lowering jacks, molding repair, clean up and keeping tires at pressure. Also, our experience with Grand Design has been awesome. Any warranty issues are handled by whoever u can get to fix it and they will reimburse. Always easy to contact and no ridiculous waiting times. Hope this helps those who are looking at the 22MLE.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlsmle View Post
    We bought our 22MLE last January, a 2020 model. We love the layout, especially the ability to use everything when the slide is closed, the numerous drawers, the pantry, and all the storage. We also love the theater seating right across from the tv and having a dinette too. Nice counter space, bathroom cabinet storage and great shower.

The only issues we have had in around 6000 miles of travel to Montana, Idaho, utah, using dirt roads at times, from Lake Havasu City, AZ are: Some minor molding coming off, three leaks under bathroom sink (not sure why, all connections looked proper), and the refer stopped working with propane due to a particle in the burner unit. I fixed the molding with a ryobi brad nailer (the molding are not stapled but are nailed using very small brads). I had the other work fixed under warranty by the dealer we bought from.

I wish: the bathroom faucet was easier to get your hands under; the speakers were better quality; fresh water and grey and black tanks were bigger; the led lights in ceiling were controlled more separately instead of one switch for all of them, need separate light over kitchen sink; need usb plug on both sides of bed not just one; there was a night stand by the bed (I would eliminate one of the drawers by the bed for a nightstand); there was an easy solution to the large pantry which is very deep and hard to get to items in the back. I would like a 33”x10” basket to but in both pantry shelves so i can pull out the basket and reach all the items in the pantry. So far cant find one. Probably will make one.

All in all we love our 22MLE and havent seen another rv we would like better. BTW we tow it with a 2014 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost crewcab with trailer towing package. Plenty of power and control to haul rv. We use two 100 watt renogy lightweight suitcase solar panels for the two Interstate batteries we have. We have been off the grid for 10 days and have no battery issues using just solar. We only use a Honda 2200i generator for microwave and wifes hairdryer and curing iron. A rockpalls 300 watt solar generator runs the tv. We put a 3” memory foam on the bed and its awesome. We put command strip shelves on the side of cabinet by bed to put books or glasses on. We have two baskets in the shoe storage area for the wife and my shoes which works great. I carry my Ryobi drill, brad nailer, dust buster, tire pump with us. Great for lowering jacks, molding repair, clean up and keeping tires at pressure. Also, our experience with Grand Design has been awesome. Any warranty issues are handled by whoever u can get to fix it and they will reimburse. Always easy to contact and no ridiculous waiting times. Hope this helps those who are looking at the 22MLE.
    I'm curious on your solar setup. Do you just plug them on the exterior port?
    For the ceiling light, I agree. I'll be installing the PCA dimmer in ours and I'll do the awning light also. I'm also planning on doing cubbies with 12 and 120v on each side of the bed. The 2021 models have that now. There's also another member that is currently making these cubbies.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, i have been using one 100 watt panel hooked up to a controller and then plugged into the Furion port. That has worked for keeping my batteries charged. The panel works so efficiently that even on cloudy days im getting decent charging, something my old Renolgy panel never did. The other 100 watt panel i use to charge my 300 watt solar generator. If needed I can join the two panels together and have 200 watts charging the trailer. But so far not needed to. We are frugal on the power usage. Dont use the furnace often if at all, leave water pump off unless using it, have refer and water heater on propane, dont use the led ceiling lights very long as there are a lot of them on at once. I charge everyday from when i get up until the sun is basically down. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought our 22mle in Nov 19. Really like it so far, it’s a good size for a couple. Only two issues to date and both are fixed.

Here’s a list of things we’ve replaced:
    shower head
    dinette seat cushions
    bathroom faucet
    Westlakes with GY Endurance at about 1500 miles
    equalizers with Dexter EZ Flex & hd wet bolt kit
    exhaust fan in kitchen with MaxxFan Deluxe
    black tank vent cap on roof with a 360 Siphon
    added recliner button protectors
    I’m going to replace the bathroom fan too.

Agree that the overhead lights are too much so we bought LED strip lights that are motion sensing, magnetic and USB rechargeable. Put a couple in the pantry as well. I’m working on putting a shelf in the compartment under the dinette seat when you come in the door. We store our extra shoes there and the self will allow us to put a couple more pair in there.

All in all we are pleased with our choice.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast