User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Grey water gauge problem

    We have a Solitude 369RL, but I would think that this question applies to all products. My grey water 2 always shows 2/3 full even when the drain handles are open. any one have any suggestions or fixes? I'm not sure it hasn't been that way since new. I know it is not full as we are spending 3 months in it and I know it would be backed up inside by now. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tom
    Gen & Tom - Arnold, MO.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #924
    2013 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
    Trailer Saver Air Hitch
    RVing since 1982

  2. #2
    Long Hauler Paul & Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You'll find lot's of us with the identical problem even though different models. Mine has been that way since we picked it up. I don't care though. I have a very good sense for how much goes in and how many days we can dry camp before I need to consider dumping. Should it be that way? No, but many are. If you want to drop the belly wrap you can check the wires or even change out the POS OEM probes for some upgraded styles but I am just going to leave mine the way they are. I don't want even the dealer to drop the coroplast unless it's something much more important than the waste water level sensors.

    Just my .02
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

  3. #3
    Long Hauler LCBoyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Los Fresnos, Texas
    Posts
    4,018
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The in tank sensor are easily fouled. No sure fire way to keep them clean
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

  4. #4
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. We had our Kountry Star for 13 1/2 years before the Solitude and 3 motor homes before that and never had a problem with the grey water sensors. I'm starting to wonder if it is a panel issue rather than a tank sensor problem. I agree that I don't want the dealer pulling the bottom down just to fix bad sensors. Could it maybe be a staple in the wires, if they even use staples to hold the wires?
    Gen & Tom - Arnold, MO.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #924
    2013 Chevy 3500HD 4X4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
    Trailer Saver Air Hitch
    RVing since 1982

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor Cate&Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,880
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gen & Tom,

    You raise an interesting question . . .
    I am new to RVing and it seems really odd to me that everyone accepts that tank level gauges will be totally random. I know that all four of mine are. Based on various discussions, the assumption is that this is because of fouled sensors. Maybe there is a more systemic problem in how these sensors are wired on Grand Design products ? I don't like the idea of dropping the belly cover . . . but, I hate things that don't work.

    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

  6. #6
    Long Hauler Paul & Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTom View Post
    Thanks for the replies. We had our Kountry Star for 13 1/2 years before the Solitude and 3 motor homes before that and never had a problem with the grey water sensors. I'm starting to wonder if it is a panel issue rather than a tank sensor problem. I agree that I don't want the dealer pulling the bottom down just to fix bad sensors. Could it maybe be a staple in the wires, if they even use staples to hold the wires?
    Sure. I think a staple through a wire would be a strong possibility but where to check? One of my grey tanks read 2/3 on the walk through at the dealership! Nothing but test water ever in it and certainly nothing to "foul" it. Another possibility is that the wires were connected to the wrong sensors on the tank. There are 4 sensors for each tank. If the wires were switched, I would imagine t could result in a constant misreading.

    I think that is more likely but certainly pulling the panel and messing with the wires coming in to the panel would be worth a try.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

  7. #7
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lansing, Mi
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTom View Post
    We have a Solitude 369RL, but I would think that this question applies to all products. My grey water 2 always shows 2/3 full even when the drain handles are open. any one have any suggestions or fixes? I'm not sure it hasn't been that way since new. I know it is not full as we are spending 3 months in it and I know it would be backed up inside by now. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tom
    I am on my 3rd RV in 20+ years and this has always been a problem. I occasionally drain my grey tanks, leave the valves open and the cover off, letting all the moisture evaporate. After a few days check the gauge. It should read empty, if not contact the dealer to repair. The sensors are not real reliable and I think there some after market ones you an buy and install if you are really concerned with the actual levels. I never have been and have survived.

  8. #8
    Rolling Along TNFSolitude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Huron Twsp, MI
    Posts
    987
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it's still under warranty definately take it to the dealership. Also, consider re-posting this in the tech area where GD is more likely to see it and comment.

  9. #9
    Fireside Member Jahna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three units two of them new, never had a sensor work right after the first use. Just the nature of the system. There are a billion cures and nothing is 100% in fact most are snake oil and might work but doesn't solve the problem to begin with. Once you get used to your rig you will know, it's shower 4 time to drain! Day 10 time to dump. Or the ever fool proof "honey I can't drain the galley so I think you better dump."
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

  10. #10
    Ditkitty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpops View Post
    I am on my 3rd RV in 20+ years and this has always been a problem. I occasionally drain my grey tanks, leave the valves open and the cover off, letting all the moisture evaporate. After a few days check the gauge. It should read empty, if not contact the dealer to repair. The sensors are not real reliable and I think there some after market ones you an buy and install if you are really concerned with the actual levels. I never have been and have survived.
    I have the same experience as this....mine always say there is some in them, but after draining and leaving it sit for awhile, the sensor eventually responds - it doesn't usually take days, but it definitely takes longer than you'd expect. Our previous RV did the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Haul Gauge
    By John612 in forum Electrical System and Wiring
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 09:12 PM
  2. Gas Gauge In 2018 Momentum 381
    By ScottABrad in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM
  3. Momentum 350 Fuel Gauge and Pump
    By kgillard in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.