Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Newbie question about the fridge

We're new to RVing so likely have some pretty dumb questions such as:

We recently picked up our 2021 Imagine. During orientation they stressed that it has to be level or the fridge will be damaged. I'd originally thought to run the fridge on propane while towing like a friend suggested but I'm pretty sure it won't remain level while being towed. So do I run the fridge or pack an icebox? Thank you.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running the fridge on propane while driving is a debatable topic. Regardless, I keep mine on, and after 4 years and around 17k miles there hasn't been an issue with my fridge due to keeping it on while towing. I think it has to be a significant off level to cause any damage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leveling "thing" with RV/absorption refrigerators has to do with the technology and its propensity for forming gas locks or chemical membranes in the heat-circulated cooling system (an RV fridge doesn't have a compressor). While sitting still, it needs to be within a few degrees of level. Bouncing down the road it's a non-issue since the bouncing keeping anything from stagnating. In fact, when an RV/absorption fridge quits working, an oft-given piece of advice is to turn it on and take it a trip on some rough country roads. The usual arguments for or against running the fridge while under way are a question of safety (open flame/propane in case of an accident or during a fuel stop). Many of us have run our propane fridges while on the road for years without issues. You just need to be careful to turn it off before fueling - especially if you have a gasoline powered tow vehicle. You may also be required to turn off your propane at the tanks before entering some tunnels, etc.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is yes, the fridge needs to be level to run properly and not damage the unit. The reason in simple terms is off level the solids in the charge can separate and pool in the cooling tubes and cause a clog, thus damaging the cooling unit. Having said that, it is also my understanding that while running down the road, there is enough shaking and vibration where this is not an issue. The biggest debate about running the fridge on propane while running down the road is the potential fire hazard of keeping the propane flowing while driving in the event of an accident. In point, some highway tunnels will require you to show that the propane tank valves are closed before entering. I'm in the camp that keeps the refer running while driving. YMMV.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the education, everyone. Much appreciated. I guess the followup question would be, could it run off the batteries while towing and, if so, how long? We're taking a short shakedown trip to try everything out so the tow time won't be very long this time.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOMByrd View Post
    Thanks for the education, everyone. Much appreciated. I guess the followup question would be, could it run off the batteries while towing and, if so, how long? We're taking a short shakedown trip to try everything out so the tow time won't be very long this time.
    Only if you have an inverter (makes 120VAC out of 12VDC) and plenty of batteries. The electric heating elements on and RV refrigerator are a huge current draw. Stack, the answer is, "No."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refer either runs off propane or 120VAC. It does need 12VDC for the control board to operate. I've heard there are 12VDC heating elements on some of the latest models, but I'm not familiar with them. In order to run off 120VAC running down the road you would need an inverter large enough to handle the amp demand of the refer. Off the top of my head I don't recall the amp draw. This will put a draw on the RV house battery, but it is being charged by your tow vehicle while driving. You'll have to do some figuring to see if your tow vehicles charging system can keep up with the demand. I'm sure others will chime in with their expertise in this area...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most fridge's in modern rigs are 2 way, either run on regular house current such as 110, or propane. Unless your lucky and have a 3 way fridge. And can run on 12V. We've had all styles and 12V will keep it cold enough while driving, but will drain the batteries rapidly when your park. The 12V batteries will charge through your trailer hitch plug enough to easily run the frigerator while you're driving.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goal for next summer when we plan on some more extensive travelling is to set up a fridge only inverter and run off of that while driving.
    I have experience with running a boat fridge (same size) off of batteries and inverter and with 2 6v golf cart batteries I should be able to easily run one day while boondocking. If i add solar (the plan) even more.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast