User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are your campgrounds full?

We are planning to retire next year to the Crossville TN area. I called a campground near there, Deer Run, and asked about monthly rates and availability. She told me that ever since COVID their monthly spots have been full with a large waiting list that is not going down. So my question to the forum is how full are the campgrounds where you are staying? I am hoping that by next March/April things will be more open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not in the south, the campground in Michigan I work for was also sold out for monthly camping and were sold out every weekend from May 15 to October 10 for nightly spots.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are staying at a military FamCamp in Maryland over the winter and until at least the end of February (pending what happens with the pandemic). There are two parks on this installation and I don't keep up much with the park at the other end (it was pretty full last time we drove through). Our park has 12 spaces and 11 are occupied. The 12th was supposed to be, but that guest was invited to leave (Army style... long story). The park where we spent the first three months of the pandemic in Augusta, GA, filled up pretty quickly when things shut down the first week of March and stayed that way until we left the first week of June - don't know what's happened there since.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got back from cross country. No issues with reservations and we made several last minute changes without issue.

I think specifics are important. If there is one or two monthly rate full-time campground options, stuff is going to be tight during high season, probably all season. You might have to wait for someone to leave or die because that is just how it is. X number of spaces with Y number of people wanting sites where Y > X.

Where we are, it gets really busy in winter. Stupid busy. This is why after a couple of years of renting spots we just bought an ownership lot and didn't want to bother with it anymore.

Good luck. Everything is local and will vary a ton from area to area. There is room but when you get in a high season or are looking for a permanent spot things get more difficult due to demand, zoning and owners having a love hate relationship with permanente residents.
    Last edited by Aridon; 11-06-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just booked an 8-week trip to Asheville, Savannah, and up the coast then back to the Pittsburgh area. Things were pretty easy for the period prior to Memorial Day weekend, then they got tough. We had one campground (a state park) that we had selected, but it was full for early May. I had to reconfigure that part of the trip. We had to pick several KOAs (we usually don’t because of the cost), in order to fill out the rest of the trip. All together, we are probably having to spend about 1/2 of the trip in KOAs, when we had planned to mostly hit state parks.

Some of the parks had spots available with only water/electricity, and some with electricity only, but the DW likes full hookups, as we stay up to a week at a location and she doesn’t want to worry about tank capacities.
    Last edited by Richter; 11-07-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: I hate splellcheck...
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    This is why after a couple of years of renting spots we just bought an ownership lot and didn't want to bother with it anymore.
    Our 10th season of fulltiming. We have noticed a trend in the last couple of years of increased campground usage, particularly on the weekends, Sun-Thur, no problem, FRI-SAT booked for months. Even booking 6 months in advance is getting difficult. So we are looking at a couple of ownership lots also. We hate the idea of being tied down like that, might as well just buy a house, but we are struggling to retain our freedom.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's response so far, keep those cards and letters coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in feedback from the forum's full timers as well. My wife and I are making preparations to go full time in the future. We are in the planning stages now - we don't have an RV yet but are planning on getting the 375RES. As you know, this is a huge life-change. Selling your home and 95% of all your possessions, buying an RV and truck, etc. It's a big deal emotionally and mentally to plan. We're excited and nervous all at the same time. Once we hit the road, I want to know there will be places we can stay! For us, we are interested in a pace were we would stay at an RV park/campground for a month or so. We don't want to move around every week or two. A month would be perfect for us to be able to explore the area & sites as well as help our budget given monthly RV park/campground rates are generally cheaper than daily/weekly. Thus the question - if you have a similar travel pace where you want to stay a month, are you finding it difficult to secure locations with openings for a month's stay, especially during the peak season? If so, what have you done that works for you?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out here on the west coast, campgrounds are VERY full. It's really tough to find a nice place to stay these days. We were going to go to San Diego Mission Beach area for the Thanksgiving week, and there's nothing in the area available.

If I were to do this all over again, I'd get the smallest trailer I could stand, and get something with an off-road capable suspension. Then I'd set it up with a full solar and generator package, along with a water purification system. That way you can be totally off-grid on National Forest or BLM lands and not worry about reservations and full campgrounds.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didn’t travel this past summer. We finally went to a local county park a month ago but could only get weekday reservations; weekends were impossible to get. There were many more people staying a long time according to the campground.

Now we’re close to the end of a 2 week trip and have found campgrounds to be much more busy than in the past (all places we’ve stayed at before). One place that said reservations not needed - full when we arrived, next one up the road busy but spaces available. Next up was a popular spot in Pine Mtn, GA - full (we have a reservation) but most were weekenders for Halloween; it seemed to clear out for the weekdays.

Usual spot in Chattanooga - busy but lots of overnighters; still could spot the full timers though which were a lot more than in the past.

Next up - Wears Valley, TN (visiting friends not seen in years). Busy, busy, busy..... Haven’t been in that area in decades - remembered why on the drive in and out. Campgrounds FULL. But hey.... it’s a popular area so we expected that.

Bluff City, TN (yea - I know - where???)..... LOTS of full timers in a place mostly empty in the past when no activities at Bristol Motor Speedway. Mostly all Full time / semi-permanent (or maybe permanent based on all the ‘stuff’ outside their camper).

Bottom line for me - make reservations; expect to see fuller CGs with more semi-permanent’ers; deal with it.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast