Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wet Bolt Install Question

I am about to start a project to correct 4 wetbolts on the ends of my springs that will not accept grease. I have new bolts (just in case) and new bushings.

I know it's stated that the grease exit hole in the bolt should be placed at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. For those that have done the project which position did you choose? I'm sure either one will work, but I'd sure like to ensure success on the first try.

thanks,
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to replace a couple that wouldn't accept grease and was told they should be at 12 o'clock, or straight up.
    Was also told to hold the head of the bolt steady as you tighten the nut to prevent the hole slipping off the 12 o'clock position.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know about the 12 position, I’ve always heard 3 of 9. As to the bolt turning, it is knurled at the head end, and should not turn. That’s why you have to actually back it out of the hole about 1/2” before you can turn it, if the hole in the bolt was in the wrong position. I’ve also heard that you should not re-use the nuts.

There are at least a couple of discussion threads on either this, or the other, forum. If you do a search for “wet bolts”, I’m sure that you will come up with a lot of good info from folks that have actually worked on them. I have a couple of new ones as well, just haven’t had the time to install them.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    I just had to replace a couple that wouldn't accept grease and was told they should be at 12 o'clock, or straight up.
    Was also told to hold the head of the bolt steady as you tighten the nut to prevent the hole slipping off the 12 o'clock position.
    These should be at the 3 or 9 position so that they accept the grease. I would expect that either position will work but if not at 3 or 9 they may not take grease.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on my former trailer, a Lippert technician installed the wetbolts. He insisted they needed to be at the 6 or 12 position. A couple of the bolts would never take grease. I should have checked at install but I didn't know much about wetbolts at the time.

On my new install I plan to check the bolts first before they are installed to make sure they are working. After install at 3 or 9, I'll check and if by chance they still won't take grease, I'll then rotate.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know for the Morryde wet bolts, the instructions say 3 or 9, I dont think one is better than the other. The nuts are NOT reusable, they are deformed lock nuts, so the hole is actually more oval shaped than a circle, that's also why they only need to be torqued to 40 - 50 ft-lbs (I dont recall the exact amount). As stated above, the top portion of the bolt is knurled, so the bolt cant rotate, it needs to be backed out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I know for the Morryde wet bolts, the instructions say 3 or 9, I dont think one is better than the other. The nuts are NOT reusable, they are deformed lock nuts, so the hole is actually more oval shaped than a circle, that's also why they only need to be torqued to 40 - 50 ft-lbs (I dont recall the exact amount). As stated above, the top portion of the bolt is knurled, so the bolt cant rotate, it needs to be backed out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    See my OP. I'm replacing, not repositioning the bolts. I do need to get an exact torque value on those crush nuts. I had it and lost it......................
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    See my OP. I'm replacing, not repositioning the bolts. I do need to get an exact torque value on those crush nuts. I had it and lost it......................
    When in doubt read the instructions!
    https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u...structions.pdf
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I am about to start a project to correct 4 wetbolts on the ends of my springs that will not accept grease. I have new bolts (just in case) and new bushings.

I know it's stated that the grease exit hole in the bolt should be placed at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. For those that have done the project which position did you choose? I'm sure either one will work, but I'd sure like to ensure success on the first try.

thanks,
    The best answer? The clock position that has the least force on it. So, for instance, rear springs, rear hangers = 3 o'clock when the rig is on its wheels.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just completed replacing the 4 problem wet bolts. Placed grease holes to the 3 o'clock position. Zerk fittings now take grease with no problem.

What really surprised me was even though the trailer has only about 5K miles on it, all of the bushings associated with these wet bolts were in terrible condition. One was completely shattered. Makes me wonder how long bronze bushings will last, even with periodic greasing.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast