User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideal Hitch Height?

GD says a high hitch will cause fishtailing to occur and to adjust the hitch assembly so the tow vehicle and FW are essentially level. How do you determine the ideal hitch height for the FW so it’s not too high or too low on the tow vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 SD Diesel, 6 3/4’ Box
    B&W Gooseneck ATU

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Level and rail clearance are the key things, and with newer trucks you often can’t get both where you want them.

I’m 2” nose high to get bed rail clearance I’m comfortable with. It tows beautifully with even tire temperatures and pressure rise front to rear. The suspension on a tandem trailer can handle being a little out of level.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our stock 2016 F-350 SD sits high and drives nicely towing our 2019 303RLS FW. Just recently we went fishing so I got a chance to view our setup while towing our boat behind our setup. I noticed the FW would fishtail coming out of curves in the road. At first I thought my husband ran over a pothole since the FW aft end would dip then wag a few times before straightening out. However after a few more curves some sharper than others, the wag continued with the aft end of the trailer drifting into the adjacent lane. My husband said he didn’t notice or feel a thing from the driver’s seat. I’m wondering if our hitch pin is too high as mentioned could be the cause in the GM manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 SD Diesel, 6 3/4’ Box
    B&W Gooseneck ATU

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The head of most fifth wheel hitches can be raised and lowered - as can the pin box on the trailer. The issue is getting the trailer level and maintaining bedrail-to-overhang clearance. Shoot for 20 - 25% of the total loaded weight of a fifth wheel on the pin for proper loading and tracking. Fifth wheels typically don't "fishtail," though - that's mostly pull-behind travel trailers.

It would be helpful to know your RV model and what you're using as a tow vehicle when answering questions. Many put that information in a signature block (see mine below)... but you may have to be a subscriber to do that. Anyway, tell us more about your rig when asking questions.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a rear view camera, and have never seen a hint of my trailer doing any movement I didn’t cause. Looks like it’s running on rails behind me. I’d think a 5th wheel would need to be way out of balance for pin height to cause fishtailing. Too light on the pin maybe.

Though raising and lowering hitch height changes the weight balance, the effect for even several inches of change is very, very small when you do the math, though many people in the trailer business think it’s a big problem. Weight balancing due to load placement is a much bigger issue. RV transporters don’t even mess with trying to level. They tow badly nose up and fly down the road.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana