User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ready to install antenna and router, but lots of ???

(Sorry for the dissertation)

Ok, so I have scoured several site and posts and think I am ready. Quick recap, I’m looking to install a cellular system that can be used while stationary in the trailer AND while driving between destinations. I settled on the Pepwave MAX Tranit CAT18 cellular router and the Pepwave Puma 401 antenna. I have a Grand design Imagine XLS 21BHE (believe it is a SuperFlex rubber roof)

I have watched several videos and am ready to do the install of the Puma 401 antenna and the Transit MAX CAT18 (equipment should be here on the 11th). Given I want to use the wi-fi in the tow vehicle I have decided on the following:

- Mount the antenna on the front starboard (passenger) side of the roof, just behind the end of the front cap

- Drill through the roof into the starboard “closet” – this would be straight through to the router, no interior cable routing needed. The closest is very deep (front to back) and I don’t use the back of it anyway, so that can turn into the “tech area”

- Mount the Transit MAX on the back wall of the closet (which follows the curvature of the front cap). This allows it to be closest to the tow vehicle

- Drill through the bottom of the “closet” into the basement to run the 12V power through conduit to the battery cut off area. Hardwire the 12V to the exit of the battery cutoff. This allows the unit to run while driving.

- I am now thinking I will not need a separate access point to project to the tow vehicle (I originally thought the router would be middle of the trailer)

Questions:
    - I am thinking I should mount the antenna on a small “stand” to get it a bit higher than flush with the roof (it is only 1.42” high and 5.12” diameter). I purchased a 6”x6”x4” and 8”x8”x4” junction box (https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-x-8...3712/202043419). I figure I can mount the antenna to the top plate of the junction box, and then the box to the roof over the hole to the closet. This may allow me to drill a smaller hole as I only need to get the cables through and not the threads of the antenna housing. This gets it 4” inches up. The Wingard Air 360 would be ~30” away and is 6.5” high. The highest item on my roof is 9” high but many feet away (this also means I could theoretically add 7” of extra height and still not increase the overall height of my trailer). Does the extra 4” provide a performance difference?

- I have not really found anything on HOW to make a circular hole in a rubber roof? I have hole saws but have always used them for solid materials (i.e. wood and metal). Do I just use a hole saw?

- I didn’t find any info on if the Puma 401 would benefit from a ground plate? I purchased a 26 gauge 12”x18” steel plate and figure I can place it between the antenna and the larger junction box (cutting it to size of 8”x8” given you mentioned that was a good size) or between the junction box and the roof (in which case I could have a bigger area, i.e. 12”x12”. Would this help?

- My roof is SuperFlex and the manual says to use Alpha Systems 1010 Non-Sag Sealant. Do I just “seal” the whole junction box/antenna rig to the roof? Or do I need to screw it in too?

- For the 12V hardwire, what size gauge should I use? I am probably looking at a 15’ run from the unit to the battery cut off switch (which I plan on tapping into). I already have 18AWG, but wasn’t sure if jumping to 16AWG or 14AWG would help or be overkill.

Thank you for any help or info.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on the router (I have the same one). The admin software for managing the router is excellent!

I can only answer one of your questions regarding the hole saw for the roof. I wasn't sure what would happen to the roof membrane if I just started drilling a hole with a hole saw (kind of crude for cutting through the rubber roof) so I used a box knife to cut a hole the roof membrane the same diameter as the hole saw. Once the roof membrane was removed, I drilled down through the plywood that is directly under the roof membrane. Make sure there is no A/C duct work under the area you plan to drill the hole!

Good luck!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u may want to install a fuse on the positive cable from the power source to protect the the wire to the roof and your over all system.
    the size of fuse and wire is sized for the load of your system, post the full load and we can help with wire size/fuse and any voltage drop sould be minimal.
    Last edited by SDBigDog55; 11-14-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PepWave hardwire kit specifies a 3amp fuse, so I added an inline 3amp fuse to my wiring. I finalized everything today and it is working fine. We will see how it performs once we are driving. I ended up tapping into the USB ports in the cubby next to the queen bed.

The glitch I hit for the antenna through the roof is there was a truss between where I had the antenna and where I wanted to come through the trailer ceiling. So I had to improvise with some cable raceway for about 8 inches in the corner of the ceiling.

Thank you.