User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on making a decision. I'm very surprised what the dealer told you about the fuel tank. Most of the new F350s come with 48 gallon tanks, you would think the F450 was the same. Either way, you got the truck out of the way, on to the trailer now. If you have the option, might as well get 8k axles and disc brakes if you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arisythila View Post
    Would you guys recommend the 8k axles over the 7k axles?
    Good choice on getting a dually for the Momentum! As for axles for the RV, if you can swing the $$$, I'd get MORryde IS and disc brakes. The gold standard in RV suspension! A distant second choice for me would be 8k axles with disc brakes.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new truck.
    Not that it makes any difference, but I don't think that sales guy knew what he was talking about on the fuel tank capacity of the F-450.
    According to the Ford spec guide all F250, F350 & F450 crew cab long box trucks (176" WB) have a 48 gal tank (see attached pic)

On the subject of axles and brakes, I agree with what FT4NOW and bertschb said, go with the MORryde IS/disc brakes or at least the 8k disc brake option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9839.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	30673
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice on the Ram, if you just ordered it it’ll be a 2021 and from my info on the Ram HD forum I’d be shocked if you see it before Christmas as FCA turnaround times are running around 2 months or longer.
    Scott & Linda
    2022 390RK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited DRW HO Cummins LB
    B&W Companion 3600 RVK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Congrats on making a decision. I'm very surprised what the dealer told you about the fuel tank. Most of the new F350s come with 48 gallon tanks, you would think the F450 was the same. Either way, you got the truck out of the way, on to the trailer now. If you have the option, might as well get 8k axles and disc brakes if you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    He was an older guy... He just said that a majority of what they get is the lower capacity tanks, and he wasn't aware of a bigger tank. (shrug) I am just happy to be done with this part of the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Good choice on getting a dually for the Momentum! As for axles for the RV, if you can swing the $$$, I'd get MORryde IS and disc brakes. The gold standard in RV suspension! A distant second choice for me would be 8k axles with disc brakes.
    I'll check out those Axles. Are those the air suspension axles? Ohh Just googled.. Seems interesting. This maybe something I look at getting down the road, as for the first 3 years of ownership, it will mainly sit still.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Congrats on the new truck.
    Not that it makes any difference, but I don't think that sales guy knew what he was talking about on the fuel tank capacity of the F-450.
    According to the Ford spec guide all F250, F350 & F450 crew cab long box trucks (176" WB) have a 48 gal tank (see attached pic)

On the subject of axles and brakes, I agree with what FT4NOW and bertschb said, go with the MORryde IS/disc brakes or at least the 8k disc brake option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9839.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	30673
    Yeah, I am not 100% sure.. But yeah he did say that. I wasn't able to find anything on their website when I built one.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Scott View Post
    Great choice on the Ram, if you just ordered it it’ll be a 2021 and from my info on the Ram HD forum I’d be shocked if you see it before Christmas as FCA turnaround times are running around 2 months or longer.
    Thanks! This is actually a ram they had on the way. Its suppose to get to the ramp on the 20th. But I got a really good price on it. It was normally 84k for the options I wanted. I am getting it for about 10k off (72k + tax + licensing)

So I went that route as the 2020 and the 2021 are pretty much identical.

Thanks again for the input! Few more steps to go!

Left The Driveway Flash! BAB USA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull with both a Ram 3500 and a 4500 flatbed. The one thing I will never change from is I am now using Goosenecks from Anderson Hitches and LOVE them! No fuss no muss and much easier to line up, which means my wife and I do not get agitated with each other just before we hit the road, LOL!
    Here is a cool shot of the 4500 with diesel 22.5" wheels and graphics in MT Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tow rig sunset.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	30732

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. A buddy just ordered a new Ford F350 dually, and will not see it until March 2021. I will be looking for a similar truck next year to pull a new Solitude. I currently pull a TT with a 04 Dodge 2500 I bought new, and have loved. My mechanic tells me the newer Fords are better than Ram. If I had to buy today, I would buy Ford with the larger speed tranny. I expect Ram to upgrade the 6-speed AISIN in the next two years. I'm interested to see how the Ram air suspension works, forums show lots of problems.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash! BAB USA View Post
    I pull with both a Ram 3500 and a 4500 flatbed. The one thing I will never change from is I am now using Goosenecks from Anderson Hitches and LOVE them! No fuss no muss and much easier to line up, which means my wife and I do not get agitated with each other just before we hit the road, LOL!
    Here is a cool shot of the 4500 with diesel 22.5" wheels and graphics in MT Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tow rig sunset.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	30732
    I was looking at the 4500 as well, but it seemed at least at the time that the 3500 was a better buy. (no bed versus bed.. ) Your rig is awesome looking! I like the wrap on it... pretty sweet! Yeah the Gooseneck seems like a pretty sweet option. I have the gooseneck/5th wheel prep package, I haven't standardized on how I will pull it, but I do agree gooseneck seems to be a bit nicer, than the 5th wheel... Maybe you get more movement on the 5th wheel as they articulate a bit? (shrug).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Well done. A buddy just ordered a new Ford F350 dually, and will not see it until March 2021. I will be looking for a similar truck next year to pull a new Solitude. I currently pull a TT with a 04 Dodge 2500 I bought new, and have loved. My mechanic tells me the newer Fords are better than Ram. If I had to buy today, I would buy Ford with the larger speed tranny. I expect Ram to upgrade the 6-speed AISIN in the next two years. I'm interested to see how the Ram air suspension works, forums show lots of problems.
    IMO after driving both, the Ford totally had more top end power. I think its rated at 475hp, and 1050ft/lbs of torque. Dodge is 400/1000. So it is a bit less power than the Ford F-450. Working on the Cummins IMO will be easier because its a I6, also has less moving parts because its an I6 versus a V8. It also seems to be very common for the Cummin's to hit 500,000-750,000 miles pretty easily without having to rebuild much as long as you take care of it. My buddy has one that is at like 900,000 miles, and he just did routine maintenance.

I will be modifying things slightly to bring up the HP, and Torque figures (Exhaust/Intake/Tuning).

One of the major reasons I went with the 3500 versus the F-450 was the possible need of needing a CDL. I guess going from Nevada to Utah, you need a CDL, even if its private, and you're not pulling anything. Given that I don't really like the police(or most importantly getting pulled over by the police). Something I want to avoid. I haven't seen many reports of the 3500 having that issues, given its still got a 14k GVWR. No idea.

None the less, I am excited to get the truck, I may have to wait on modifications because NV requires smog checks and stuff, and I am not sure if opening up the exhaust, and getting a cold air intake on the RAM requires deleting any of the diesel short comings. meh? LOL :-)

EDIT: I do not wish harm on law enforcement officers, I just don't like dealing them them, or the triad that is formed against you if you try to fight it... nothing more...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arisythila, welcome to the chat and congrats on the new adventure in your life. I see you are moving to Chelan. Great area. Not sure what the vehicles taxes are in Nevada but hold onto your shorts when you go to register it in Wash. As for a license in Wash, there are no special license requirements for towing an RV of any size with any size truck. In the Chelan area there are also no yearly emissions tests that you have to do.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast