User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Is plumbing at all reliable on GD?

I just bought a 2017 Solitude, only to find 4 separate plumbing problems that really messed up my underbelly:

1. Leak in rear gray tank.
    2. Gate valve in front gray tank will not hold water (flows pretty freely when "closed")
    3. Leak in the junction between black tank and its gate valve
    4. Black tank gate valve will not fully close (slow leak)

This leaves me with the impression that GD is not so hot with their plumbing. This unit lived in Phoenix, so probably no issues from poor winterization.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, RV workmanship does need to improve, but it's not just GD that has problems. Regarding plumbing, our 2019 18RBE Imagine had a severely kinked line attached to the hot water heater. It was caught by my dealer and I during my pre-delivery inspection. I insisted on seeing behind the scenes to the furnace, the water pump, the water heater. Question: If you bought your three year old unit used, did you hire an inspector to really go over it? If not, I would do so now. These things are like large cabin cruiser boats, a lot can go wrong, even if they don't have engines.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notlostatall View Post
    I just bought a 2017 Solitude, only to find 4 separate plumbing problems that really messed up my underbelly:

2. Gate valve in front gray tank will not hold water (flows pretty freely when "closed")

This leaves me with the impression that GD is not so hot with their plumbing. This unit lived in Phoenix, so probably no issues from poor winterization.
    I don’t think it is fair to blame GD for all of your issues. You bought a 3 year old camper, who knows what kind of maintenance the previous owner did or didn't do. Not properly rinsing the tanks when dumping can cause 'stuff' to get stuck near or in the valves that will not allow them to close fully.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All of the pluming parts mentioned are universal across all RV manufacturers. They all go together the same way and in now way are GD specific. Most are easy to solve/replace. Seals wear out. Your unit is 4 to 5 years old depending on the manufacture date which is probably 2016. Did you turn on power, run the appliances (fridge water heater, furnace, run water and check everything out including the roof before purchase? Doug is correct get it fully inspected now. Did you buy from a dealer or private sale. There are numerous how to repair threads here and on GD's site. A quick fix is to get external twist on gate valves. Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input and advice. The previous owner was pretty active in maintaining the unit, but all of the problems I've found would only show up after dry camping for a few days, which the previous owners didn't do at all, so I can understand how problems might have accumulated and then "dumped" on me. Sorry for the pun,
    2017 Solitude, F-350 towing, Anderson Hitch
    Can you hand me the wrench? Thanks. 🤪

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 2017 Solitude, only to find 4 separate plumbing problems that really messed up my underbelly:...
    I've had no plumbing problems with the three Grand Design 5th wheels I've owned.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same exact problems we are having on our brand new 2020 solitude 5er. As well as many others that are directly link to grand design quality control. Not including any of the inserted items from other makers. We've had the same problems with valves and water that actually runs from the black tank into our grey tank. Along with our rubber roof peeling off from the front cap back because it was cut too short. The other thing you might want to check is your hot water out connection from the water heater. This happened to us on our last drive of about 35 miles, the plastic check valve that they use on the hot water heater broke off. The water line coming out of the check valve was coming straight out the back For about 3 and a 1/2 feet unsupported and just going down to the floor. I figure the trailer bouncing up-and-down the road with the waterline full of water eventually broke off the check valve. The problem was it took about 4 hours after the city water being hooked constantly running it flooded our entire pass through area before we noticed water running out underneath the trailer ruining all the installation again. This is the third major water leak we have had within a few months.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk