User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenerus View Post
    Also, is it ideal to have the trailer level or slightly nose high or low?
    It's always preferable to have your 5th wheel level while towing and with a minimum of 6" of bed rail clearance. 8" is better.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know chucking is an issue, by my hitch does not chuck. period. It also has no vertical pay either. Its the Reese R20 Titan. The down side is the tolerances are so tight you need to go through a few extra steps to hitch and unhitch. Example even thought the lock indicator is green, do a rock and pull test to let the king pin seat (raise legs a few inches off the ground and rock your TV with the break control er holding the breaks) , then the lock handle will lay totally flat. You will hear a definite click. You can not use a lube plate, but it is actually built in. It has built in rubber bushings in 4 quadrants. Best towing hitch I have ever had. Some folks are complainers about it being tight to lock/unlock. You just need to learn.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time we towed the new trailer was with the gear transferred from the 2600RB, so not an empty trailer. I have no idea what it tows like empty. On the drive home after camping the next day I moved more gear to the basement of the 303rls thus increasing the pin weight some. The chucking seemed to be a little better on that leg of the trip. Based on what folks are saying I'm beginning to think that one thing I need to look at is adding more weight to the front of the trailer and double checking that the trailer is level. I'm also going to take the hitch apart and double check all the torque settings and lubricate the hitch because I didn't install it and I don't know that it was properly torqued and lubed at the installer. No idea if that will help, but it's just good to make sure it's setup right. I'll also check all my tire pressures to rule them out as well.

Anything else I should try?
    I use the B&W Patriot slider (short bed). Level is best. I should not have been surprised, but I was, that the dealer didn't get it level. I was really pin high.
    If you are between bolt holes at level, go to the lower hole.
    I think this will help more than adding more weight to the pin.
    Our trailer only has underneath storage in the front, so all of our non-inside equipment goes on the pin.
    If you have front and rear, you might put heavier items in the front.
    But, if you are currently pin high, leveling will do more good than anything.
    Tire Pressure - Check (increase) before every trip.
    Last edited by humblerb; 11-11-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cenerus,
    my 2¢......

The best things I did were: 1) change to a MorRyde hitch; 2) put Rancho 9000 shocks on the truck and run them at the firmest setting when towing; 3) reduced RV tire pressure from max 120 psi to 95psi (to reduce trailer bouncing); 4: raised my truck's air bag pressure when loaded.

I guess there are no simple solutions. All this was a learning curve.

I think I've got almost all of the chucking out. And with the Ranchos set on firm I can tell the ride is a bit stiffer in the truck (but worth the chucking elimination).

I'm going to put on Sumo Springs on the RV after this trip. I want to get as much bouncing out of the RV as I can. I'd prefer shocks but MorRyde advised against it as I put their SRE4000 suspension on right after I purchased the rig.

I also have Air Lift air bags and have recently upped the air pressure to 45 lbs to get the truck from barley sitting on the uppermost overload spring. I think on bigger dips/rises I would engage those springs and get nothing but more bounce.

Like I said - just my 2¢

Hey folks,

I just brought my brand spanking new Reflection 303RLS home this weekend and I have a question about chucking. I'm towing it with a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed, Duramax SRW using a B&W companion hitch over the B&W turnover gooseball. This is my first 5th wheel, so I had never experienced chucking until this weekend. We drove the trailer up the freeway to a local camp ground to play with it and see if everything is working ok. When we were towing it on the freeway, or roads we got a lot of chucking. I was kind of surprised at how much the trailer was push/pulling almost constantly. No up/down movement, but lots of forward/backward while towing on the freeway. I thought the B&W companion was good at reducing chucking, so I'm concerned that I don't have something setup right with the hitch position or on the truck or the trailer pinbox. The pin box is the default Lippert that the 303RLS comes with.

Any advice about this? Is the chucking normal? Can anyone help me with dialing in the B&W?

Thanks
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks TravelDawg, that's a lot of custom work you've had done, really impressive. Was one thing the biggest improvement of all?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MorRyde hitch was my first change. The RotoFlex hitch GD use to use really beat me up. Next would be the air bags and then the shocks.

Today I traveled about 80 miles without inflating the air bags - I forgot. Once I inflated the to 40psi I had a better ride.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,

I just brought my brand spanking new Reflection 303RLS home this weekend and I have a question about chucking. I'm towing it with a 2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 long bed, Duramax SRW using a B&W companion hitch over the B&W turnover gooseball. This is my first 5th wheel, so I had never experienced chucking until this weekend. We drove the trailer up the freeway to a local camp ground to play with it and see if everything is working ok. When we were towing it on the freeway, or roads we got a lot of chucking. I was kind of surprised at how much the trailer was push/pulling almost constantly. No up/down movement, but lots of forward/backward while towing on the freeway. I thought the B&W companion was good at reducing chucking, so I'm concerned that I don't have something setup right with the hitch position or on the truck or the trailer pinbox. The pin box is the default Lippert that the 303RLS comes with.

Any advice about this? Is the chucking normal? Can anyone help me with dialing in the B&W?

Thanks
    We have the 303RLS as well with a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali. I have the MORryde Pin box and we have no chucking problems. We have a PullRite slider hitch using the GM factory mounting pucks. The MORryde pin box should take care of your chucking problem.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before spending any more money, I’d check level again after you load it up like you’re going to use it. You will notice a difference.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cenerus: I don’t have time to read thru all of your replies right now and I’m sorry if this has been beaten to death, BUT here’s my personal experience towing a 32’ SOB Fifth Wheel with a short bed F250 with a B&W slider hitch. We had an incredible amount of chucking, especially on concrete roads. We then discovered the magic of air bags (the rubber donuts that fit between the coils in the rear springs. Mine had a valve next to the license plate to permit raising or lowering the pressure. BOOM! No more chucking - at all. It was the best $250 (or so) I’ve spent in a long time. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,

Thanks
    HI Cenerus, I also have the B&W Companion over the gooseball on a Ram long bed with a 5th wheel of comparable size and weight. I am closer to my payload rating than you are. I have had no chucking on the freeways. I do get some on rough roads but that is to be expected. I dropped the B&W into the bed of the truck and hooked up and was almost level if not just slightly nose low with plenty of bed rail clearance. I am not sure why you would get the push me/ pull me feeling on the freeway as I have never experience that with this setup. I would check the amount of play in the jaws/king pin area after locking in. Good luck with the issue and keep us posted if you find a solution.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast