User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watch those awnings!

Going to a campground we have gone to many times before, the RV GPS routed us onto a ferry. I can only assume there were height restrictions with the Momentum which is why it took us this way.

The trip in was fine. However, on the return trip we were in a different lane that looked a little tighter. I told my lovely better half to "watch the awning" as I drive. I got onto the ferry and I thought all was clear. As I inched forward I hear CRACK. Well, there was a small metal box hanging off the upper side of the ferry that my front awning hit

I could not see it from my vantage since I was only watching the sides and wheels of the camper. The ferry captain came down and was like "wow, I've never seen that before. RVs come through here all the time". I was trying to remain calm, but I said yea, I was fine except for that big metal pull box you have hanging off the top there that you can't see. I was able to back off a little and get enough clearance to go around it. Of course the captain says next time to go in the middle lane since there's more room. ZERO signs stating that when you pull up to the ferry.

Lesson learned here is to always have your ground person get out of the vehicle. This is a rule we have which I am not sure why we didn't follow it this time. Good news is the arms are cheap to replace. Relatively. $500 and looks simple to replace. I am just happy I didn't put a hole in the side of the camper which is much more difficult to fix. My wife felt terrible about the whole thing. By the time we got home I calmed down and said it's OK. It was both of our faults and just happy it was the awning and not something worse.

Here are some pictures on the way in.

The box that the awning caught.

2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of stuff to watch. They should at least paint the edge with the red like all the other "trim" for better visibility.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ RoyBell
    Sorry to hear - how bad was the damage - any pictures?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    @ RoyBell
    Sorry to hear - how bad was the damage - any pictures?
    It's hard to see, but it bent the tops of the brackets and broke the plastic off. I am hoping the fabric will easily be pulled back.

2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clipped a basketball hoop a couple of weeks ago. Anyone else do that ?
    Totally missed seeing it but then it should not have been sticking that far into the street. Only put a small mark on the awning frame thankfully.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    It's hard to see, but it bent the tops of the brackets and broke the plastic off. I am hoping the fabric will easily be pulled back.

Ouch. It appear the backing channel where it attaches to the trailer is undamaged. That's a good thing. Fabric may be tough - get some wide clamps so you can get a good even grip on it. There also may be a retaining screw on the end .

Good luck and happy travels.

BTW what camp ground were you heading too. Looks like a beautiful area.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Ouch. It appear the backing channel where it attaches to the trailer is undamaged. That's a good thing. Fabric may be tough - get some wide clamps so you can get a good even grip on it. There also may be a retaining screw on the end .

Good luck and happy travels.

BTW what camp ground were you heading too. Looks like a beautiful area.

Thanks
    Keith
    Thank you. We were headed to Devils Lake State Park in Baraboo Wisconsin. We head there at fall time every year. I'll share some photos once I pull them from my camera.

Replacement was a breeze! $550 for the awning. It came in 2 days. 2 hours time for me and one of my workers. All back together and like new. Fabric was fine. Undid the 2 screws holding it to the trim. Slid it back to place and put the screws back in.

2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like it was the middle lane

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The middle lane is actually under the bridge. Apparently the lane I should had been in. A sign stating this when entering the drive lanes would be nice.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.