User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a 3000+ miles round trip I do about a 6 to 7 hrs a day drive leaving early in the morning I love to drive so it's not hard.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Also teach the better half to drive. I still haven't done that .
    DW doesn't like to drive the F450, let alone pull the trailer. And forget about her parking the 5th wheel, won't even try. But, she is ok with driving straight down the highway, so long as we pull out of a big area that doesn't require a lot of maneuvering nor traffic; and we land in similar conditions, like a truck stop or rest area.

As we age we lose stamina unless we work at it. At 22 I drove 36 hours straight, but I just got my medicare card and I am finding that around 3pm a nap would be nice, not good when you are driving. So if there is an appropriate stretch of road DW gets to drive, I get my 30 minute power nap and then I am good to go.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 hours max pulling here or 350 miles whichever comes first and in part it depends upon local speeds laws and road conditions and destination. While in Wyoming and Montana in September speed limits of 80mph were common and I would tow at 68-70 if the roads were good and traffic allowed.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General rule
    300-325 miles per day
    6 hours max
    Iron Rule
    off the road no later than 3 p.m.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question is very subjective. I have 3 dogs and 2 pre-teen kids. They dictate pit stops. I don't drive fast, put it on cruise, and can go all day into evening and night.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Am new to Rving. Know a couple of folks who do it and they both say about six hours of towing is their limit per day. Additionally, they say they would prefer to stay at least two days when they do stop. This certainly makes cross country travel take a while.

Have yet to take a trip that required more than this, but would like to take extended trip out west, next spring.

What is a reasonable number of days for a 4,500 mile round trip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    As others have said, it depends on many factors. I pull a Momentum 351M. That's plenty of trailer to move down the road. I make it clear to my wife (and it comforts her) that 1)I don't drive over 65mph, 2)If we get tired we stop and if that means staying the night somewhere before our destination, then it's just part of the adventure. Safety is my number one priority. I believe the number of hours you drive is inconsequential. As a former Smith System driver's trainer (10 years) I have learned that the important thing is to know your limits. Drive all night if you're up for it, but stop if you're fatigued.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    know your limits..... .
    aka, "a man's got to know his limitations.' ~ Dirty Harry ...lol

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    As others have said, it depends on many factors. I pull a Momentum 351M. That's plenty of trailer to move down the road. I make it clear to my wife (and it comforts her) that 1)I don't drive over 65mph, 2)If we get tired we stop and if that means staying the night somewhere before our destination, then it's just part of the adventure. Safety is my number one priority. I believe the number of hours you drive is inconsequential. As a former Smith System driver's trainer (10 years) I have learned that the important thing is to know your limits. Drive all night if you're up for it, but stop if you're fatigued.
    Very well said, thanks
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    Am new to Rving. Know a couple of folks who do it and they both say about six hours of towing is their limit per day. Additionally, they say they would prefer to stay at least two days when they do stop. This certainly makes cross country travel take a while.

Have yet to take a trip that required more than this, but would like to take extended trip out west, next spring.

What is a reasonable number of days for a 4,500 mile round trip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My dog and I both are done in and ready to get out at 6 to 7 hours. It's about 300 miles or a tank of gas with rest stops and a quick lunch break. It also gives time to set up and have a decent dinner at the next destination. I also try to plan stops so that I have at least two nights between travel days. The stops may be places with little interest nearby but I can usually hit a state or county park with trails and a river or lake. I'm retired and in no hurry to do much besides see the country.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-14-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally depends on how comfortable you are, I've gone cross country the last three years and do 1000 mile days with no issues, I try to maximize daylight hours which helps but I'm used to driving from work so it doesn't faze me but you should only go as far as you feel comfortable with, I wouldn't hold yourself to any number, rainy days might make you more tired then bright sunny days, traveling through boring states might not get the adrenaline going like going through some cool Western States, just go by feel not a clock, never understood stopping with plenty of daylight and feeling great just because of an artificial number, don't push past tired just stop when you think you've had enough!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast