User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a document on the Goodyear site about storing tires. Here is a link to the entire post https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx. Below is the section for storage on the vehicle.

Storing your vehicle without removing the tires

Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
    Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
    Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
    Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
    Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as “flat-spotting” from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
    Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service

Should also mention that not specifically in this section but the do recommend the tires be covered.
    Last edited by Mrbaker; 11-11-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add covers
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaker View Post
    Just curious if anyone actually raised their trailers to remove the majority of the weight off the tires for long term storage. We did this for aircraft in the Air Force and I have read that some people do it for trailers.
    Is this an effective action to protect your tires and if so should you lift the tires completely or just remove the majority of the weight? Do you block under the axles or the frame?

Any feedback is appreciated.
    I have never raised my RV to get the tires off the ground, but I do ensure they are covered when in storage to protect from the SUN and also ensure they are rested on large wooden boards, off the ground. That works just fine and protects the tires.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    When we leave for our long travels I put 1/4" plexiglass pad under the tires. That way there is no moisture bearing surface the tires are sitting on. I've read many times that it is important to keep them off wet/damp surfaces. Boards won't work, they retain moisture.

I also slightly overinflated them (just to the max and maybe 5 lbs more). I know new tires aren't suppose to flat spot, but I figure an ounce of prevention doesn't hurt.

If I were to raise them to get most of the weight off them I would still have some type of plastic pad under them but probably wouldn't worry about the pressure.
    I like the idea of storing on the plexiglass. I did coat some boards with Flex Seal to keep the boards from soaking up moisture. Just waiting to see if it works. Not sure if there is any reaction between the tires and the flex seal but the boards are a lot easier to clean off before putting away when leaving a campsite.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wonder why the RV dealerships never do any moving, covering or placing wood or what ever under the tires and seem to get away with it?? Unless they move there inventory every three months, which in the off months of the year here in SD, the new and used rv's never move for 6 or more months. hummm

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'll catch flak from this but I use the hydraulic leveling jacks to lift the trailer off the wheels for the winter. They don't have to go all the way up. And I can verify that my airplane (T210...for sale!) gets flat spots when left sitting for any length of time.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a newbie but two possibilities come to mind.......

1) These storage ramps might keep the tire rounded and off any unpleasant surface..... https://smile.amazon.com/BISupply-Ti...537582&sr=8-29

or 2) These could make jacking quick and easy..... https://smile.amazon.com/TrailerLegs...s%2C193&sr=8-3

Any thoughts from you more experienced folks?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the camp of not lifting the RV to store. What I do worry about is the surface that I store on. When I had the 5er I store at a storage lot that was gravel and not well-drained so I used some cement pavers under the tires to keep the tires out of the water. When I had classic cars I would jack them up every 30 days and rotate the tires a half turn and I suppose if you had auto-level you could use it do the same thing. What I would avoid is storing on asphalt since asphalt is oiled based long term storage could affect the tires. If you do use your jack to store on be sure to wipe them down before retracting to protect the seals.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tractor Supply Stall Mats

I bought a Stall Mat (4 ft X 3 ft) and split it in half to make two 4 ft X 1.5 ft runners to park my Reflection 295RL on.
    It fits perfectly under both tires.
    It keeps the tires off the ground (crush & run) all the time when parked at home.
    I did the same thing for my dual axle boat trailer too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12