User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Momentum 381M Picked up Friday 11-6-2020

The control says 3 zones but unless there is an automatic duct damper I am confused how the system works. The reason for the post is the bedroom is 78 degrees and the main living is 52. I even fully taped off the vent in the bedroom and in the bathroom (they blow hard) thinking the main living would then blow hard as well but this is not the case. I do live in the mountains of Utah and it is cold and I know heat rises but that's a huge amount of discrepancy of heat in my opinion. I have read about kinked lines but can't seem to find a schematic on where everything is. The manual is more of a general manual for many different models. Just wondering if this is the norm or should I be tracing the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Utah View Post
    The control says 3 zones but unless there is an automatic duct damper I am confused how the system works. The reason for the post is the bedroom is 78 degrees and the main living is 52. I even fully taped off the vent in the bedroom and in the bathroom (they blow hard) thinking the main living would then blow hard as well but this is not the case. I do live in the mountains of Utah and it is cold and I know heat rises but that's a huge amount of discrepancy of heat in my opinion. I have read about kinked lines but can't seem to find a schematic on where everything is. The manual is more of a general manual for many different models. Just wondering if this is the norm or should I be tracing the issue.

Thanks in advance,
    Besides kinked lines, it's not unusual that the ducting has fallen off the vents. There are no schematics. Or, if there are, GD doesn't give them out. You're really on your own to trace the ductwork and see that everything is connected properly.

But, yes, there could be a discrepancy between areas inside. We have a fairly small 5th wheel (30 foot), and the temperature difference from one end (living room) to the "upper" area (bedroom) is can be 5-10 degrees. Not as much as you're seeing, but there is a difference.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance,
    Sounds like you're talking about the furnace, not the AC's? The AC's blow in from the roof, the furnace blows in at the floor. The duct work for the furnace on your unit is somewhat accessible, go into the passthru storage area in the front, opposite the side that has you water connections on it. The wall in there towards the back is a false wall, you can unscrew it and get to duct work and electrical stuff. You might want to check there to see if everything is tight.

That said, when I run the furnace on my 351M, like you, the bedroom gets really hot. The solution I've come up with is I run the AC at the same time on fan only to distribute the heat out of there and into the roof ducting. If you have a heat pump AC unit and run that one as well, you can really help move the heat around. Problem is, heat rises, and the bedroom is the high point, coupled with WAY too many vents in the bedroom, make for a hot area with the furnace running. You'll get it, just try to move the heat around more, close the bedroom door when you're sleeping, keep the AC's running and you should be able to get something workable. I just turn the heat way down when we're in bed. Most of the time, we can get by with just the heat pump, so, I usually only need the furnace sporadically.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance,
    If the venting is intact; try running the kitchen roof vent with the vent hood closed. It works like a ceiling fan. Air circulation is the ticket. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I got into the ducting and had 2 observations.... Unless you are Ant Man you are not getting very far to check out ducting. Why doesn't the Kitchen blow as hard as the Bedroom? The bedroom flex duct is kinda hard from the air blowing into it and I have the vents taped off, I would assume the air would go to the Kitchen duct. Has anybody switch the duct that goes to the bedroom and spliced it into the one that goes to the kitchen? You have to couple it because unless there is a trap door I am not seeing there is no way to access the Kitchen island duct.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so I got into the ducting and had 2 observations.... Unless you are Ant Man you are not getting very far to check out ducting. Why doesn't the Kitchen blow as hard as the Bedroom? The bedroom flex duct is kinda hard from the air blowing into it and I have the vents taped off, I would assume the air would go to the Kitchen duct. Has anybody switch the duct that goes to the bedroom and spliced it into the one that goes to the kitchen? You have to couple it because unless there is a trap door I am not seeing there is no way to access the Kitchen island duct.
    I was wondering the same thing. We have a new 2021 381m and the garage temperature is about 15-20 colder than the bedroom. I was wondering if you can put a “T” fitting from the bedroom ducting and introduce it to either the living room ducting or the garage to help redirect some air flow. I found some HVAC “T” fittings at Home Depot for $13. I might try it this weekend.
    2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
    2021 Momentum 381m
    2019 Can Am Maverick X3 Max Xrs

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDad18 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. We have a new 2021 381m and the garage temperature is about 15-20 colder than the bedroom. I was wondering if you can put a “T” fitting from the bedroom ducting and introduce it to either the living room ducting or the garage to help redirect some air flow. I found some HVAC “T” fittings at Home Depot for $13. I might try it this weekend.
    Hopefully the venting junction is a "Y" , not a T. A "T" junction will not help the air flow very much. The air flow needs to be more natural, like a "Y", so the air flow more freely.

This little kink does not help either.

Corrected flow.

Kinked near furnace plenum.

I corrected the flow here by moving at the plenum fitting.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance,
    We have the opposite problem, but still a big problem, with the gas heater on, it blows hot air from the floor vents. Our 2020 front living room 40' 5th wheel blows nothing through the bedroom floor vent. So unless we are hooked up to power we get no heat (or air movement through the vents) in the back half of the rig. We had the dealer look into it, and the said everything is hooked up and they are all that way. And Grand design has no fix for it. So the front gets to about 90 so the rear can stay around 73 when we're only on 12V. We have to run portable electric heaters when plugged in. Its a shame, this thing cost as much as a house in many states and there are major problems like this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk