User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Mystery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Mystery

So I parked my rig 2 weeks ago at storage lot and removed battery. Yesterday I went to put cover on her and had to open living room slides access a few things. I connected to truck and slides opened fine. When I went to close them they stopped half way and I lost all power inside. I checked all fuses and breakers and they were all ok. I then went back home and returned with battery and hooked it up. Power back and slides back in. I assumed that being connected to the truck it would power things with truck battery. Does the converter retain some power after the battery is disconnected? Kind of baffled as to why I had power to open slide and then nothing until I hooked battery back up. I appreciate any thoughts on what happened. Thanks.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you lost power FROM the truck. Perhaps you blew a fuse on the truck side?
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctguy1300 View Post
    So I parked my rig 2 weeks ago at storage lot and removed battery. Yesterday I went to put cover on her and had to open living room slides access a few things. I connected to truck and slides opened fine. When I went to close them they stopped half way and I lost all power inside. I checked all fuses and breakers and they were all ok. I then went back home and returned with battery and hooked it up. Power back and slides back in. I assumed that being connected to the truck it would power things with truck battery. Does the converter retain some power after the battery is disconnected? Kind of baffled as to why I had power to open slide and then nothing until I hooked battery back up. I appreciate any thoughts on what happened. Thanks.
    The truck power may only be on for a few minutes after you turn off the ignition. My Tundra was like that, only power for a few minutes and then you would need to turn on the ignition. My RAM seems to have power all of the time. Likely your truck just shut off the battery power to the trailer connector as you were pulling in the slides.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had our old Ford we ran into an issue when the dealer left the battery on after service. The truck had no power after a second of trying to lift the landing gear. Luckily the service guy at the dealer saw us scratching our heads and came out with this BIG flat blade fuse...seem to recall it was 30 amp and replaced it. Thinking it was under the dash someplace but Gary might recall. That big fuse did the trick. We would have never figured that out without researching.

We need to find out if our GMC has the same type of fuse hiding someplace.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when i did this type of stuff to operate slides with truck battery, when trailer battery was removed. I would utilize Jumper cables from the truck battery to the trailer + and - terminals. Direct connection with battery voltage and enough amperage getting to the trailer. Using the trailer connector at the back of the truck seems not reliable considering vehicle manufactures.
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot tell from your picture, but if you have a ford, mine is a 2017 F-450, there's only power to the trailer plug when the key is on or the truck is running. It will stay on for the time duration I have set for the lighting to be on after the key is off, normally about 1-1/2 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your feedback. Truck was running at the time, so I can only assume that not enough amperage to run the slides in. I will try direct connect with jumper cables in the future as FOWLERGK suggested. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you own a Solitude with hydraulic slides.

You need more power than what you get through the umbilical cord.

Jumper cables from your truck battery to the leads will work fine.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    The truck power may only be on for a few minutes after you turn off the ignition. My Tundra was like that, only power for a few minutes and then you would need to turn on the ignition. My RAM seems to have power all of the time. Likely your truck just shut off the battery power to the trailer connector as you were pulling in the slides. Rob
    My 2006 F250 was the same way. I took out the relay and soldered jumper wires across the contacts so my 12 RV feed is always hot. This will charge the truck from the RV if necessary. We usually spend the night before a vacation in a Meijer or Walmart parking lot near our destination. In the summer it makes for hot sleeping so I installed a 12 volt 36 inch fan over the bed. It draws only 1 amp. Between the 4-total batteries (two RV - Two truck), The fan and fridge (gas) can run all night and the truck still starts normally in the morning. Jumper that relay, just be sure to use #10 wire...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a gizmo my wife bought me called a Jump Box. It is what the sales lady carried around at the dealership to operate the slides and lights on the campers we looked at so they didn't have to leave batteries in the campers. I have used it numerous times to jump start other vehicles, a guy's boat, even my F250 that had one bad battery. I think it was like $125. It has come in handy.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast