User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Frank! Have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas as well!
    Gary & Vickie
    2021 Momentum 320G
    2019 Ford F-450 Turbo Diesel Lariat

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    We have an extended warranty, now in our third year. Have never used it. Between the dealer, the Grand Design warranties and my abilities, we have not needed to touch it. I think you are making a wise choice to avoid the cost. One thing I do have that I really love is the FMCA roadside assistance program, one of the few that covers mobile tech services. Best wishes and have a blessed Thanksgiving. Frank.
    Exactly why we canceled our extended warranties. After a year, we figured my husband was handling all the minor fixes, and we have a good RV repair shop that's part of our storage facility for the big stuff.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They pay the dealer 50% of that as commission. Then have to pay staff, location and other expenses to stay open. How many claims do you think they pay?

They are profit drivers. That is why when you buy a new car you're flooded with a million calls to extend the warranty. They are pure profit drivers. Everyone wants to sell you an extended warranty on everything you buy. Why do they do that? $$$$$.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FMCA roadside assistance program

Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    We have an extended warranty, now in our third year. Have never used it. Between the dealer, the Grand Design warranties and my abilities, we have not needed to touch it. I think you are making a wise choice to avoid the cost. One thing I do have that I really love is the FMCA roadside assistance program, one of the few that covers mobile tech services. Best wishes and have a blessed Thanksgiving. Frank.

Could you go into some detail on your FMCA Roadside Assistance Program I'm not familiar with it and my wife and are interested?
    Thanks.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extended warranties depends on the overall cost too. Ie. Some places give you discounts off the $5000+ package when you r with Sams club, AAA and Costco. We got 45% off so that the cost for the extended warranty for 7 years, The exterior and interior protectant, tires, etc was around $2,500 for us. So we went with it. But we already had a killer price on the trailer anyway in comparison to other dealers out west.

However, in general they are not worth it at the cost they promote it at.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food for thought with our 2 cents... Our Solitude 5er weighs less than your 5er. Three+ years ago our truck broke down 180 miles from home while trying to get there. We have AAA and Good Sam. What we found is that it takes a very special (read that: 'BIG') tow truck to be able to get a big 5er off the freeway. We had to have one company for the pickup and another for the Solitude. The trip was 4 miles down the freeway and another 4 miles back (we had just passed the exit). Most towing places charge over 4 or 5 miles. To get both parts to the truck stop at the exit cost over $100 with fees. We had to have it towed one other time in Middletown, Ohio. I called EVERY towing service there and found only one who even had a truck that could do it, but it was up in Michigan heading south. We had to wait hours to have our Solitude towed.

The moral of this story is to have viable options for towing just in case it becomes necessary. Having only a standard towing option will not get it done!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Good Sam plan for six years. It cost $1400 with a $500 deductible. I figure I can handle the small out of warranty stuff and bought this to cover major things. At $233/yr I figure it's pretty cheap peace of mind. Plus the local RV repair shop I use accepts it and recommends it. I hope I never have to find out but some people have reported that Good Sam covered things that were still under warranty when it was not practical to get the RV to an authorized warranty service shop.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    I bought the Good Sam plan for six years. It cost $1400 with a $500 deductible. I figure I can handle the small out of warranty stuff and bought this to cover major things. At $233/yr I figure it's pretty cheap peace of mind. Plus the local RV repair shop I use accepts it and recommends it. I hope I never have to find out but some people have reported that Good Sam covered things that were still under warranty when it was not practical to get the RV to an authorized warranty service shop.
    I consider it insurance really. I'll admit, after mixed successes with prior extended warranties on vehicles, we opted for an extended warranty on our 2020 Ram 3500 - mostly because that will probably be the last truck I buy based upon my age and the electronics are so expensive, that can make an extended warranty of value with one visit. Of course, it is easier to find a repair location for a vehicle. Extended warranty doesn't do you as much good if no dealership will honor it so it's a different ball game with an RV.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Could you go into some detail on your FMCA Roadside Assistance Program I'm not familiar with it and my wife and are interested?
    Thanks.
    Sorry, for some reason this got delivered to my junk mail file. I just saw your question when I was cleaning out that file. Take a look at the comparison chart in this link. I hope this helps.

https://www.fmca.com/index.php/fmca-...ssistance.html
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My wife recently found a very good description of extended service plans (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    Rob nailed it. Same here.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast