User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Input on Extended Warranty

We do our PDI tomorrow on our new Momentum 320G. The dealer asked us and presented an extended warranty (options) to us. Very few times I opt for an extended warranty but this being a big ticket item and we will be on the road at least 5-6 months every year, I wanted to get some input from more experienced folks.
    Four different extended warranty options (varying cost).
    All provide a full 7 year warranty.

Glamping covers:
    *Camper Service Contract. $5,592. 100% coverage of labor and parts. Towing, Rental, Roadside Assistance, etc. Comprehensive mechanicaland electrical breakdown coverage.
    *Environmental Protection. Creates a barrier against stains, fading, loss of gloss, chalking, acid rain,tree sap, rust and bird droppings. It a a "coating" applied to the exterior to help preserve the gel coat.
    *Tire Protection. Protection from all road hazards. Repair/replace all tires, wheels and charges associated with repair/replacement.
    *Roadside Assistance. Tech is dispatched to your location if needed. Everything covered towing, rental, lockout, tire changes and trip interruptin. Provided by Allstate.

Obviously as you drop from the Glamping to Camping, one of the covered options falls off as does the cost.
    Camping Option, $4,825, does not include the Tire Protection.
    Roughing it, $3948, drops the Tire Protection and the Roadside Assistance.
    Custom, $2,852, drops everything but the Camper Service contract.

We do already have AAA for our cars and a camper. We also upgraded our tires as an option when we ordered our Momentum. We have Cooper H- Rated Tires installed.
    The Exterior Protection Warranty is from Ultimar and the rest of the Warranty is covered by Adventurer Club.

Apprecitate an input, opinions, and info pertaining to extended warranties, if they are a good idea as well as what to have an extended warranty on.

Thank You Much!
    Gary & Vickie
    2021 Momentum 320G
    2019 Ford F-450 Turbo Diesel Lariat

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save that money and put it aside in the bank if you need to pay for repairs after the warranty period. If you are handy, and being a sub vet, I venture to say you are, these things are very easy to work on. The only exception is if you need to remove the slide which is NOT normal.

Extended warranties are like insurance policies, some will use them, most will not, they are profit generation for the company.

Some have fine print, like you must get annual inspections at that dealer...and they arent free inspections.

Being on the road for half the year also makes getting warranty work difficult as dealers usually have a back log and it is not uncommon for rigs to sit there for weeks. Some dealer will work with you if you explain you are on the road or live in it fulltime, but the majority dont care.

Look into roadside assistance with your insurance company. We use GEICO and they will tow the RV or truck if something happens.

I've heard people have been unsuccessful getting anywhere with the tire protection, maybe a few cases where it was helpful, but mostly a waste of money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, put your money into an RV account and use it down the road as needed. My truck has roadside assistance for basic stuff and extends to
    TV. Many years ago I had road side coverage for our motor home when we did a 8k mile USA summer trip. Best $100 bucks we spent on trip.
    Had to be towed 30 miles back to Missoula MT......never got a bill.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree, save that money

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X4. I agree with others. I did not purchase any extended warranties. We have roadside assistance with Progressive who insures your TV and TT. I did purchase roadside assistance through Sam's club because it was inexpensive and they have unlimited distance towing. We have had AAA road side assistance for over 30 years but will not be renewing.

Use the money to buy spare parts for your appliances when they go out of warranty and you should be good.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife recently found a very good description of extended service plans (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. I will pass on them and stick with the normal GD warranty and save money for a "rainy day" if needed!
    Appreciate the info!
    Gary & Vickie
    2021 Momentum 320G
    2019 Ford F-450 Turbo Diesel Lariat

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubVet#580 View Post
    Thank you all. I will pass on them and stick with the normal GD warranty and save money for a "rainy day" if needed! Appreciate the info!
    Good decision!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins.
    What a great description. I've gotten them on a couple of vehicles and as the warranty was about to expire, I felt like I needed to draw to an inside straight. Wife and I felt like we hit the jackpot on our 2001 Suburban when the AC compressor went with 2K left on the warranty which cost much more than the warranty - we were actually celebrating that one. House is ahead on the other.

So looking at the 'free' lifetime warranty offered by one GD dealership, I'm going to guess that there is a cost to the RV built in and that lowest price is not their specialty.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubVet#580 View Post
    Thank you all. I will pass on them and stick with the normal GD warranty and save money for a "rainy day" if needed!
    Appreciate the info!
    We have an extended warranty, now in our third year. Have never used it. Between the dealer, the Grand Design warranties and my abilities, we have not needed to touch it. I think you are making a wise choice to avoid the cost. One thing I do have that I really love is the FMCA roadside assistance program, one of the few that covers mobile tech services. Best wishes and have a blessed Thanksgiving. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast