User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bronze bushings on springs shot on 2018 310 GK

When I first got my 2018 310gk in June of 2017 I inspected all of the running gear with a fine tooth comb. First I noticed that the fixed ends of the leaf springs didn't have wet bolts, so I removed the factory bolts and installed wet bolts in the fixed end spring locations. The first spring I took apart I wanted to make sure it had bronze bushings in the spring ends without the wet bolts. The fixed end spring bushing was indeed bronze, but due to the spring eye not being round, the bushing was broken. I contacted Grand Design customer service and they told me they would send me a replacement bushing. I told them it needs a replacement spring, because a spring eye that is out of round will cause premature bushing failure.

Fast forward until now, the trailer probably has around 5000 miles on it. I grease all of the wet bolts on every trip. On my last trip out over the summer I noticed that the springs on the drivers side of the trailer were looking flat with a slightly reversed arch. I ordered 4 replacement springs on line, replaced the nylon bushings with bronze bushings and installed the springs this afternoon. Several of the bronze bushings on the original springs were worn completely through! The bushing on the right rear spring that was bad when I first checked the trailer over was shot, cracked and worn through. Now, I didn't have much luck getting a higher quality spring to replace the oems with, because there just weren't a lot of choices out there for a good heavy duty replacement spring, so I ended up with 3500 lb Libra springs from amazon. I installed new bronze bushings in all of the new springs and installed them all today. Some of the spring eyes on the new springs aren't very round either. When I took apart the oem springs, all of my wet bolts had a good coating of grease on them, but there was still excessive wear. In my opinion, with spring eyes that aren't round, the bushings will not last, and maybe the nylon bushings would last better. For those of you out there that do your own maintenance, I would suggest inspecting your spring bushings yearly and replacing them as necessary.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, they're a regular wear item even with wet bolts and religious greasing. The rolled and unhoned eyes on trailer springs are ridiculous! However, there's no stock options till getting into 2" width and above. I'm having a set of custom springs made to solve the issue for me.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yep, they're a regular wear item even with wet bolts and religious greasing. The rolled and unhoned eyes on trailer springs are ridiculous! However, there's no stock options till getting into 2" width and above. I'm having a set of custom springs made to solve the issue for me.
    Who are you having build the custom springs and how many leaves, weight capacity are you having them made for.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Who are you having build the custom springs and how many leaves, weight capacity are you having them made for.
    Atlas in Kansas. They've been doing custom springs for my restorations/hot rods and even a couple of tractors for a long time. Going 7-leaf but mixed capacity because my road side is 810# heavier on the axles than curbside. Bolted clamps and probably paint with teflon infused product unless they can source replaceable pads as my secondary goal is reducing friction.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started repurposing my oem Solitude springs to my old Alumiscape 5er today because the old trailer needs some heavier springs. I started by removing all of the bronze bushings from the oem Solitude springs. They were all shot, cracked and worn through. All of the bolts were wet with grease, but the bushings were all destroyed. I started removing the springs on the old trailer and keep in mind that I replaced these springs two years ago with new springs, bronze bushings, heavy duty mor ryde shackles and wet bolts. These bushings were also destroyed. I try to grease my wet bolts on every trip, and I am seriously doubtful that the bronze bushings are any better than the plastic bushings.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started repurposing my oem Solitude springs to my old Alumiscape 5er today because the old trailer needs some heavier springs. I started by removing all of the bronze bushings from the oem Solitude springs. They were all shot, cracked and worn through. All of the bolts were wet with grease, but the bushings were all destroyed. I started removing the springs on the old trailer and keep in mind that I replaced these springs two years ago with new springs, bronze bushings, heavy duty mor ryde shackles and wet bolts. These bushings were also destroyed. I try to grease my wet bolts on every trip, and I am seriously doubtful that the bronze bushings are any better than the plastic bushings.
    They're only better in the sense they give more time before the spring eyes are hogged out by the bolts. Heavier wall would help, but no-one is changing a long standing industry standard. As a mechanic, you obvious know leafs on vehicles are hung with honed eyes with rubber or urethane bushings and steel sleeves for the hanger bolts and none are greaseable fron the factory and last many, many more miles...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I started by removing all of the bronze bushings from the oem Solitude springs. ...
    When I upgraded to heavy duty shackles and wet bolts on my 2018 310GK, I found that a number of the bushings were damaged or shot. Had a lot of trouble getting some of the bushings out. Almost like they were welded to the spring eyes. Finally resorted to using a burring tool in my drill. That worked pretty well, but it basically destroyed the burring tool.

How do you remove bushings? I had no luck using a hammer/chisel/punch.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    ..... How do you remove bushings? I had no luck using a hammer/chisel/punch.

-Steve
    I use a C clamp and sockets. One socket on the "out" side large enough for the bushing to slide inside of. A smaller socket on the "in" side to push out the bushing, or (my preferred method but requires a lathe) is to turn a stepped mandrel to fit inside the bushing and a square shoulder to press against the bushing (but be sure it is smaller than the spring eye - been there ). A lot of time I have to tension up the C clamp and then hit it with a hammer to shock the busing and start it moving.

The other thing I have done (if above does not work) is to take a hacksaw, insert the blade through the center of the bushing and cut most of the way through the bushing. Warning, be careful not to cut into the spring, you will make a stress riser.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    When I upgraded to heavy duty shackles and wet bolts on my 2018 310GK, I found that a number of the bushings were damaged or shot. Had a lot of trouble getting some of the bushings out. Almost like they were welded to the spring eyes. Finally resorted to using a burring tool in my drill. That worked pretty well, but it basically destroyed the burring tool.

How do you remove bushings? I had no luck using a hammer/chisel/punch.

-Steve
    Same premise as @CoChris but with a front end master service kit (a.k.a., ball joint press and driver kit). If you have to cut a bronze bushing out of a 1.75" trailer spring, I want video! Your cut line should align to where the joint is from the rollover forming the eye.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I use a C clamp and sockets. One socket on the "out" side large enough for the bushing to slide inside of. A smaller socket on the "in" side to push out the bushing, or (my preferred method but requires a lathe) is to turn a stepped mandrel to fit inside the bushing and a square shoulder to press against the bushing (but be sure it is smaller than the spring eye - been there ). A lot of time I have to tension up the C clamp and then hit it with a hammer to shock the busing and start it moving.

The other thing I have done (if above does not work) is to take a hacksaw, insert the blade through the center of the bushing and cut most of the way through the bushing. Warning, be careful not to cut into the spring, you will make a stress riser.

Chris
    I made a mandrel on a lathe and it works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast