User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21BHE No 12V power

My unit is parked w/o shore power and I have lost 12V power. I measure power at the battery disconnect switch but nothing at the fuse box. Is there anything wired between these two locations? Wondering if I need to pull out the fuse box to check the wire coming into it (presumably from the disconnect switch)?
    All fuses look good
    Battery checked out fine - powers the tongue jack fine

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by langemike View Post
    My unit is parked w/o shore power and I have lost 12V power. I measure power at the battery disconnect switch but nothing at the fuse box. Is there anything wired between these two locations? Wondering if I need to pull out the fuse box to check the wire coming into it (presumably from the disconnect switch)? All fuses look good Battery checked out fine - powers the tongue jack fine
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

I don't know your trailer at all, but a lot of GD trailers leave things like leveling systems (your jack), alarms, brakes, and more connected to power even when the battery "disconnect" switch is turned off. Just in case you're wondering why the jack works while other things don't.

You've found power at that "disconnect" switch but have you determined that it's getting PAST that switch? Does power come and go as it should from the load side of the switch when you operate it with the key? We don't often hear about failures of the switch but its (poor) design allows it to be disconnected when it looks like it should be connected.

Between the switch and the fuse panel you should find the converter, which delivers 12V and 120V power (when connected to shore power) to the trailer's systems. It's a gray steel box with cooling slots in it and wires connected to it. The converter does typically have a fuse or reset button on it; never had to deal with it myself so I can't provide much more detail. Are the connections into and out of it good?

After that you have the connections to the panel itself, which are not always well-installed.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 11-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I’m checking the converter next - I think it’s behind the fuse box. I had checked both sides of the disconnect switch- it was working properly.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter has 2 fuses on it to protect it in case the battery is connected wrong. These could have blown.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE