User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notlostatall View Post
    How do you tell what type of roof you have (if it's not obvious from the first question). Thanks!
    Whoa everybody, lets take a trip down memory lane to get some background info because there is a lot of confusing information out there. BITD EPDM roofs were the norm, they are a rubber based roof. As such they were highly susceptible to deterioration from petroleum based products. Thus comes the adage that you must use Dicor Lap Sealant on roofs. Around 2015-2017 Alpha company (and others) introduced the TPO roof, I don't know the science, but I think more vinyl and less rubber... hopefully one of the engineers on the forum will shoot me down and clarify. But, with the introduction of the TPO rood the Dicor Lap Sealant isn't the best. I have read stuff where it still works, but not the absolute correct application. I have not read anywhere where it causes problems, just not the right stuff.

Because GD has gone to using Alpha systems TPO roof I have gone to the Alpha system Product Care web site for good information on what needs to be used to care for our TPO roofs. I will only use their recommended products on my roof.

How do you tell the difference between EPDM and TPO. If you have seen both it's easy, but if you haven't it get's trickier. EPDM is kind of soft, duh, like rubber. It's smooth, if you press your thumb into it and try to rub it may bunch up a little or leave a thumb print, it's soft and smooth. TPO is harder and somewhat pebbled, little bumps. If you press your thumb onto it and rub it will just slip, no bunching.

EPDM used to have some maintenance, cleaning and sealing, every year. TPO requires no maintenance, unless it get compromised, like say a tree branch...

If you don't know for sure and can't believe or understand the test above you can call GD customer support with your VIN number and they will tell you which kind of roof you have.

So to seal an Alpha TPO roof the manufacturer recommends you use Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant. I would tend to run with that and apply it liberally.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the video on this subject at changinglanesrv.com They have great tech, travel, and motorcycle ride videos. They are also Grand Design Ambassadors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12