User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual axle tire rotation

Any thoughts on rotating tires on dual axle trailers?

From the net I found lot of advice on changing tires but only a few on rotation and only one that showed the sequence (Back tires to the front same side, Front tires to the back opposite side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yn-qo8An7Y. Also one video saying don't rotate unless you are seeing uneven wear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LBwf2dzNQs.

I guess my question is: What is the correct rotation sequence or should you do it at all if you don't see any issues?
    MrBaker
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2011 Ford F250 Lariat 6.2 L

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaker View Post

From the net I found lot of advice on changing tires but only a few on rotation and only one that showed the sequence (Back tires to the front same side, Front tires to the back opposite side) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yn-qo8An7Y. Also one video saying don't rotate unless you are seeing uneven wear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LBwf2dzNQs.

I guess my question is: What is the correct rotation sequence or should you do it at all if you don't see any issues?
    I have never rotated my trailer tires. I have always found that mine age out before they wear out so personal opinion is not to unless you are doing a lot of towing and will wear them out first.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbaker View Post

I rotate them the same as my TV. I do it roughly every 5,000 miles (towing). I see very even wear on all four tires. Trailer now has 13,500 miles on original tires. I do not know that it is needed, but figure it does not hurt.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no advantage or disadvantage to rotating trailer tires on properly aligned and evenly weighted axles. The reason automobile tires are rotated is to balance out the wear taken at the steer positions, and for the lead-footers amongst us spinning 1 drive position in an open differential. Trailers are generally tracking straight down the road and on ribbed tire designs. That said, if you have a triple axle trailer it definitely helps to rotate given the resistance in tight turns.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would do x pattern rotation . Front driver to rear curb side, rear curb to front driver. Then rear driver to front curb, and front curb to rear driver side. Did I get that right? Depending on how your trailer tracks in a turn, one axle will slide more than the other depending on which axle the trailer pivots on.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your trailer is level, rotation doesn't really matter (I think?)
    If you are nose low or nose high then you should IMO.
    A couple years ago on another brand of trailer I had the right rear tire come apart on me. My fifth wheel was nose high. Not a lot, but you could notice it if you were looking for it. Upon inspecting the remaining three tires after I got home I noticed the front two tires were fine. The other rear tire had numerous cracks in the tire between the tread blocks. Sidewalls were fine. I attribute this to the extra weight the rear axle was subjected to because of the nose high stance and I had never rotated the tires.
    As for how to rotate, I agree with powerscol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rotate mine front to back, back to front when I pack the bearings.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC