User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The [Tesla] is a publicly traded company going after the trucking market, they have yet to really show much more than promises and there have been accusations it's getting pretty deep over there in the smelly stuff
    Tesla has been running two Electric Semis every since they announced the Electric Semi. The Semis have been spotted all across the country and have often been spotted on the West Coast hauling loads (usually between the Giga Factory and the Fremont Factory). One Tesla Semi has been spotted hauling around a flatbed trailer with concrete blocks weighing 75,000 lbs (total truck weight) for testing purposes in the mountains around California.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @orbiker and @Aridon Both you guys have hit the biggest problems I see for the next 20-30 years. As the housing market and population grow the power grid is not keeping up (power grid has been on the edge for 60 years). Also as in the state I live in fossil fuel produced electricity is going away. I'm not aware of any new nuclear power plants and the wind/solar power being able to keep up with demands if iffy at best at the current time. The weight of batteries and shape of current RV's does not look good for at least 10+ years. Is there a market for all electric? When the price of diesel climbs back over $5 a gallon I will have to limit my number of trips. Also those of us near hydro power can forget cheap electricity which would tend to price me out of the market. I believe that we can make and produce an all electric RV but what will it cost? I'm also guessing that just maybe my grandchildren may be able to RV with all electric
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see a Ford commercial on TV last night that they are claiming to be all electric by 2035
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    There have been studies that look at this "What If" question. The results show that there would be no problem supplying electricity for 100% electric transportation because there is plenty of capacity on the electric grid right now, additionally, the switch to electric transportation would happen gradually, over a period of several years, which would allow for installation of additional generating capacity. The key to accommodating electric vehicle charging is to shift charging times to the early morning hours, there is plenty of extra capacity available while most people are sleeping.

The electric grid is sized to accommodate our electrical needs on the highest usage day of the year (usually in summertime on the hottest day of the year), at all other times there is excess capacity that is sitting idle (peaking power stations) just waiting to be called into service. One issue that is starting to appear on our electrical grid is an excess of generation capacity mid-day due to all the Solar Panels in use, this is creating times where charging an EV would be beneficial for the grid, all it takes is software that can communicate with the utility that lets an EV know when to charge.
    Tell that to those of us who reside in CA......where brown outs during hot weather and or wildfire times are NORMAL.......consequently if the 15,000,000+ cars in CA are forced to electric only, clearly there will be a vast gap in need versus availability. While all electric transportation may indeed be the future, that future is a long ways off.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been studies that look at this "What If" question. The results show that there would be no problem supplying electricity for 100% electric transportation because there is plenty of capacity on the electric grid right now . . .
    Please identify these “studies?” Studies can point to anything depending on who is doing the studying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    I did see a Ford commercial on TV last night that they are claiming to be all electric by 2035
    As said previously, we’ve been promised affordable flying cars for over 50 years.

It’s easy to promise something in 15 years. Those doing the promising are unlikely to be in a position to provide it or to be held accountable for it.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your enthusiasm for solar. In fact we have a solar system on our house. But here in the People's Republic of California, they can't even keep the lights on. We've had so many brown and blackouts it's getting ridiculous. It feels like we're living in a 3rd world country. As much as I love solar, no way could I depend on this state to provide electricity for my vehicle on a reliable basis. They keep building housing and encroaching into wildlands and farmlands. But the infrastructure isn't there to keep up. It's becoming a big problem.

There have been studies that look at this "What If" question. The results show that there would be no problem supplying electricity for 100% electric transportation because there is plenty of capacity on the electric grid right now, additionally, the switch to electric transportation would happen gradually, over a period of several years, which would allow for installation of additional generating capacity. The key to accommodating electric vehicle charging is to shift charging times to the early morning hours, there is plenty of extra capacity available while most people are sleeping.

The electric grid is sized to accommodate our electrical needs on the highest usage day of the year (usually in summertime on the hottest day of the year), at all other times there is excess capacity that is sitting idle (peaking power stations) just waiting to be called into service. One issue that is starting to appear on our electrical grid is an excess of generation capacity mid-day due to all the Solar Panels in use, this is creating times where charging an EV would be beneficial for the grid, all it takes is software that can communicate with the utility that lets an EV know when to charge.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A privately own company just flew American astronauts to the ISS for the first time in history and did so at a fraction of the cost and landed the first stage on an fully automated unmanned barge in the middle of the ocean to be reused. All of this was unthinkable and said to be impossible 10 years ago by NASA. I think with people like Musk, Jobs, Gates, Page, Bezos... have and will continue to make a big difference in the way we live and will live for the greater good. Sure they'll be filling their wallets but you cant argue the good they've accomplished so far.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    A privately own company just flew American astronauts to the ISS for the first time in history and did so at a fraction of the cost and landed the first stage on an fully automated unmanned barge in the middle of the ocean to be reused. All of this was unthinkable and said to be impossible 10 years ago by NASA. I think with people like Musk, Jobs, Gates, Page, Bezos... have and will continue to make a big difference in the way we live and will live for the greater good. Sure they'll be filling their wallets but you cant argue the good they've accomplished so far.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    The key is private industry. A wise man once said "government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem". ​
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    I said AFFORDABLE. Cheap once you get there, but getting to Tantueen is NOT cheap.

None the less, wouldn’t this be really, really fun?

Best post I've seen on here. 😆

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast