User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really surprised at the payload of your 2500. My F150 HD sticker payload is 2743. If 2096 is your sticker payload, I think you have a problem. People, gas, 5th wheel hitch all take away from payload. I did the CAT scale thing for my truck and 150 series 295RL which was about 80% loaded. My pin weight was 1620, 16.8% of the trailer weight (I think these 150 series are built with a smaller % pin weight in mind). When the trailer is fully loaded I expect pin weight of 1715. All my measurements are documented in another thread. I hope the 260RD is much lighter.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realize that the maximum GVRW for a 3/4 ton truck is 10,000. This is to avoid the truck being a Class 3 truck with higher federal fees. If you look at your axle ratings a different picture emerges. My 2500 has a rear axle rating of 6040 pounds and a front axle rating of 6000 pounds. These are the numbers you should not exceed. Based on wheels, tires, axles, and brakes (which are the same as the 3500) the GVRW should be 12,040 pounds. This is what the truck can safely handle. The 10,000 is an artificial number for federal fees.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdrifter1 View Post
    Realize that the maximum GVRW for a 3/4 ton truck is 10,000. This is to avoid the truck being a Class 3 truck with higher federal fees. If you look at your axle ratings a different picture emerges. My 2500 has a rear axle rating of 6040 pounds and a front axle rating of 6000 pounds. These are the numbers you should not exceed. Based on wheels, tires, axles, and brakes (which are the same as the 3500) the GVRW should be 12,040 pounds. This is what the truck can safely handle. The 10,000 is an artificial number for federal fees.
    Your axle ratings are exactly the same as mine. My sticker on my truck shows a max load capacity of 2096. I have yet to weigh my truck but plan to in the next week or two to get the truck weight of the truck empty and with myself and my wife (full tank of diesel and DEF) so I know what I am starting out with before I load anything else in the truck to include the hitch weight of a Reflection half-ton 5th wheel. We got a change to look at a 295RL last Saturday and we really liked it. Based on the following URL, with the sticker values and my estimation of load and the hitch weight of the 295RL, we can tow it: https://brandonreid.github.io/truck-...ity/index.html. We would have about 205 lbs left out of our 2096 payload capacity.

I'm actually more interested in the Reflection travel trailer, 315RLTS. With it, we would have 531 lbs left out of our 2096 payload capacity and even if using 12% of the GVWR of the TT for hitch weight (1355), we would still have 241 lbs left of our 2096 payload capacity, definitely safely towable for my TV.

I should mention that if I got the 5th wheel route with the 295RL or 260RD, I plan to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch which I believe only weights 40lbs so much lighter than the hitches in the 150-200 lbs range. I've read many threads about it and have researched it on the Anderson website. Very impressive hitch in my opinion.
    Last edited by CodyWyBound; 11-18-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyWyBound View Post
    Your axle ratings are exactly the same as mine. My sticker on my truck shows a max load capacity of 2096. I have yet to weigh my truck but plan to in the next week or two to get the truck weight of the truck empty and with myself and my wife (full tank of diesel and DEF) so I know what I am starting out with before I load anything else in the truck to include the hitch weight of a Reflection half-ton 5th wheel. We got a change to look at a 295RL last Saturday and we really liked it. Based on the following URL, with the sticker values and my estimation of load and the hitch weight of the 295RL, we can tow it: https://brandonreid.github.io/truck-...ity/index.html. We would have about 205 lbs left out of our 2096 payload capacity.

I'm actually more interested in the Reflection travel trailer, 315RLTS. With it, we would have 531 lbs left out of our 2096 payload capacity and even if using 12% of the GVWR of the TT for hitch weight (1355), we would still have 241 lbs left of our 2096 payload capacity, definitely safely towable for my TV.

I should mention that if I got the 5th wheel route with the 295RL or 260RD, I plan to use the Anderson Ultimate Hitch which I believe only weights 40lbs so much lighter than the hitches in the 150-200 lbs range. I've read many threads about it and have researched it on the Anderson website. Very impressive hitch in my opinion.
    I used an Anderson hitch for the weight saving also. Very happy with it overall. If I had the time to do it again, I think I would have gone with a Reese Goosebox, as my truck (F250 6.7L CCSB) has a B&W turnover ball. The Anderson hitch is easy to take out and install, alone, but it does require tools to do it.

The Goosebox is within a few pounds of the Anderson hitch and the stock pin box, and it provides an adjustable air cushion. Anderson hitch will run 8-900$, and the Goosebox is $1100 everyday on etrailer. My dealer wouldn’t install the Goosebox for less than $700 in labor, I got my own Anderson hitch for $800 and drove away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    I used an Anderson hitch for the weight saving also. Very happy with it overall. If I had the time to do it again, I think I would have gone with a Reese Goosebox, as my truck (F250 6.7L CCSB) has a B&W turnover ball. The Anderson hitch is easy to take out and install, alone, but it does require tools to do it.

The Goosebox is within a few pounds of the Anderson hitch and the stock pin box, and it provides an adjustable air cushion. Anderson hitch will run 8-900$, and the Goosebox is $1100 everyday on etrailer. My dealer wouldn’t install the Goosebox for less than $700 in labor, I got my own Anderson hitch for $800 and drove away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Two things: Be advised that no other hitch, a goosebox or otherwise will bolt up to the Turning Point hitch attachment of a 260RD that the OP asked about. You are stuck with it.
    With a little internet scrounging I was able to get my Andersen Ultimate for $700 and free shipping. Also with the Andersen hitch you cannot use the Turning Point hinge feature, it needs to remain locked in place. I have a 157" wheel base in my truck and a 6-1/2' bed and have had no need of the turning feature.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-20-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well and getting ready for a great Thanksgiving. Living in a blue state (Colorado), our restaurants have basically been closed done (no indoor dining but with it being cold, very few places will have outdoor dining). Anyway, I am off this entire week and I decided to go get my truck weighted (full tank of gas and DEF and a lightweight bed cover). Here are my numbers:

Steer Axle: 4960 lbs
    Drive Axle: 3180
    Gross Weight: 8140

I was in the truck (I weigh 185 and I had about 10 lbs of stuff in the cab) so taking 195 lbs away, the truck base/curb weight would be 7945 lbs. With GVWR of 10000 lbs, that leaves me with a payload of 2055 lbs. That is actually 41 lbs less than the yellow sticker that says not to exceed 2096 lbs. My 2020 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7l cummins Crew Cab is well equipped so that is why the payload is so low. But at least now I have solid numbers on my truck to know what I actually do have left in payload. There is no way I would come close to the GCWR of 27000 lbs or max towing capacity of 15980 lbs with just 2055 lbs in payload available!

BTW, my front GAWR is 6000 lbs and my rear GAWR is 6040. Am I right to assume that the steer axle is the reference to the rear axle and the drive axle is the front axle? Does that mean as is that I would only be able to put 1080 lbs on the rear axle (6040 - 4960) unless I have a WDH?

I'm getting to the point that I am strongly considering trading my TV in for a Ram 3500 dually so we can get the 5th wheel or TT we want to live in full-time. If we don't go the Airstream route, then I will probably get a bigger TV. I've learned a major lesson. I love my truck but I wrongly concluded when I bought it that it would be able to tow what we want looking at the wrong numbers.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Am I right to assume that the steer axle is the reference to the rear axle and the drive axle is the front axle?
    The steer axle is the front. Drive is the rear. You are smart to shop for a 3500 DRW. With that, you can buy any 5th wheel or trailer you want!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well and getting ready for a great Thanksgiving. Living in a blue state (Colorado), our restaurants have basically been closed done (no indoor dining but with it being cold, very few places will have outdoor dining). Anyway, I am off this entire week and I decided to go get my truck weighted (full tank of gas and DEF and a lightweight bed cover). Here are my numbers:
    Steer Axle: 4960 lbs
    Drive Axle: 3180
    Gross Weight: 8140
    I was in the truck (I weigh 185 and I had about 10 lbs of stuff in the cab) so taking 195 lbs away, the truck base/curb weight would be 7945 lbs. With GVWR of 10000 lbs, that leaves me with a payload of 2055 lbs. That is actually 41 lbs less than the yellow sticker that says not to exceed 2096 lbs. My 2020 RAM 2500 Laramie 6.7l cummins Crew Cab is well equipped so that is why the payload is so low. But at least now I have solid numbers on my truck to know what I actually do have left in payload. There is no way I would come close to the GCWR of 27000 lbs or max towing capacity of 15980 lbs with just 2055 lbs in payload available!
    You did good now you have a good baseline to work from. BTW the bedcover and a FULL tank of gas is just enough to give the payload discrepancy. There is a standard J**** something or other that allows for a half tank and one person when calculating payload. None of that is material as you have a real number now.

BTW, my front GAWR is 6000 lbs and my rear GAWR is 6040. Am I right to assume that the steer axle is the reference to the rear axle and the drive axle is the front axle? Does that mean as is that I would only be able to put 1080 lbs on the rear axle (6040 - 4960) unless I have a WDH?
    The drive axle is the rear axle as it pushes or drives your vehicle. The steer axle is the front as the wheels direct the vehicle which way you want to go. The steer is almost always rated less than the drive and as you have seen the drive has less static weight on it unloaded than the steer axle. Especially with that diesel engine up front. You need to recalculate your loading. 6000-4960=1040 and 6040-3180= 2860 respectively. The payload is determined by the manufacturer based on their engineering determining a safe limit for the complete vehicle. Some, and I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, go by axle loading. I think for all intents your approach is better and safer. As you pointed out you would run out of payload long before you reach any tow limit.

{QUOTE=CodyWyBound;332197]I'm getting to the point that I am strongly considering trading my TV in for a Ram 3500 dually so we can get the 5th wheel or TT we want to live in full-time. If we don't go the Airstream route, then I will probably get a bigger TV. I've learned a major lesson. I love my truck but I wrongly concluded when I bought it that it would be able to tow what we want looking at the wrong numbers.
    Thanks for your input everyone![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water just yet. You have a big investment in that truck and the fifth wheels you mentioned are within a safe towing capacity. Also if you go to a bumper pull you could get a mighty big trailer. If you are new to this I wouldn't try to shoot for the moon right away. Get something you like that works with the truck and see if it works for you. You might find that 40" 16,000# Goliath isn't really what you want to deal with and a 30 - 32' 9500# rig is a comfortable range to handle. I know the bling catches your eye but think about the time you need to pull it down the road or maneuver it into a tight spot.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-23-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    The steer axle is the front. Drive is the rear. You are smart to shop for a 3500 DRW. With that, you can buy any 5th wheel or trailer you want!
    Ok, that makes sense. So, the difference at the moment on the weight on the rear axle from the GAWR is 2860 lbs (6040 - 3180). So, we would not exceed the axle ratings since our payload is only 2055.

Don't get me wrong. We have found some very nice travel trailers that our truck can pull, particularly the Airstream TT and we really like the Reflection 315RLTS. We also like some of the floorplans for the Imagine series. We just have to decide if we feel we can be comfortable full timing in a 30ft or less TT. We made the mistake of looking at the more luxury 5th wheels before realizing that our truck can't tow them so another lesson learned.

We are still 1-2 years out on purchasing our RV and much can change in that time including me deciding to get a different TV or there seem to be some really nice <30 ft TT coming out that look really comfortable (for example the InTech RV Terra Oasis). We really like the European style caravans (they call them caravans in Europe but we call them TT). There is one built in Slovenia that I wish we could get. All of them are 6000 lbs or less.
    Last edited by CodyWyBound; 11-23-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 260RD - Loaded for a weekend trip (Full propane, water, food, etc) I measure 1400 lbs. on the hitch, 7100 on the axles for trailer weight of 8500 lbs. I've done it a couple times on truck scales. So closer to 17% on the hitch for this unit - but like everything, if you're carrying your souvenir lead bar collection under the bed...well....

I think the lack of a front slide helps on pin weight. Basement has some tools/chairs/etc, and we have a heavier mattress - but nothing really heavy.
    Jamie & Heidi
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2012 GMC 3500 Duramax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast