Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Imagine 2540RL Kitchen sink/gray tank gasses

For the second time after 2 or 3 days we have the kitchen sink venting gases back inside.

For the record no problems with the bathroom fixtures with gray tank gasses.

We have our gray valves open to the sewer and black valve closed.

The vent for the sink goes thru the wall directly outside and is above above the p-trap. The p-trap has a water seal.
    The screwed type fittings are tight and no leakage (water) was observed.
    The sewer lines going thru the floor to the tank has the expanding gray/black foam but is isn't completely sealing around the pipe, so I've plugged them temporarily with paper toweling till I can fill-up the voids.

But no gasses should be coming up thru the floor? I wouldn't think so. Gases from the tank should vent thru the kitchen's sidewall vent, correct?

I've not removed the the vent cap on the side wall but will do that to check for any restrictions but we have seen some suds come out and smelled gasses in that area, already.

We have dumped about a cup of baking soda in the drain and flushed to help with the odor, but may need to follow up with more baking soda followed by vinegar, followed by boiling water to clean piping more thoroughly.

Has anyone experienced the same or and ideas what else to look into.

I also searched the forum but didn't find and thing similar to my set of circumstances. There is no air admittance vent at the sink , unless there is another device some where else in this system.

A set off diagrams or schematic of this system would be great to have.

BTW, we are new beginners to TT life.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure your vent goes out the side wall? I had an imagine 2500RB for years and it had one vent stack to the roof not the side wall. I never heard of a non vertical plumbing vent before, but I'm no expert. The only vent on the side on my imagine trailer was for cooking on the stove. When open it would just flap a little when the exhaust fan was turned on. Anyway, I have always kept both grey and black gates closed until I needed to dump. I do the same even on my reflection now. Those campground septic tanks really smell bad and a little baking soda is not going to help at all. Even with your vent you will still get a smell. Keep it closed all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post
    For the second time after 2 or 3 days we have the kitchen sink venting gases back inside.

For the record no problems with the bathroom fixtures with gray tank gasses.

We have our gray valves open to the sewer and black valve closed.

The vent for the sink goes thru the wall directly outside and is above above the p-trap. The p-trap has a water seal.
    The screwed type fittings are tight and no leakage (water) was observed.
    The sewer lines going thru the floor to the tank has the expanding gray/black foam but is isn't completely sealing around the pipe, so I've plugged them temporarily with paper toweling till I can fill-up the voids.

But no gasses should be coming up thru the floor? I wouldn't think so. Gases from the tank should vent thru the kitchen's sidewall vent, correct?

I've not removed the the vent cap on the side wall but will do that to check for any restrictions but we have seen some suds come out and smelled gasses in that area, already.

We have dumped about a cup of baking soda in the drain and flushed to help with the odor, but may need to follow up with more baking soda followed by vinegar, followed by boiling water to clean piping more thoroughly.

Has anyone experienced the same or and ideas what else to look into.

I also searched the forum but didn't find and thing similar to my set of circumstances. There is no air admittance vent at the sink , unless there is another device some where else in this system.

A set off diagrams or schematic of this system would be great to have.

BTW, we are new beginners to TT life.
    We have the 2450RL. The only thing we do different than you is to keep
    our gray valves closed and dump every couple of days (Full Hookups).
    By keeping gray valves closed we wash out the line by dumping gray
    after the black tank dump. Our sink vent goes thru wall.
    Hope this helps and best of Luck.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    We have the 2450RL. The only thing we do different than you is to keep
    our gray valves closed and dump every couple of days (Full Hookups).
    By keeping gray valves closed we wash out the line by dumping gray
    after the black tank dump.
    Hi Bob, thanks for chiming in, I closed mine yesterday in an effort to determine if it is our tank with the odor our coming from the hookup system. So far no odor, so i guess its not mine at this point.

BTW, made the changes on the WDH and everything nearly perfect, steering , braking, and ride all improved.

Also tried using my stud finder for those studs, it sensed the one by the door and one by the window, but didn't give me a clear indication anywhere in between. Which my common sense says there should be at least one. But there is electrical in that wall that it alerted to. My stud is not high end but it has managed well for me. I'm going to change the battery and see if anything different pops up. I'll let you know.

IMOP, I think we paid enough for our TT and GD should make the "AS BUILT" drawings available to us. The auto industry provides workshop manuals for our vehicle, right. I would even pay for a reasonable set of documentation. TT take a lot of maintenance so the information should be readily available.

Dana
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dana
    Glad to hear things are going well for you and your WDH fine tuning.
    Alice and I just completed a trip to Jupiter and Daytona Beach Florida.
    We left Jupiter 5 hours before the 12 inches of rain came in.
    The trip up I-95 from Jupiter to Daytona was very windy but the 3500 did its job.
    We really enjoyed our time in the 2450rl.
    Some form of a blue print would be nice but the trailers are not built
    to matching standards in all cases so we are probably just wishing.
    Good Luck and enjoy your travels.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what is was worth I removed the side wall vent cover today to check how is assembled.
    1) The pipe goes thru the wall and there is probably a 1/2" clearance around the pipe.
    2) at the end of the pipe there is a fitting with a bulkhead flange to seal the pipe to the side of the TT.

My observations:
    1) the fitting wasn't very tight and centered to make a complete seal to the sidewall of the TT.
    2) there is no gasket to make a better seal between bulkhead and the side wall of the TT
    The bulkhead fitting is pretty hard and has ridges on the contact side to the TT ,I would think to make a seal
    3) There was a gap around the pipe thru to the inside the TT.

My solutions:
    1) filled in gaps around the pipe and the side wall of the TT with expanding foam
    2) added a thin rubber gasket between the bulkhead flange and the the side wall of the TT. and tighten it down securely.

While the amount of gaps were small, maybe there was enough to allow gasses to travel back into the TT.

I will see next time we take a trip and test the system.

BTW I requested a diagram of the plumbing system from GD and received it promptly, so an "attaboy" to GD customer support.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)