User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We probably spent time in the same place, then... I retired from FT Gordon.

Rob
    I went there. I was a year in AIT for Satcom, 29Y. Then they sent this Greek to Turkey in a remote location that no longer exists for the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm towing our Solitude 310GK with a 2020 F-350 SRW. The extra rear tires on our 2019 F-350 DRW made it a safer tow vehicle but the new powertrain on the 2020 F-350 SRW actually make it a better towing experience for me. Noticeably more power. Of course, a 2020 DRW would be a win-win!

The 310GK is the only Solitude I would tow with an SRW as it pushes SRW diesel payload to the max. if I were to get another dually, I'd skip the F-350 and get an F-450. Tighter turning radius, heavier brakes and axles, larger commercial truck tires, etc.
    Great info. I really like the 6.7 and for some nutty reason the 6.0 just as much, if not more. Maybe from being a wrench it’s bc easier to work on for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I tow mine with a 2012 SRW 3500 Ram. My axle weights are less than the sticker, but I'm about 900# over the truck's GVWR. The newer 1-ton pickups, all brands, have higher GVWRs than my '12 does. Not sure if that's marketing or beefier suspension.

I'm comfortable when pulling, but I did make a conscious decision to make 65 mph my top speed after I got the actual weights. Being overweight was one reason I switched my battery bank from lead-acid AGMs to Lithium. I dropped more than 350# off the pin by going Lithium.

-Steve
    Thanks Steve! So that means we can have four BB for the weight of two! LOL. I guess I can put a bike rack on and load it up with 300lbs of sand bags. YIKES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm towing our Solitude 310GK with a 2020 F-350 SRW. The extra rear tires on our 2019 F-350 DRW made it a safer tow vehicle but the new powertrain on the 2020 F-350 SRW actually make it a better towing experience for me. Noticeably more power. Of course, a 2020 DRW would be a win-win!

The 310GK is the only Solitude I would tow with an SRW as it pushes SRW diesel payload to the max. if I were to get another dually, I'd skip the F-350 and get an F-450. Tighter turning radius, heavier brakes and axles, larger commercial truck tires, etc.
    In California, used truck prices come at a premium, especially since COVID-19. It’s actually easier to find a good F-350 DRRw and order disc brakes on a 310GK. I know it’s not the same, but it does make it better.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a SRW and a 310 GK, I don't have the generator or W & D and have a pin weight with full tanks of just under 2600#. I think you would want air bags or Timbren springs to keep level. I agree duals would be nice but I have a SRW supplied to me so that is what I use, and it feels quite secure. I have good tires and keep them aired to 80#

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhspaulding View Post
    I tow with a SRW and a 310 GK, I don't have the generator or W & D and have a pin weight with full tanks of just under 2600#. I think you would want air bags or Timbren springs to keep level. I agree duals would be nice but I have a SRW supplied to me so that is what I use, and it feels quite secure. I have good tires and keep them aired to 80#
    Appreciate the feedback.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhspaulding View Post
    Those numbers don't make sense. I'd like to see your weight tickets. Do you have load range G tires? If so, you are running them underinflated.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A loaded 310GK will put over 3,300 lbs. on the pin. I have the weight tickets to prove it. Get the numbers for the truck off the door sticker, the trailer's GVWR, and plug everything in here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

A properly configured 1-ton SRW could do it... we feel safer with a DRW truck towing the Solitude 310GK.

Rob

As an owner of a 310GK, I agree it is doable but with little margin. The pin weight while a large portion of the impact on payload you also have to factor in yourself, any passengers you may have, added accessories to the truck you may have or want to add and cargo - all of which can easily put you over the rated payload capacity of the truck.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those numbers don't make sense. I'd like to see your weight tickets. Do you have load range G tires? If so, you are running them underinflated. Rob
    I agree that the pin weight with full tanks seems unlikely-low, but regarding tires I read his post to mean that he inflates his SRW tow vehicle tires to 80psi, not his trailer tires which would be seriously under-inflated at 80psi. @bhspaulding?
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never towed a Solitude with a SRW so I can't offer any comparison. I will say that from all the research I did on this forum I went with DRW and glad I did. The towing is effortless thru mountains, crosswinds, etc. My next Solitude will be pulled by DRW.

I've weighed twice: (1) "lightly loaded" meaning minimal gear, no food, water and (2) "partially loaded" meaning, more gear, ~30g water, etc. Pin weights came in at 2740 and 2840 respectively. No on-board gen, no W/D. The only thing I've added up front is a 2nd LA battery.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast