User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Towing 310GK

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Couch View Post
    While you may be correct with the pin weight, i highly doubt any SRW other than a reg cab maybe will be able to legally pull a 310GK, as i own a 2019 F350 XLT SRW 8ft bed crew cab. It is configured for towing and has one of the highest cargo capacities with limited additional weight. Its cargo cap is 3383. I searched for nearly 4 months to find the highest cargo cap. I could and never found one higher. Attachment 30749ie
    There a plenty of Rams Long Bed SRW GVWR of 12,000 and 12,300 and Ford has increased theirs. You can pull a 310 with one of these trucks. later FrankClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191212_154722.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	30753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ram payload.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	30754
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, whats your GVWR on that truck....Attachment 30752
    So this is where it comes into play for one to go to the CAT scales with a full tank and 5th wheel hitch installed. My truck label shows higher cargo capacity but lower rear axle numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9DFFB61E-37D9-4D73-AE9D-D734A5CCC839.jpeg  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRider84 View Post
    Thanks Frank!

I have seen that Dodge GM, and Ford all have done a better job with the newer trucks when it comes to payload, towing capacity and GVWR. Technology & evolution is wonderful at times. Every year we see each of the the three take turns to be king of the big trucks. I like all three for different reasons. When my wife and I want to blow some time we go and look at all the new trucks and she chuckles as I open doors to see the yellow stickers.

My wife really like the look of the rear fender well design on Dodge and Chevy in that order on the newer DRW trucks. But the con is if one happens to ding the fender well area, the whole fender needs to be addressed. Ford’s still look like Mickey Mouse ears but the good thing is it’s easier to replace the fender well. Some people love Mickey. LOL I think that GM and Ford should also copy Dodge and have Mega Cabs.

I have friends that have always bought GM regardless until the bailout. Then they switched to Ford or Dodge. Now I have a few friends that switch to GM just bc of the tailgate. When I was younger and dumber I was one that would argue mine is better than yours. Now I’m more, they all are great and let’s all go have some fun kind of guy.

Forget “towing capacity” Its more a marketing number, in reality you’ll hit the rear axel or GVWR long before you run into tow capacity. Also, all 3 brand trucks are limited by the tire wt. ratings available in these size tires which is around 3650#. So 2 of those give 7300# on the rear axle, subtract off the rear axle empty wt. and you’ll have your cargo or pin wt capacity.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be towing my new 2021 Solitude 310GKR with my new SRW 2020 Ram 3500 One Ton Crew Cab Short Box HO Cummins here is its door sticker looks like 3588lbs! Hope it works out for me cause I’m not buying a new tow rig, plus it has the factory Ram Air Suspension.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E42E6451-BD50-48CB-BFEF-7F34FDA4D013.jpeg   B27E0E61-4945-41DF-A920-0A5B997C578F.jpg  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilly1 View Post
    I’ll be towing my new 2021 Solitude 310GKR with my new SRW 2020 Ram 3500 One Ton Crew Cab Short Box HO Cummins here is its door sticker looks like 3588lbs! Hope it works out for me cause I’m not buying a new tow rig, plus it has the factory Ram Air Suspension.

Take it sir and enjoy you will be good to go.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you may be correct with the pin weight, i highly doubt any SRW other than a reg cab maybe will be able to legally pull a 310GK, as i own a 2019 F350 XLT SRW 8ft bed crew cab. It is configured for towing and has one of the highest cargo capacities with limited additional weight. Its cargo cap is 3383. I searched for nearly 4 months to find the highest cargo cap. I could and never found one higher. Attachment 30749ie
    Hi Earl, I have a 2019 RAM, Big Horn, Crew Cab, 8' Box, Cummins Turbo Diesel GVWR = 12300# Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 RAM Payload.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	30783
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I've never towed a Solitude with a SRW so I can't offer any comparison. I will say that from all the research I did on this forum I went with DRW and glad I did. The towing is effortless thru mountains, crosswinds, etc. My next Solitude will be pulled by DRW.

I've weighed twice: (1) "lightly loaded" meaning minimal gear, no food, water and (2) "partially loaded" meaning, more gear, ~30g water, etc. Pin weights came in at 2740 and 2840 respectively. No on-board gen, no W/D. The only thing I've added up front is a 2nd LA battery.
    So true and my happy towing experience. Funny story, the first time I towed our 310GK in heavy wind I was totally unaware until we stopped at a rest stop and I opened the door to let my dogs out and had a hell of a time keeping it from slamming in on us. When my wife got out of her car she said "wow that wind was something, how did you do towing? I told her I was unaware until I opened the doors.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    If you truck weight in at 8100 unloaded and 11,100 loaded you would have a 3000 pound pin. You didn't allow for the increase on the front axle of 220.
    11,100 - 8100 = 3000 pound pin.
    After further review you are correct, I did not add in the 220 lbs for the steer axle. Thank you for pointing this out and I have revised my pin weight.
    Mark

Pin Weight 3000 (21.3%)
    RV Weight 14,080
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been towing a 310gk since 2017 with a 2017 Chevy 3500 SRW. I added some weight to my truck and it is heavy! I added a heavy duty front bumper and 18k winch, 60 gallon aluminum fuel tank with pump and carry a 5500 watt Onan quiet diesel generator in the bed of the truck. One thing I found out early is to travel with a full tank of freshwater in the 310 because it removes weight from the pin. I won't lie, I am over on my trucks gvw rating, but under on axle ratings barely. I have upgraded tires on the truck that increases weight capacity to 3640 each and wheels that are rated at the same. My truck handles like a dream and with the disc brakes on the 310, stopping is effortless. With the factory drum brakes on the 310, stopping was a bigger risk for a law suit than anyone should ever worry about being a little over on the truck. If I want to be legal in my truck, I just burn off some of my extra fuel which doesn't take long. I run my truck and trailer across free Wyoming DOT scales all the time and weigh each axle. The only time I was concerned was on a trip in Jan of 19 when my fresh water valve didn't seal and leaked out all of my fresh water. It added over 400 lbs to my pin!
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Wow! As @Second Chance definitely provided you some good info, I'm surprised at the difference between actual weight and published weight, 1000lbs difference is a lot. In that case, you might want to rethink using your truck as once you add the hitch and passengers you are most likely in dually territory. I'd be concerned with that amount of weight exceeding your rear axle capacity with your current truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    If you are close on your numbers, I would recommend switching out your pinbox for the Reese GooseBox, this eliminates the added weight of the hitch in the truck. This is especially true if you already have the factory "puck system" in your truck.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast