User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Towing 310GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Look good, so what kind of hitch do you have, I was looking at one but I have the PullRite Superlite #2600 towing with a 2018 dodge ram 3500, I'm not sure if I can get the turn radius that I need?
    Using a B&W Companion Manual Slider
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    I know that the thought police are going to be after me, but here is a picture of my 310 GK and my 2020 F250 with Timbrens. As you can see there is no rear sag and it tows fine. Yes I wish I had a 350, but there is nothing around these days.
    The safety issue is only one factor of towing over manufacture recommendations. I paid for the information about towing above manufacture specs from an accident lawyer and he used the sample of a 3/4 ton a 5er as a red flag of exceeding manufacture specs. I also have couple customer that is lawyers and they also used the same example. The only question I asked was what do they think of towing overweight and they already knew about 3/4 tons trucks and 5ers and using the published specs of the 5er and the truck to determine if they were overweight of Manufactures a GVWR.

What GMC (and others) state about towing over GVWR “Overloading your truck or SUV can carry severe consequences, including”
    http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...-weight-rating
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-26-2021 at 09:49 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    The safety issue is only one factor of towing over manufacture recommendations. I paid for the information about towing the above manufacture specs from an accident lawyer and he used the sample of a 3/4 ton a 5er as a red flag of exceeding manufacture specs. I also have couple customer that is lawyers and they also used the same example. The only question I asked was what do they think of towing overweight and they already knew about 3/4 tons trucks and 5ers and using the published specs of the 5er and the truck to determine if they were overweight of Manufactures a GVWR.

What GMC (and others) state about towing over GVWR “Overloading your truck or SUV can carry severe consequences, including”
    http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...-weight-rating
    There is very little difference between a 2020 Ford F 250 and 350. The frame brakes wheels tires are exactly the same. The only difference is the extra leaf in the rear and slightly heaver springs i the front of the 350. The difference is the class of truck. In some states anything over 10,000 lbs is commercial. Did you ever wonder why every 2020 F 250 is rated at 10,000 lbs. Why not 10,001 or 9,999 surely they couldn't all be exactly the same.ou are just as safe pulling a trailer of the same weight with either truck. Now if you are talking dually you have a point. I would expect a dually to be much more stable and have better braking than a SRW
    Did you ever wonder why an F450 has less payload than a 350 DRW. It is because the F450 is a much heavier and more capable than a 350, but in order to stay in a certain weight class the F450 has to be rated at less payload.
    So what I am saying is that the capacity of a truck has more to do with the weight class they are fitting it into than how safe the truck is with a specific load. I am not counting 1/2 tons.
    Last edited by Malco1; 07-26-2021 at 09:18 AM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F450 is unique and purposefully capped as the F350 DRW so that it avoids being listed as a commercial vehicle by insurance companies.

Even though today’s F250 & F350 is very similar, the one thing that will never change between the two is the Yellow Sticker. It is the Yellow Sticker some sleezy ambulance chaser will go by.

Yes one can add leaf springs, better shocks, and airbags, but the Yellow Tag will never change. Then it’s up to the defendant to prove that regardless of what the Yellow Tag states, the improvements allow for the additional weight.

But hey! Life is short and everyone should do whatever he/she feels is okay by him/her. Good luck to whatever each of you do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is very little difference between a 2020 Ford F 250 and 350. The frame brakes wheels tires are exactly the same. The only difference is the extra leaf in the rear and slightly heaver springs i the front of the 350. The difference is the class of truck. In some states anything over 10,000 lbs is commercial. Did you ever wonder why every 2020 F 250 is rated at 10,000 lbs. Why not 10,001 or 9,999 surely they couldn't all be exactly the same.ou are just as safe pulling a trailer of the same weight with either truck. Now if you are talking dually you have a point. I would expect a dually to be much more stable and have better braking than a SRW
    Did you ever wonder why an F450 has less payload than a 350 DRW. It is because the F450 is a much heavier and more capable than a 350, but in order to stay in a certain weight class the F450 has to be rated at less payload.
    So what I am saying is that the capacity of a truck has more to do with the weight class they are fitting it into than how safe the truck is with a specific load. I am not counting 1/2 tons.
    That is simply not true. I went into the GMC parts counter and ask that question. He brought out a bearing that goes in the rear end and they both had the same part number and the only difference is the dash number. One stated 2500/3500 and the other one said 2500 and they both look the same except the 3500 costs more. He showed me other parts that when he types in the part number from the parts manual the quantity will change just by changing from 2500 to 3500 Go in and try order drive train parts or suspension parts without giving them the model (2500/3500) and sometimes they will even require a VIN number.

With that information, I wouldn't want to be in court trying to explain to the jury that the trucks are the same except for the stickers and there is a past truck engineer as an expert witness saying something different.

Even part of the SAE J2807 standard is you can not exceed the GVWR or GAWR or you fail the test ratings for being safe. I just error on the safe side there just to much against you if you are involved in an accident from your own truck's manual, towing guides, manufacturers websites, and even the Federal Safety Sticker on your door jam to risk it for me.

Just as a note. A friend co-signed for his son's car and he got into an accident and the damages exceeded his policy limits and the court put a lien against the equity in his home so if sells the home the court takes the equity.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-26-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as frames go my Ford 1 ton had a Class IV hitch that was de-rated by Ford from 1400 pounds to 1250 pounds max tongue weight with WD. I wanted to tow an Airstream with a 1600 pound (1280 pound empty tongue weight) tongue weight so I ask Ford to put on a Class V hitch that comes with the Max Tow Package on my year of 1 ton. After some research, Ford refused to up the ratings since the frame on the Max Tow package was a different frame. There were 5 different frames for just the 1 ton and each had different ratings.

There is different springs rates between the long bed 1 ton and short bed 1 ton but both have the same part number and the only difference is the dash number after the part number. They look the same but have different spring ratings.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-26-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I used to order all types of parts for vehicles and work with microfiche, back in the day, there were times I held parts with two completely different part numbers designated for different “sister” vehicles in my hands. The parts were exactly the same and the reason for the difference in part numbers were to track what parts sold for which vehicle only aka marketing.

I'm not saying that is the case here, but I have seen it happen in the past.

Personally, it would be nothing less than a one ton towing a 310GK. Also prefer the stability of the DRW that no SRW can easily match. I do understand why many would prefer a one ton SRW with the 310GK. Now if someone has 8k axles on their 310GK, GVWR is 18k lbs. if it is actually loaded to that amount, one has to really asses the overall situation.

Lastly, I met a really nice couple towing a 380FL, 42’ Solitude with a GMC 2500 and they were very happy with their setup. If they are happy and not asking my opinion, then who am I to say anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing I haven't seen mentioned is that right now my truck 10000# and my trailer 15000# gives me a gross weight of 25,000lbs. I am not sure but I think the F350 is rated at 11400# this would give me a gross weight of 26,400 well over the 26001 I am allowed on my peasant license in NC and I believe this is true in most other states. This means I would have to get a non commercial CDL to drive that combination. I wonder how many people out there have these type of licenses. I think I would rather be a little over weight than be driving without a license. By the way the 26,001 is not the actual weight, but the gross combined weight.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing I haven't seen mentioned is that right now my truck 10000# and my trailer 15000# gives me a gross weight of 25,000lbs. I am not sure but I think the F350 is rated at 11400# this would give me a gross weight of 26,400 well over the 26001 I am allowed on my peasant license in NC and I believe this is true in most other states. This means I would have to get a non commercial CDL to drive that combination. I wonder how many people out there have these type of licenses. I think I would rather be a little over weight than be driving without a license. By the way the 26,001 is not the actual weight, but the gross combined weight.
    When or if you get in an accident you want all your ducks in a row. You don't want to be overweight and don't make it easy on the lawyers and be overweight just by check VINs on the truck and RV. Have the non-commercial Driver's License either Class A or B as required by your state. You driving something that weighs in the 20,000 to 30,000 range that if you do get in an accident you can easily exceed your insurance coverage and end up pay out pocket for you and the other guy's medical bills. I carry a 2 million umbrella policy to pay what my auto insurance doesn't cover. Drive carefully don't speed and for God's Sake don't tailgate. Be safe out there!!!!!!
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-26-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    Dennis & Ellie

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567